Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Cfmot 650TR/TK foot peg lowering 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Some people, including myself, find the 650TK riding position cramped. I feel like my top half is in the upright touring position , legs sport bike and bum somewhere in-between. I shopped around and found foot peg lowering brackets from http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index...&products_id=2.

These brackets are for the Honda ST1300 so I took the risk, ordered them to see if they would do the job.

bike 011.jpg

The only thing I had to do was drill out the holes for the pin and replace the supplied bolts with bolts to suit the original pegs. The Honda uses about a 6mm pin where as the CF650 is 10mm. Everything else was a perfect fit and no other modifications were required.

bike 012.jpgbike 014.jpgbike 015.jpgbike 016.jpg

As you can see from the photos, the pegs end up 40mm lower, 20mm forward and 20mm wider. The gear lever simply needed to come down 1 spline and works fine. The brake lever was also adjusted down 25mm by removing the lock nut completely from the hydraulic adjusting bolt so that I could get the maximum adjustment. I am going to cut the brake pedal off and replace it with a larger one to compensate for the extra 20mm width as I find you have to twist your foot to get on the brake or just use your toe. The foot brake does work ok but I think it will be better with a larger cruiser type pedal for me.

The change in geometry for me is fantastic. My legs are no longer cramped the difference is night and day.

According to cycle-ergo.com the standard riding position for the CF650TK = knee 74 degrees and hips 79, add 20mm front and 40mm lower it says 119 and 126 degrees. I don't know if this is an accurate calculation but the difference is dramatic.

I strongly recommend this modification if like me you don't have the flexibility in your legs or are too tall for the standard set up. I would also like to find suitable bar risers and wonder if the Honda ST1300 ones will fit ?

Cheers Rob

2. #2 Re: Cfmot 650TR/TK foot peg lowering 
    Good Job Rob

Well done and thank you for posting ,1 more "must" on my list
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Cfmot 650TR/TK foot peg lowering 
    C-Moto Regular
    Would be interested on finding out about bar raisers... And if the cables etc are long enough for the extenders to be used

4. #4 Re: Cfmot 650TR/TK foot peg lowering 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have emailed 2 companies who make the risers for the ST1300 asking for bolt pattern specs but have not had a reply. The risers are expensive so I am not prepared to buy them and hope they may fit. Is there anyone out there with an ST1300 that can help ?

5. #5 Re: Cfmot 650TR/TK foot peg lowering 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    IIRC Prince666 investigated the bar riser option, removing one of the bar clip on's and found that it isn't that straight forward as simply having an alloy plate machined and fitted under the handlebar mount. I think there was potentially an issue with another bolt not associated with the clip on mount itself, hidden beneath it that looked as though it might be an issue. Hopefully Prince666 will post his findings here...

6. #6 Re: Cfmot 650TR/TK foot peg lowering 
    What about the ground clearance on lean over?
    Not too low?

7. #7 Re: Cfmot 650TR/TK foot peg lowering 
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    What about the ground clearance on lean over?
    Not too low?
    I was thinking the same,and this set up is 20mm out as well which don't help hope it is fine
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #8 Re: Cfmot 650TR/TK foot peg lowering 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have not had any problems with ground clearance but it would depend on your riding. The pegs still fold up if you did touch down. Probably no good for the track. There are plenty of reviews for the same thing on other bikes with only a few concerns. I have been looking a lot at the ST1300 pan European because the 650TK TR is a copy in style, looks and purpose. It is not a direct copy so we can not simply assume that parts are interchangeable. Also it is simple to swap between lower for touring and standard for track. I would not lower the NK as it is a different riding style but if you want long distance comfort I recommend lowering the pegs on the TK.

9. #9 Re: Cfmot 650TR/TK foot peg lowering 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    At a motorcycle club anniversary party several months back (Riders motorcycle club 11th anniversary party held in new clubrooms in Shaoxing, Hangzhou) I got to see and compare a 650TR/TK (not mine as I rode my Burgman 650 Exec) with several ST1300s. The desgin similarities are amazingly close, from the fairing styling, air vent, to the front cubbies/glove boxes. With the bikes side-by-side the 650TR/TK looked like the slightly smaller brother/sister of the ST1300.

For all rumours around that CFMoto copied or took inspiration the Kawasaki ER-6N, I'd say the styling inspiration for the TR/TK surely came from the Honda ST1300, though early on I saw all the designers pencil drawings/renderings for the TR/TK. Would have been an interesting client brief to have been involved in IMO.

10. #10 Re: Cfmot 650TR/TK foot peg lowering 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob SoCal Adv Tourer's Avatar
    Trebor,

Hello and thank you for your time and effort to share your experience with the Motorcycle Larry foot peg lowering kit for the ST1300's. I have installed the foot peg lowering kits on my ST1100As. It has been awhile since your original post. However, I am curious of length of your inseam and if you are predisposed to knee discomfort due to an injury or simply age. I do not have access to a 650TR/TK.

Also, I recently read about foot peg mount failures associated with the earlier generation 650TR/TK's at the following URL:
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ighlight=650tr
    Have you experienced any foot peg failures?

Finally, do you still own and ride your 650TR? What is the current mileage and what is your long-term assessment of the 650TR/TK?

Others, if you are taller than average (86-87cm/34" inseam), please reply with the length of your inseam and if you feel the ergonomics of the stock seat and foot pegs are acceptable.

Thanks in advance!

David