Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Guangdong, the nooks and crannies 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post

Just another day at the office.

I'm thinking of heading that direction tomorrow or the next day. Is that guy on the wire at certain times? You need to pay a park entrance fee or something I'm assuming to get in and see that? Anyway I'll have a few days to look around so surely I can locate him. That is SO epic! Awesome...

2. #22 Re: Guangdong, the nooks and crannies 
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePope View Post
    I'm thinking of heading that direction tomorrow or the next day. Is that guy on the wire at certain times? You need to pay a park entrance fee or something I'm assuming to get in and see that? Anyway I'll have a few days to look around so surely I can locate him. That is SO epic! Awesome...
    There's a KMZ file you can open in google earth that will show you exactly where I took the pictures. Being China, everything costs money now. Back when I took these photos I think it was 10 quai to get in, but it was easy to go around one side of the park and just walk in. I doubt you can get in there today for under 40 quai. The show ran every hour or so all day long. Even if you don't see the high wire act, the canyon is pretty awesome to look at.

If you follow the route on my KMZ file to Ruyuan, it goes right to the hotel I always stayed at. Ruyuan is a tourist town, so accommodations aren't cheap. I think the Baiyun Hotel was 320 the last time I was there... expensive, but very safe parking for your motorcycle. There are other less expensive places to stay in Ruyuan. Don't go to Shaoguan, it's pretty far out of the way from where any of the good scenic stuff is.

Ride safe and have fun, it's a beautiful area!

3. #23 Re: Guangdong, the nooks and crannies 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    There's a KMZ file you can open in google earth that will show you exactly where I took the pictures. Being China, everything costs money now. Back when I took these photos I think it was 10 quai to get in, but it was easy to go around one side of the park and just walk in. I doubt you can get in there today for under 40 quai. The show ran every hour or so all day long. Even if you don't see the high wire act, the canyon is pretty awesome to look at.

If you follow the route on my KMZ file to Ruyuan, it goes right to the hotel I always stayed at. Ruyuan is a tourist town, so accommodations aren't cheap. I think the Baiyun Hotel was 320 the last time I was there... expensive, but very safe parking for your motorcycle. There are other less expensive places to stay in Ruyuan. Don't go to Shaoguan, it's pretty far out of the way from where any of the good scenic stuff is.

Ride safe and have fun, it's a beautiful area!
    Things have changed indeed. The Canyon area is now much more developed for tourism and the cost to get in - 65 RMB - is significantly more expensive. Immediately after leaving the canyon my whole wiring harness caught on fire and burnt up due to a very shoddy wiring job on the part of my mechanic in Zengcheng. Not an ideal place to have problems, but luckily I wasn't traveling alone. My buddy had to tow me about 40 km to Ruyuan where I found a mechanic who managed to get it going enough to get me back to Guangzhou, but not without gouging the absolute shite out of me. Found a great hotel in Ruyuan for 120RMB. Not bad at all.

Just finished uploading this to YouTube. The canyon act is at about 14 minutes.

4. #24 Re: Guangdong, the nooks and crannies 
    They're still playing the exact same audio track! :loll:

Nice vid Pope!

5. #25 Re: Guangdong, the nooks and crannies 
    C-Moto Noob
    great post and nice pictures! I'm from Dongguan as well. Would love to go on a long ride sometime, but I'm on a GSX-R750 and cannot handle dirt roads. Do you have any more recommendations for motorcycle friendly highways? Especially in 2015 because laws changed quite a bit from a few years ago.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123