Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Renting a vehicle to haul your own motorcycle? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Any rental services such as a cargo van, car with trailer, or flatbed truck to transport your own motorcycle exist in Beijing?Van.JPG

2. #2 Re: Renting a vehicle to haul your own motorcycle? 
    Probably not, but you can ask someone to do it for you for a fee. I mean theres no real service that really exists like that...

3. #3 Re: Renting a vehicle to haul your own motorcycle? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi - just noticed your posted question.

There are several options, but a bit more info about your requirements would be helpful.

For example, if you just want transportation inside the city (i.e., from Point A -> Point B, both within 5th ring road), the major dealers usually have flat rates. Also, there are several people who advertise on Weifengtang.com and 58.com, offering their private services. I think you can also find vans-for-rent through The Beijinger.

If you want to head further afield (e.g., other cities), that gets a bit more complicated. Several shipping companies are happy to take your money, but many appear to be less-than-reliable.

4. #4 Re: Renting a vehicle to haul your own motorcycle? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Deppon is one logistics company I've had experience with shipping a motorcycle a fair distance in PRC. Expensive but 100% reliable in my case. Deppon often quote pricing based on just the transport and exclude quoting additional charges etc. e.g. charged for building a wooden crate around the motorcycle (approx CNY800), insurance, delivery to door (CNY100).

Deppon offer two tier rates, based on a cubic metre. The higher rate provides expedited freighting, usually an ETA of between 24-48hr from/to most localities. The lesser of the two options provides an ETA of double to three times that of the faster option.

In practice though I think (my opinion) that unless freight demand outstrips available space or one is freighting from or to an obscure location, the chances are the motorcycle will arrive as quickly as the expedited option. For example I chose the cheaper of the two delivery time frame options (told ETA of 6-7 days), however my motorcycle arrived within 24-36hrs (Guilin -> Beilun, Ningbo), it arrived so quickly I was still driving back. The motorcycle shipped via Deppon, arrived into Ningbo before me!

Deppon also offer additional options e.g. door to door service, varying levels of insurance etc. One can also supply their own box, however should the box be made of wood it must meet Deppon's specifications etc.

Harley-Davidson shops also sell motorcycle specific trailers, although they are co$tly.

5. #5 Re: Renting a vehicle to haul your own motorcycle? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks. There are numerous cargo van options on 58.com.

But I was told cargo vans (even small ones) are considered class B trucks and that foreigners cannot obtain the class B driver's license. Instead, the nearest hauling type vehicle under class C1 would be a
    低速载货汽车 under class C3 ("low speed truck"?). I can call the traffic bureau to verify this but does anyone happen to know the various permutations of the 低速载货汽车? Is it technically just those little flat bed jobs? Does a modern pick-up truck fit into the 低速载货汽车 class?

classes.jpg

little flat bed.jpg

6. #6 Re: Renting a vehicle to haul your own motorcycle? 
    I have a full European C1E license or what's called A2 in China. I'm coming up for 6 years in China so I'm eligible for a Chinese A2 next year. I might try to get one to see if it's possible to have one. Or whether it's impossible to transfer a foreign truck license or actually possible to do the test as a foreigner just for a laugh. The thing is I can run circles around Chinese truck drivers because I've been properly trained and I know to not reverse into a major highway, not to put the smallest engine in the universe in my truck then wonder why it explodes in an oily mess when you go up a hill with a massively overloaded vehicle spilling rock and other debris into the road, not to drive until I fall asleep at the wheel and kill myself and a bunch of other people and not to overtake with oncoming traffic.

I drove for several supermarkets and was sent to central and outer London regularly.

7. #7 Re: Renting a vehicle to haul your own motorcycle? 
    I attempted to have my HT (in NZ this means Heavy Traffic), applied here in PRC back in the day. Even I had the officially sanctioned translation office place as many relevant endorsement codes onto the translation, especially given that the said office staff had simply put "car" C1. In my case I felt I had quite a valid argument, given that;

a). I've had my HT & heavy trailer (also known as 'truck & trailer in NZ) since the age of 16yo (special dispensation as I had assistance from the owner of a country 'milk round' to become a relief driver) as opposed to the usual allowable age of 18yo;

b). Had completed a NZFS advanced transport/appliance priority drivers course as part of being of being recruited/employed as a professional fire-fighter & EMT;

c). Had completed a St. John Ambulance (NZ) certified priority drivers training course as part of being employed as a front line paramedic;

d). Had completed an advanced skid car drivers and London Police drivers course as part of both careers at the time with certificates etc.;

e). Driven all manner of vehicles over the years including truck & trailers, as I had my own trucking and transport business back in NZ couple of decades ago;

f). Was and am working in a Chinese hospital, and have access to and driven an ambulance here on occasion (another discussion)...

After my protests at the time, the translation office person then completed a new translation with all the classes and the endorsements as I have noted on the rear side of my NZ D/L.

However when I dealt with the Traffic PSB they said no. No HT endorsement nor Ambulance endorsement is allowed for a foreigner. All this despite my relevant experience and certifications and my wife's and hospitals admin assistant, assistance at the time.

Others might be lucky, but I doubt much has changed.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 12-03-2013 at 02:38 AM.

8. #8 Re: Renting a vehicle to haul your own motorcycle? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I attempted to have my HT (in NZ this means Heavy Traffic), applied here in PRC back in the day. Even I had the officially sanctioned translation office place as many relevant endorsement codes onto the translation, especially given that the said office staff had simply put "car" C1. In my case I felt I had quite a valid argument, given that;

a). I've had my HT & heavy trailer (also known as 'truck & trailer in NZ) since the age of 16yo (special dispensation as I had assistance from the owner of a country 'milk round' to become a relief driver) as opposed to the usual allowable age of 18yo;

b). Had completed a NZFS advanced transport/appliance priority drivers course as part of being of being recruited/employed as a professional fire-fighter & EMT;

c). Had completed a St. John Ambulance (NZ) certified priority drivers training course as part of being employed as a front line paramedic;

d). Had completed an advanced skid car drivers and London Police drivers course as part of both careers at the time with certificates etc.;

e). Driven all manner of vehicles over the years including truck & trailers, as I had my own trucking and transport business back in NZ couple of decades ago;

f). Was and am working in a Chinese hospital, and have access to and driven an ambulance here on occasion (another discussion)...

After my protests at the time, the translation office person then completed a new translation with all the classes and the endorsements as I have noted on the rear side of my NZ D/L.

However when I dealt with the Traffic PSB they said no. No HT endorsement nor Ambulance endorsement is allowed for a foreigner. All this despite my relevant experience and certifications and my wife's and hospitals admin assistant, assistance at the time.

Others might be lucky, but I doubt much has changed.
    Well that's asking in Zhejiang. You rarely meet anyone as clueless as a Gong An desk Clerk, could easily be fine elsewhere, just comes down to bs opinion. When the big cheese says no I'll believe it's true, not ever take the word of a minion as fact. Not that I give a shit about being able to drive a truck on Chinese roads, because it would be painful.

Don't forget that F1 drivers can't drive Chinese because they won't have time to transfer their licenses. Or Motogp riders couldn't ride in China when it came here. The most useless drivers in the world ban the much more competent foreigners from the roads every day.

Not that I blame the Chinese, the sociopaths trying to have their cake and eat it at every turn. Western governments let mainland Chinese in and allow the to drive instead of using their common sense and reciprocating their ridiculousness.

9. #9 Re: Renting a vehicle to haul your own motorcycle? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Well that's asking in Zhejiang. You rarely meet anyone as clueless as a Gong An desk Clerk, could easily be fine elsewhere, just comes down to bs opinion. When the big cheese says no I'll believe it's true, not ever take the word of a minion as fact. Not that I give a shit about being able to drive a truck on Chinese roads, because it would be painful.
    We didn't accept what this person told us... we certainly did protest and went as high up the ladder as could be tasked at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Don't forget that F1 drivers can't drive Chinese because they won't have time to transfer their licenses. Or Motogp riders couldn't ride in China when it came here. The most useless drivers in the world ban the much more competent foreigners from the roads every day.

Not that I blame the Chinese, the sociopaths trying to have their cake and eat it at every turn. Western governments let mainland Chinese in and allow the to drive instead of using their common sense and reciprocating their ridiculousness.
    +1...
    And what's more moronic, is that when I had my PRC D/L renewed earlier this year, the officials would not issue the new one in my English name, despite my previous versions and the one expiring displaying my English name. The rationale is that the db system had been upgraded. OK whatever... but here's the rub, if the holder of a PRC D/L drives abroad on that license and given that there's no official way of obtaining an official International Driving Permit (yes one can buy one over the internet, but that is not a valid legal way to do so), then how would a local police/enforcement handle a PRC D/L when it has only Chinese characters etc.

Again, the logic free kingdoOm...

10. #10 Re: Renting a vehicle to haul your own motorcycle? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Here is one solution. This is a rented Jinbei van found on 58.com. The rule seems to be that if there are no passengers in the back (proven with no seats in the first place) then a C1 license is sufficient. With passengers, then they will not rent it to a C1 or a foreigner in general (can't tell the exact reason though - just the C1 limitation or the foreigner issue). I suppose you could utilize one row of seats for just two extra passengers but not a full on set of seats.

The ratchet straps and the ramp were all sourced on Taobao at reasonable prices and worked fine.

One issue for question to the forum is the weight of the bike in cases where you may be alone. This GW250 is only about 420 lbs fully fueled so not that bad for one guy to muscle it up and down the ramp while female companion simply supports the upright balance a little and keeps an eye on the back wheel alignment on the narrow ramp on the way down (which could be fatal if off alignment since you cannot see anything being in the front while muscling it). With a heavier bike, one could not do this if other people are not around to help. You would need two guys muscling from front and back.

What would be interesting is a lowered floor van, like one converted for rear wheelchair access. This would decrease the angle of the ramp greatly. This Jinbei is about 24 inches from the ground. I have seen some of those lowered floors go to about half of that which would make it a cinch for even one person to muscle the bike in and out. Plus a wider ramp would be nice.

van solution.jpg