Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Suzuki parts in China 
    Hey guys,

Thinking of buying a bike off of Taobao. It would actually be my first bike ever so I'm a little hesitant, having no experience and limited knowledge. Im hoping to use the bike for out of town riding (live in BJ) and potentially some bigger trips during 2014. Bikes Im likened to at the moment are dual-purpose Suzukis like the 200cc Djebel or the DRZ400. I've seen a few online here an there and if I have the money when time comes ofcouse Id go for the DRZ, BUT not sure I want to spend that much so the Djebel may be a better option.

My question is... if I were to purchase a Djebel for example, how hard is it to find parts in China? Any other riders own the bike? Reviews? For a bigger trip, would it be easier to buy a generic chinese bike as itd be easier to find parts along the way? Sort of wondering between better quality vs. parts availability since an older Djebel wouldn't exactly be a gem itself.

Appreciate any feedback, so thanks in advance.

Cheers

2. #2 Re: Suzuki parts in China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Suzuki has been building bikes within China for a long time Jinan Qinqi Motorcycle Company since 1996. Most likely the Suzuki you are looking to buy is from here. If you are familiar with Taobao then you can get parts on there easy enough.

I do recommend that you buy a bike in person from a reputable shop and/or have a mechanic come with you for the purchase. If you are trying to do everything legally with the bike, then you must pay attention to the transfer and all the necessary paperwork.

If you are talking about planning a trip and worried about part availability along the way, then make sure you have a good toolkit. Bring it with you and pay attention to parts that may wear out during the journey. Proper preparation and maintainance; keep small parts like spark plugs, fuses, light bulbs. Remember you are never too far from Taobao and parts when you have a smartphone and a bit of Chinese!

3. #3 Re: Suzuki parts in China 
    MC Pono, thanks for the advice!

I'll definitely bring a friend along and get some assistance with the purchase whether its taobao or not.

As for the chinese - suzuki motorbike manufacturer you mentioned, i've heard a couple people who've managed fairly sizeable trips through china, and i see them everywhere so I assume parts would be easy to find along the way if i were to do a bigger trip.

Despite this I still have tendency to lean toward the more reputable and bigger drz or even djebel (250cc).

However with my ultimate goal being doing a sizeable trip (legally) and simply seeing the country rather than feeling the speed, is it better to spend MUCH less money on the qingqi as parts are so readily available, or is it still worth it to spend the extra cash and go for something more reliable despite potentially less parts?

Being a noob I know little about the actual bikes or parts availability through china despite my research so any help is appreciated.

Cheers :)

4. #4 Re: Suzuki parts in China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I've been inspecting and riding a few of the Chinese bikes. They look like fun, but endurance, reliability is questionable, as are their engineering team, quality control (QC) and distribution channels. But that's a very large generalizaiton. Here is a good link to look at with the Top 10 Chinese motorcycle companies.

Generally speaking you won't go wrong with getting a Yamaha or Suzuki as the parts are going to be readily available and you are getting a brand name that is constructed quite well here. Whatever you do, make sure you have an english/chinese manual on you!

5. #5 Re: Suzuki parts in China 
    tricycle,motorcycle parts xjyanjun's Avatar
    hi what kind of parts you need?perhaps we can help you,we offer after market motorcycle parts and accessories we involved in motorcycle industry many years,ceratainly we don't like deeply in Chinese street bike.you can get them in local repair shop if just need it
    tricycle,motorbike,motorcycle parts and accessories-motorbiketricycle.com