Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Benelli BJ600GS

1. #1 Benelli BJ600GS 
    Did some riding and maintenance on my friend's Benelli the last week, and topped it off with a fast, one day trip to Moganshan and back yesterday. Was in the company of some liter+ bikes (Suzuki SV1000, Ducati 1100 Monster, Ducati MultiStrada), so it was hard working for the little Chinese Italian.

DSC00637 (Small).JPG

As I never really read a review on the Benelli, here my thought on the bike with a year of experience:

Overall:
    I like the workmanship.
    As mentioned plenty of times, this bike is built according western standards. Material such as plastics, hardware, paint and powdercoat are very acceptable, and should not be a give-away this is a 'Chinese' bike.
    Start tearing her apart, and you will find everything is nicely located, all fitted with plastic washers underneath, really nothing to complain about.

The bike had a small electric issue (tail light electrical circuit was missing power - traced back to a sticky contact from being parked in a very wet garage for most of time) so I went through the electric.
    Also there all nicely protected, logically arranged. The way the relays are fitted can be an example for many other bikes.

Riding:
    Was in the saddle for 2x 3 hours, and not a problem.
    Although considered small by some, I feel perfect on it. Might be as I am not the tallest myself (1.78m).
    The little fairing splits some of the wind, and up to ~130km/hr it is very doable in an upright position.

Geometry is set to stable, but not slow, never noticed nervousness.
    Together with the upright riding position and the wide bar, corners are heaven.
    Pretty fast from left to right lean.
    For speeds >160km/hr, you need to be relaxed on the handlebar to prevent waving (but that is not the bike, but the rider).

Spirited riding is a dream, and it should do very well on a track like Tianma.
    Keep it above 6.500 rpm, and it goes like stink. Driving up to Moganshan was heaven.

Engine:
    Not comparable to a Japanese 600cc screamer, but powerful enough.
    Reminded me a lot to my 1980's Kawasaki Z500, it needs some revs, but then it goes.
    Surprisingly, even in 6th gear, there is enough punch for Chinese acceleration in normal traffic, I could actually ride it pretty lazy.
    Temperature control seems ok, never had an issue so far. Fan kicks in ~92 degree, never saw it higher then 99 degree.

Gearbox:
    Short geared, fitting the engine characteristics.
    For someone like me, coming from large capacities V-2's, it needs a bit of getting accustom to, but once you set yourself in the habit of poking around in the gearbox, all goes well.
    Shifts were a bit sticky in the beginning, but the spirited riding of yesterday obviously did the bike good, shifted super smooth during the day.

Sound:
    Standard exhaust system sucks.
    It sound ok in the garage, but not while riding the bike, or being behind one.
    It deserves better.
    Luckily, there are some nice after market systems available.

Good:
    - Riding characteristics
    - Workmanship
    - Powdercoating
    - Electrics (and that for an Italian bike made in China...)
    - Hardware (bolts etc)
    - Riding position
    - Bike is fairing much better then some other bikes parked in the same humid, almost aggressive environment of the parking garage. Slight corrosion on some bolts, nothing much else.

Medium:
    - Suspension
    - Paint

- Power and torque (for a L-4)
    - Sound
    - Fuel consumption (all in the right hand)

Bad:
    - Don't really trust the OEM tires
    - Weight (far too heavy for a 600)

Last edited by 998S; 11-24-2013 at 01:46 PM.

2. #2 Re: Benelli BJ600GS 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Great review - thanks!

3. #3 Re: Benelli BJ600GS 
    Woo hoo, finally a Benelli review!

4. #4 Re: Benelli BJ600GS 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to put this review together... takes a bit of work.

5. #5 Re: Benelli BJ600GS 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Don't really trust the OEM tires
    Never tried them myself, but I've been told the Metzeler M5 are extremely reliable and performing. They will be replaced as "top-of the-line" from 2014 by the newly launched Metzeler M7 RR. However they will continue to be available as a "second line" product.
    http://www.metzeler.com/site/com/pro...Sportecm5.html

6. #6 Re: Benelli BJ600GS 
    They look hard, they feel hard, they ride hard.
    They don't really heat up.
    They don't give any feedback.
    And in the wet, they are slippery.

Perhaps, if you can drop the pressure to ~30 psi, and you can get some heat in them, they might do better.
    But besides of the track, I do not dare to drop tire pressures below 35 psi in China, and even then you got to be careful not to ding the rims.

Not my tires, should be first on the list to change.

7. #7 Re: Benelli BJ600GS 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    They look hard, they feel hard, they ride hard.
    They don't really heat up.
    They don't give any feedback.
    And in the wet, they are slippery.

Perhaps, if you can drop the pressure to ~30 psi, and you can get some heat in them, they might do better.
    But besides of the track, I do not dare to drop tire pressures below 35 psi in China, and even then you got to be careful not to ding the rims.

Not my tires, should be first on the list to change.
    I am honestly surprised by this feedback. It's not common to be so disappointed by a set of tires. Could it be that they are extremely old or ill-preserved? Especially since they are specifically designed to give good feedback, require virtually no warm up time and be safe in the wet! Or maybe you are just not meant for them :)

8. #8 Re: Benelli BJ600GS 
    Quote Originally Posted by vale46 View Post
    I am honestly surprised by this feedback. It's not common to be so disappointed by a set of tires. Could it be that they are extremely old or ill-preserved? Especially since they are specifically designed to give good feedback, require virtually no warm up time and be safe in the wet! Or maybe you are just not meant for them :)
    Rode this bike when new for the first 150km, and got exact same impression that time already.
    I heard, but never really checked, that on the Chinese Benelli forum they have same impression.
    Perhaps they are not bad, but they do not give much confidence, and that is where it should start with a tire.

Anyway, no big deal.
    Tires need to be changed anyway, sooner or later, and one can always choose a personal preference.
    For me this bike is a perfect candidate for a set of Michelin Pilot Power's or Pilot Road's.

9. #9 Re: Benelli BJ600GS 
    I agree, the tyres slip a little in any fast corner, and it takes away the confidence to drop it down further. Compared to what you get fitted as standard on any sporty bike in Europe, the surface of the tire feels way too smooth, and never really gets sticky...

I'm not sure where you set off from on your trip to Moganshan, but I hope you weren't suggesting that you rode there and back from Shanghai in about 3 hours?? Unless you take the expressway (and even then), that would take some "spirited" driving :)

Does anyone know of a route out of Shanghai that isn't as soul destroying as just following the 50 through endless traffic lights?