Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 To Celebrate our renovations 
    CJ Sidecar Shanghai has just completed our renovations and enlargemement of our showroom and service center.

We are offering discounts on spares and bikes as much as 20% off for the rest of Feb.

We will have an opening party for everyone to attend soon.

Hey wow spiffy store front! You gonna have punch and pie?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Can I get on the VIP list?

Do the Chinese feel slighted that the name is in English? I remember being in L.A., and there were areas of the city where everything was in Spanish, and run down so much, it made Tijuana, Mexico look like Beverly Hills.

At least your store looks nice enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    We are offering discounts on spares and bikes
    What are you doing about new bikes registrations now that the National Govt has banned new registrations of CJ's ?

The timing of this new legislation is not very helpful for the enlarged store and new local bike sales.

Nick,

Thats always been a problem here in Shanghai, at least for the last few years. We can provide legal plates to use the CJ. But as you know NO motorcycles are allowed in Shanghai, not even the local two wheelers. I recently found out the there will be no more motorcycle plates issued in Shanghai from now on. A, B, or C.

Have no fear this is nothing new to us. But I think the day is approaching were Shanghai will enforce the motorcycle ban. Then I move to another city in China.

CJ's would not be as fun if they were'nt a little "outlaw"

Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Can I get on the VIP list?

Do the Chinese feel slighted that the name is in English? I remember being in L.A., and there were areas of the city where everything was in Spanish, and run down so much, it made Tijuana, Mexico look like Beverly Hills.

At least your store looks nice enough!!
    Here in Shanghai our client demographic is mainly 30-50 year old foreigners and of course we sell most of our bike overseas. We rarely sell to locals....

I don't think the Chinese really care, they don't want to buy what we are selling

They love to look though

Thats always been a problem here in Shanghai, at least for the last few years. We can provide legal plates to use the CJ. But as you know NO motorcycles are allowed in Shanghai, not even the local two wheelers.
    But the no new CJ plates/Registrations in Shanghai is now Nationwide......no province can provide new plates. The annual inspection will be a problem if all your previously plated bikes have registrations from Hebei or Xinjang or some other far flung province............ and the days of foreigners riding around Shanghai with impunity on bikes with dodgy plates or questionably inspected bikes are numbered.......friend of mine just had his supposedly legal Triumph with Xinjang plates confiscated and it was parked at the time !

They'll crack down on the bikes soon no doubt as they did with the licenses especially with the 2010 Expo coming. All it will take is one foreigner getting into a bad accident on his questionably registered Chang and the authorities will crack down hard they just look for the excuse.

As far as the bikes go I think the no new registrations for Changs is to help with the new Jialing bikes..........Jialing is State owned I guess and the State will benefit with an increase in sales and the State benefits less with all the cottage industry quazi 'new' Changs that are being flogged on Taobao.

Much like the architecture......old is out and demolished, shiny new is in and promoted favorably, happened in the motorcycle industry vs auto industry also. Favorable policies and attitudes for cars while the bikes are condemned to the countryside.

The Shanghai bike ban is not total, not yet anyway....... just banned from some of the roads........and on a plus note luckily the CJ isn't classed as a motorcycle. I've Shanghai A plates on my bike and can and do ride anywhere except for the toll roads.......I've never been stopped in 5 years.
    Last edited by Nick in PRC.; 02-12-2009 at 09:46 AM.

I have always thought my riding days in Shanghai are numbered....

Does the Ban also include DONG HAI's?

Winston

OH Nick do me a favor please send me the location or link of the new law(in other words were i can read it) I want to be able to properly inform my customers.

By the way we just recieved new plates for new bikes(restored) in our shop today

OH Nick do me a favor please send me the location or link of the new law(in other words were i can read it)
    I was told by people in Nanchang that this was now new policy. As far as Dong Hais I wouldn't have thought those were registrable in years........but TIC and a nod is as good as a wink to a blind man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast