Hello,

I read through two other threads about licenses in China, but I still have a few questions. If I posted this in the wrong section, my apologies.

Here is some background. I live in Luogang District (罗岗区) which is a part of Guangzhou Proper, and bikes are banned in GZ. However, where I live is still underdeveloped and bikes are commonplace. Some people have plates, others do not -- probably a 40/60 split. I have asked the local police, a traffic school, and a traffic office about how to obtain a license, and all told me that motorcycle licenses are no longer issued in Guangzhou. Tomorrow, I plan to go to Guangzhou's largest traffic office -- 车辆管理所 -- and ask questions.

As some have suggested, I will be forceful that I want a license, that it can be done, and I want to know how it can be done. I have a temporary residence stamp in my passport, I have an address, I have an employer that can vouch for me, I am 100% legal to live and work in China, and my next Chinese Residence renewal is not due until June 2014. Still, I am fearful that GZ truly does not issue motorcycle licenses any longer.

In another thread, a few people suggested that it is possible to get temporary paperwork in an area that issues motorcycle licenses, file for the license, go through the procedures, and get a legitimate license. How would that work?

To have a license and a fully registered bike is super important to me. What are some suggestions? Has anyone else been in a city that does not allow bikes but still been able to obtain a license? Any other Chinese license advice would be appreciated

Unfortunately, I don't have a motorcycle license in my home country, only a regular car license.