Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whitworthsocket View Post
    Thanks for the great response.
    Can I ask if the YBR250 is a current model. I looked on the Jialing website with no success.
    The YBR250 is made by Yamaha. Yes, it is a current model, although I have heard a rumor that it is being updated for 2014. Apparently, the body work is being changed to make it look sportier, in competition with the Suzuki GW250 that was released last year. Here is the Chinese website:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.cn/mc/pr.../detail_9.html

The MSRP of the YBR250 is around 26,000 rmb in China (versus the GW250's MSRP of about 24,000 rmb). However, since the introduction of the GW250 hurt YBR250 sales, it seems that dealers are willing to negotiate the YBR250's MSRP down.

Over on the GW250 thread, I did a little comparison between the two bikes. The GW250 is a great bike, but I'd probably still prefer the YBR250 for extended trips.

2. #22 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob whitworthsocket's Avatar
    Western Australia, often Udon Thani Thailand
    Thanks Lao Jia Hou for the prompt response.
    It helps if I was looking at the right companies website!
    I cant believe how much heavier the GW 250 is 44kg is a huge amount.
    I found an EFI 250 single Motard http://www.qingqi.com.cn/en/product_show.aspx?id=90
    That is what I am leaning toward but I have no idea about reliability or quality.
    I think I will have to wait till I get there and see the bikes in the flesh so to speak.
    The YBR also looks very good.

I have another question. To get a drivers license and getting a bike registered I have to have a residency permit. Is this going to be hard to get?
    Regards Whitworth
    Previous. Honda CB400-4, Ducati 860 GTS, Ducati 900SS, Yamaha TT500, Motoguzzi V50, BMW 80/7,Kawasaki KLR250, BMW 100/7.My all time favourite-BMW R80G/S.
    Current BMW K75c Vespa 150, Zundapp-Bella 200, Jawacezeta 175.

3. #23 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I have another question. To get a drivers license and getting a bike registered I have to have a residency permit. Is this going to be hard to get?
    Regards Whitworth
    Make sure your Australian driving license has a motorcycle endorsement on it. If it does, the process is easy (although you need to take a written exam). If you need to get the motorcycle endorsement inside China, it is much more complicated.

You have to have a residency permit to stay in China. Although it is a very simple thing to acquire, your employer will take care of it for you. The only driving license restriction is that your visa must be valid for at least 3 months continuous stay inside China. To register a bike in your name, the visa has to be >6 months continuous stay.

4. #24 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob whitworthsocket's Avatar
    Western Australia, often Udon Thani Thailand
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Make sure your Australian driving license has a motorcycle endorsement on it. If it does, the process is easy (although you need to take a written exam). If you need to get the motorcycle endorsement inside China, it is much more complicated.

You have to have a residency permit to stay in China. Although it is a very simple thing to acquire, your employer will take care of it for you. The only driving license restriction is that your visa must be valid for at least 3 months continuous stay inside China. To register a bike in your name, the visa has to be >6 months continuous stay.
    Hello Lao Jia Hou,
    Thanks for the information. Australian License has the motorcycle endorsement on it. So one hurdle out of the way. I have downloaded Chinese Driving test flash cards to my mobile phone so that I can memorize the test.
    I dont have an employer. I expect I would be getting a multiple entry business class visa for a year. I think that will make things hard for me.
    Regards Whitworth
    Previous. Honda CB400-4, Ducati 860 GTS, Ducati 900SS, Yamaha TT500, Motoguzzi V50, BMW 80/7,Kawasaki KLR250, BMW 100/7.My all time favourite-BMW R80G/S.
    Current BMW K75c Vespa 150, Zundapp-Bella 200, Jawacezeta 175.

5. #25 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hello Lao Jia Hou,
    ...Australian License has the motorcycle endorsement on it. So one hurdle out of the way. I have downloaded Chinese Driving test flash cards to my mobile phone so that I can memorize the test.
    I dont have an employer. I expect I would be getting a multiple entry business class visa for a year. I think that will make things hard for me.
    Regards Whitworth
    Most likely it will, especially if the business visa requires exit out of the country <90 days... e.g. 30 days.

6. #26 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    The Qingqi is a good bike it is exported to many countries under many different names and the bike is mostly based on Suzuki technology. However the reviews are somewhat mixed, the Jianshe Yamaha YBR250 reviews are better, although they are built for different purposes, in my view the Yamaha is the better bike.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123