Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: First ride, Sinnis Apache. 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Be careful there in London's streets. Bicycles are being mowed down at an alarming rate these days, and I can't imagine things are safer for motorbikes.

cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: First ride, Sinnis Apache. 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Be careful there in London's streets. Bicycles are being mowed down at an alarming rate these days, and I can't imagine things are safer for motorbikes.

cheers
    euphonius
    Whilst it's true that there has been an increase in the number of cyclists killed in London recently it's also true there are more and more cyclists doing stupid things on the road, people with absolutely no training set loose amongst larger vehicles on fairly narrow streets that just can't see clearly what's going on due to the design of their vehicle. The trucks need a different design, the cycle lanes need a redesign and the cyclists really need more education. Mostly those deaths are caused by cyclists riding bikes up the inside of buses and trucks at intersections and running red lights. It's not politically correct to 'blame the victim' but only a minority of the truck and bus drivers are found at fault and charged with dangerous driving or manslaughter, which tells a tale. I'm an avid cyclist and a former truck driver and have driven trucks and ridden bicycles in London. I'd say a well trained motorcyclist riding in a prudent manner was much less at risk than a completely untrained cyclist.

3. #13 Re: First ride, Sinnis Apache. 
    ZMC888, couldn't agree with you more, training and experience will get you through, London is packed with small narrow streets, a hell of a lot of cyclists ride really badly, it's often painful to watch and sometimes you just want to grab them and tell them not to be so silly for their own sake- probably only get verbal abuse if you did!

4. #14 Re: First ride, Sinnis Apache. 
    Now had the bike a month and more, riding through London has been a boon, the high seat makes it easy to see over most traffic.

I've now fitted LED running lights, long strips about 12 LEDs I think, each mounted vertically down each fork leg protector (I'll try and post some pics).

I found the Headlight very average, I have replaced it with a Zenon type bulb, soon I'll try a HID, I've seen one on eBay, the light now is better and I tend to run on Highbeam, what with the LEDs I look like a Christmas tree riding down the road!

I've found the horn to be quite weak and will be looking for a replacement (anyone know of a good one), tyres- seem ok but, a bit twitchy in the wet, once Christmas is out of the way I 'll be looking for replacement.

The engine has now loosened up a bit and it is faster, I'd imagine it's good for 70 perhaps.

The winter so far, hasn't done any damage, the bike is covered every night, regularly sprayed over with wd40 all electrical connectors have been liberally spayed with wd40 so, hopefully I won't be suffering any electrical breakdowns, one point about the electrics, it pays to check behind the Headlight, under the seat and behind each side panel, check the connectors are pushed in tight, I found a few to be only loosely connected.

Thinking about getting an alarm too, has anyone a recommendation?

That's about it, funny I haven't yet seen another apache on the road, from my experience of Japanese bikes from the 70s to the 90s big and small, this apache is as good as any of them, the finish is certainly as good and the running hear just as good too, not(touch wood) had a problem with it at all, I'm getting on a bit now (51) and probably won't do too much winter riding I'll see but, I must say, this bike has encouraged me out on days I wouldn't normally ride on, I'm really enjoying it.

Safe riding to all of you.

5. #15 Re: First ride, Sinnis Apache. 
    Change those tires mate, worth every penny to have better rubber. I think most Chinese tires are a bit too hard and might be a bit dangerous in the wet.

6. #16 Re: First ride, Sinnis Apache. 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Change those tires mate, worth every penny to have better rubber. I think most Chinese tires are a bit too hard and might be a bit dangerous in the wet.
    Yeah, they look hard, I know I've only done about 150 miles but there is absolutely no sign of wear, it's like they just got put on new not a scuff!

Somewhere I read they were Nylon tyres, this is the sort of crap the Japs were fitting in the 70s!

Considering they are made in what is a Suzuki factory in China, you'd think they would've learnt by the mistakes the Japs made in the 70's, I mean they've not made the mistakes of fitting steel brake discs that don't rust but also don't stop when wet!

I remember the Suzuki Gt380 I had that had a sticker on the fork leg warning you that the brakes might not be too effective when wet!

Oh we'll.
    Last edited by Rob1n; 12-13-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: iPad predictive text putting in the wrong words.

7. #17 Re: First ride, Sinnis Apache. 
    C-Moto Noob
    _TD27491.jpg

I too have recntly got an Apache 125, I've found it quite good so far - No problems to date!! :)

8. #18 Re: First ride, Sinnis Apache. 
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTomDaniels View Post
    _TD27491.jpg

I too have recntly got an Apache 125, I've found it quite good so far - No problems to date!! :)
    Hi, hope you enjoy it, I've found it to be a very good machine, had no major problems, last week it did cut out at traffic lights, took a couple of stabs of the starter to get it going again but, hopefully it was only the wet weather that caused that, I'll junk the metal ht cap soon as this might have caused the stall?

Have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12