Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 E-bike driving license required in Shanghai from March 2014 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    According to the online edition of China Daily, Shanghai e-bike operators will be required to have an e-bike driving license from March 2014. Further, licensed operators must by at least 16 years old and not operate at speeds greater than 15 km/h. There are an estimated 14 million e-bikes in Shanghai.

Generously assuming 4 months (120 days) between now and then, approximately 117,000 "students" will have to be issued licenses each day (weekends & holidays included). Assuming a work day of 8 hours, that is 14,600 students/hour ... or 240 a minute ... or 4 every second.

Interesting new policy.

link
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 11-09-2013 at 03:06 AM. Reason: edited date

2. #2 Re: E-bike driving license required in Shanghai from March 2014 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Actually, am I reading this wrong?

Is it the rider or the e-bike that requires the license? I can't find any further information. The 16 years old "rule" led me to believe it might be a driving license.

If it is the bike ... well, that is somewhat more reasonable. But, as experienced in Beijing (where license plates for e-bikes are required), enforcement leaves much to be desired. An e-bike plate is only 10 rmb in Beijing, and takes 5 minutes at a local police station, but I'd guess less than 1 in 4 e-bikes have them.

3. #3 Re: E-bike driving license required in Shanghai from March 2014 
    Complete nonsense, nobody will get a license. It's just a clever way to make money. Weird how the 'clampdowns' have a greater frequency before Chinese New Year. (Pay your 50 yuan to the cop in the car around the corner). Also 15km/h is utterly unreasonable, transport policy made by unelected black Sanatana and Audi drivers.

A 'ebike' license for the rider then allow ebikes up to 1kw and 35km/h. That might make some sense, if set for January 1st 2015.

4. #4 Re: E-bike driving license required in Shanghai from March 2014 
    We can't blame the goverment for doing this. Most of the accidents on the road in shanghai specially during rush hours are ebike related. Its about time for the gov to take ebikes seriously and treat it with the same conviction as motorcycle. But i agree that 15 kmh is rediculous and negates the main purpose of having an ebike which is conviniency. If license will be required for ebike operators in future i think limiting its speed to 15kmh is unnecessary. In my opinion 30-35kmh will do just fine.

5. #5 Re: E-bike driving license required in Shanghai from March 2014 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Central government tried something similar to this before, but backed down due to public and vested interests (ebike/escooter/bicycle manufacturers). So long as the license is applied to the individual and encompasses knowledge of road 'rules' and testing thereof, the better off for all road users, cause on the totem pole cyclists/ebikes and escooter riders are above the law, flout it most of all, and reap the most rewards when shiet happens. If the Traffic PSB actually even enforced the use of headlights/lights at night this would go a long way...

6. #6 Re: E-bike driving license required in Shanghai from March 2014 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    [...] cyclists/ebikes and escooter riders are above the law, flout it most of all, and reap the most rewards when shiet happens. [...]
    Their main problem is that they don't value situational awareness and protective gear, they rack cash when sheet happens but they tend to die quite often too.

Now when one takes just too much risks in front of me I kick him wherever I can.

Already destroyed 2 front fairings and one basket...
    Last edited by braillce; 12-25-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens