Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi just an introduction here,
    Long time rider new to Shanghai.

Spent a few years in Korea, now over here for work. In product and transportation design specializing mainly in motorcycle design. Can't wait to ride over here and meet people who also love bikes. Also, would like to get some project bikes started at some stage so will be looking for advice from time to time etc. For now will probably look at getting a scooter to get around on, thinking about one of those Yammy BWS copies with the 150 gy6.

Cheers and looking forward to getting involved in the moto community here.

2. #2 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob ahernandez74's Avatar
    Very cool. May I ask what company you work with in Shanghai? You'll love the hai, it's pretty much IMO the gem of China...

3. #3 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by manji01 View Post

Spent a few years in Korea, now over here for work. In product and transportation design specializing mainly in motorcycle design. Can't wait to ride over here and meet people who also love bikes. Also, would like to get some project bikes started at some stage so will be looking for advice from time to time etc. For now will probably look at getting a scooter to get around on, thinking about one of those Yammy BWS copies with the 150 gy6.

Dear Manji01,

Welcome to Shanghai. MCM is filled with people who love bikes, and there are plenty of us in Shanghai. But a word of caution: There will be extremely little overlap between your field, people "specializing mainly in motorcycle design," and "people who love bikes." This is one of the fundamental problems of our sport in China. Motorcycle companies are not run by motorcyclists. It's just a job, and I'd lay strong odds that the dream vehicle of damn near everyone working in the motorcycle industry, from shop floor to executive suite, is a car, not a bike. In their minds, motorcycles are for farmers and foreigners.

Nor is Shanghai a paradise for motorcycling. There is excellent riding in nearby Zhejiang, Anhui, Fujian and further afield, but you'll be slabbing for at least 4-5 hours on blindingly chaotic urban highways to reach the closest bits of rural joy, which really cuts down the enjoyment of a weekend outing. Best bet for extended adventure: Ship your bike by train to Kunming, Chengdu, Guiyang or other jumping-off point, and ride for a week or so, then ship it back. How about a three-day weekend? A couple of us are thinking of shipping to a relatively nearby location -- Lishui in southern Zhejiang -- to minimize the awful urban schlepping to get to the good stuff. Join us!

Then again, you may be one who enjoys the special thrills of urban riding, in which case, ignore the last paragraph!

Welcome and looking forward to meeting!
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

Welcome to Shanghai !
    It is a challenging place to motor bike . Many of us do some bicycling - it will help you get the feel of Chinese roads & drivers . Just be sure you know where you are biking to and back . As being lost or looking for roads can be a distraction and increase your chances for danger .
    Where you living ?...Puxi or Pudong area - Cheers

5. #5 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    There are a couple of kiwis down in Ningbo.. No doubt the Doctor will get in touch with you...
    my blog is www.simplesite.com/jonsims

6. #6 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi guys, got some spare time so decided I can update you all. I've purchased a cg150 chinese copy second hand as an around town bike to give me my much needed two wheel fix. Registered out of town which isn't a problem for me. Will update with some pix later on. Already gathering ideas and checking Taobao for the custom work to come.

7. #7 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Congratulations! Great riding weather these couple of days. Hard to believe it's 18C in Shanghai today. (But there's no global warming.)

If/when it gets cold again, let's meet for a beer. I'd like to hear what you are doing in the industry...

cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Happy New Year 'K ..

In just finished 10 yrs in SH . Have had bikes and motor bikes for the whole time . Sunday & week ends rides mid spring thru autumn are nice .

I and a few others are doing winter motor biking on Hainan Island , as we have some vacation time + some long weekends .

You are welcome to join and we look forward to seeing your bike this spring ...Cheers

Banned
    Kiora mate! How's China treating ya?!

10. #10 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Its Monday and the first work day for 2014 ..

I am lucky , as I am out of Shanghai til April 1st . I and a few others got winter homes on Hainan Island...it's China's Hawaii ..

Very nice , tropical and quiet. We got 125 CC Honda bikes that run very well .

U R invited for the winter ....Cheers Mega ...on Hainan Island , China

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast