Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Regular
    Welcome to the forum.

2. #12 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    Nice to see everyone on MCM extend their hospitality. I'm impressed. You've been here 2 months and already got invited to peoples winter homes~

3. #13 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    A few of us have over a decade in China and have seen many people come and go . Many of those people never see or understand the 'real China . Bikers and motor bikers have an immense advantage .
    We will be back from Hainan Island in early April , as there's many roads to ride in the sunny south .
    Stay warm and be careful with the Shanghai air . See you

Banned
    I'm one of those that don't get China - I believe I'm trying but I know I'm failing

5. #15 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Manji01,

Welcome to Shanghai. MCM is filled with people who love bikes, and there are plenty of us in Shanghai. But a word of caution: There will be extremely little overlap between your field, people "specializing mainly in motorcycle design," and "people who love bikes." This is one of the fundamental problems of our sport in China. Motorcycle companies are not run by motorcyclists. It's just a job, and I'd lay strong odds that the dream vehicle of damn near everyone working in the motorcycle industry, from shop floor to executive suite, is a car, not a bike. In their minds, motorcycles are for farmers and foreigners.

Nor is Shanghai a paradise for motorcycling. There is excellent riding in nearby Zhejiang, Anhui, Fujian and further afield, but you'll be slabbing for at least 4-5 hours on blindingly chaotic urban highways to reach the closest bits of rural joy, which really cuts down the enjoyment of a weekend outing. Best bet for extended adventure: Ship your bike by train to Kunming, Chengdu, Guiyang or other jumping-off point, and ride for a week or so, then ship it back. How about a three-day weekend? A couple of us are thinking of shipping to a relatively nearby location -- Lishui in southern Zhejiang -- to minimize the awful urban schlepping to get to the good stuff. Join us!

Then again, you may be one who enjoys the special thrills of urban riding, in which case, ignore the last paragraph!

Welcome and looking forward to meeting!
    euphonius
    Cheers mate.I'd be keen on meeting anybody who is passionate about bikes and in the industry here to have a chat with.

Any riding is good riding for me, though i do miss the lack of mountains and dirt to ride in here.

6. #16 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega In Shanghai View Post
    Welcome to Shanghai !
    It is a challenging place to motor bike . Many of us do some bicycling - it will help you get the feel of Chinese roads & drivers . Just be sure you know where you are biking to and back . As being lost or looking for roads can be a distraction and increase your chances for danger .
    Where you living ?...Puxi or Pudong area - Cheers
    For sure, had some close calls with light runners already. I like to think this is all practice for making me indestructible on the roads back home. I'm in Puxi, close to Jingan.

7. #17 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Happy New Year 'K ..

In just finished 10 yrs in SH . Have had bikes and motor bikes for the whole time . Sunday & week ends rides mid spring thru autumn are nice .

I and a few others are doing winter motor biking on Hainan Island , as we have some vacation time + some long weekends .

You are welcome to join and we look forward to seeing your bike this spring ...Cheers
    Sounds Amazing! thanks for the offer. Pretty busy up here atm and then I'm back in NZ for a few weeks Feb and March. Let's keep in touch about riding in Spring though.

8. #18 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by NZBrakelathes View Post
    Kiora mate! How's China treating ya?!
    Kiora! China's great fun. So where are you?

9. #19 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by hellboy7 View Post
    Nice to see everyone on MCM extend their hospitality. I'm impressed. You've been here 2 months and already got invited to peoples winter homes~
    China's been good to me so far. Met a lot of good people here, so I'm not surprised. Cheers!

10. #20 Re: Kiwi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    A few of us have over a decade in China and have seen many people come and go . Many of those people never see or understand the 'real China . Bikers and motor bikers have an immense advantage .
    We will be back from Hainan Island in early April , as there's many roads to ride in the sunny south .
    Stay warm and be careful with the Shanghai air . See you
    Got one of those goofy Totobobo things to hopefully keep my lungs all pink and pretty. Still riding, not too cold for me yet! Cheers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast