Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Newbie from Western Australia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob whitworthsocket's Avatar
    Western Australia, often Udon Thani Thailand
    Hello MCMers,
    I have joined this group to ask about what is the best bike brand to travel around china next year.
    I would like to buy a bike direct from the factory. Fabricate up some touring luggage racks and go.
    My preference is for a tall, Light trailbike I am 1.88- 6'2" Tall.

I have looked at a Zongshen CQR250 water-cooled on Tao bao this looks like good value.
    I would love to have an Asia wing 450 120kg dry but I might get carried away with the power.
    Maybe settle for their 250?
    A Shineray X5? they seem quite heavy 160kg dry !
    All suggestions welcome.
    I need advice on getting it licensed. I want to ride it to Thailand.

I rode BMWs across the states and Europe quite a few years ago as well as traversing Australia.
    I rode a Vespa for a dare from Kalgoolie to Alice springs across the desert som 1900km a long time ago.

Look forward to tour suggestions.
    Regards Colin

2. #2 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    First of all hi and welcome!
    Secondly, I hope you are aware of the legal and safety situation about riding China? Please check the sticky threads on 'ride prep and making tracks'. Everything you need to know is posted there.
    I'd suggest not going near Asiawing, try a brand that has a direct relationship with an overseas company, as those bikes are usually more reliable and easier to sell.

3. #3 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    Hello ZMC888,
    Thanks for the prompt response.
    I appreciate the advice. I have been wading through Ride Prep and Making Tracks Forum.
    I have driven quite a lot in Thailand. Even through Bangkok so that should give me a little insight to what china is like. Riding in Laos on a rented chinese honda was quite scary as the bike brakes (discs) where useless. And it took time to adjust to riding on the right hand side.

It looks like the the first hurdle to cross is getting a residence permit.
    I am hoping to get a business class visa. I want to inspect some engineering and building supply businesses in my travels.
    The Asiawing bikes looked great on paper and they sell them with different Brand names all over the western world. Here in Australia they are badged as ODES. I have not seen one as the only two supply places are in eastern states 3-5000 km away.
    One of the importers has got them through the Australian Design Regulation testing so they are legal to be licensed in Australia. If that says anything.
    However if they where still as rough as NZOOM reported back in 2009 at http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...NG-LX450/page3
    I am quite sure that they would not have passed the ADRs.

I am keeping an open mind as the what brand of motorcycle. I read Pat Gormans http://www.chinamotorrider.com/author/pat/page/7/ ride aroung china on a Qingqi 200GY dual sport. As well as Jeremy and Lulu's http://www.chinamotorrider.com/tag/1...-around-china/.
    Which I found very inspiring.
    I found a Shineray X5 on Taobao http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...07.10039.168.0
    by pure chance and at ¥27800.00 which is about AUD $5100 that is quite a bit of money to invest with the potential of having the back spokes break etc.
    So initially I am looking at a Shineray X2 http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=15816070566
    Or Qingi LIGER(QM250GY-B)

Or maybe just be a cheap ass and carry a good set of tools.
    I would welcome further feed back from all
    Redards Whitworth

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...p260904107ca9d
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    First of all hi and welcome!
    Secondly, I hope you are aware of the legal and safety situation about riding China? Please check the sticky threads on 'ride prep and making tracks'. Everything you need to know is posted there.
    I'd suggest not going near Asiawing, try a brand that has a direct relationship with an overseas company, as those bikes are usually more reliable and easier to sell.

4. #4 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Gidday and welcome onboard the MCM cRaZy bus...

I appreciate you're looking for a lightweight bike... but you might like to consider a few other mid displacement bikes albeit big by the local standards. How about JH600?

By the time you land in PRC you might find there are a few more options... including some models being built in ASEAN countries (namely Thailand) making the journey and being legally landed in PRC for much less than other imports from other locations (including Japan, EU etc).

Also Benelli will likely have their 600cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke being straddled by a ADV style frame and suspenders, while CFMoto will have their 650MT 2 cylinder 4 stroke ADV bike out by end of 2014 although dates are unconfirmed. Redbook OZ has the 650MT slated for release November 2014, but as usual it'll be watch this space.

20131128_120405.jpg

Have just spent two days at CFMoto factory Hangzhou, with my mate Jon, in support of Buck and Amy of the Great Ride of China who have broken the world record with more than 25000km surpassed (and counting) being longest distance ridden by motorcycle in one country. Congratulations Buck and Amy...

20131128_120539.jpg

20131128_105503.jpg

Got to view all the CFMoto products currently available, and had a chance to see a couple a brand new KTMs including the 1190adv, though these weren't on display in the showroom ;) nice..!

20131128_110114.jpg

BTW be careful buying off any 'dealer' on Taobao...
    first; just because they have pictures, don't make it real,
    second; a bloody good deal too good to be true - stamp that mantra to your forehead,
    thirdly; any 'seller' who isn't prepared to accept payment through Alipay should be treated with caution (read: contempt)...
    then there are other issues to consider, like after sales service and support, fapiao, supply chain, warranty and a whole host of bull faeces to deal with...
    Many of the motorcycles advertised on Taobao is but not all mind... there are a few fairly honest motorcycle dealers/sellers on Taobao.

Some of the manufacturers would likely be willing to sell a single bike direct, but warranty and servicing would still likely need to be handled by a dealer. Either approach can be a bit hit-and-miss.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-17-2014 at 06:50 AM.

5. #5 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    Hello Bikerdoc,
    Thanks for the sage advice about Taobao. With my zero Chinese language I am really fumbling about on there.
    Its more of a guide to set a budget.
    I am hoping that I can buy direct from the factory. May or may not be a dream. Thiis hopefully would enable me to make some direct contacts for the warranty and service issues that you mentioned
    Please tell me more about the Thai models you allude to. My primary goal is to have a bike in Thailand. The cheap ones there are all made in China and assembled in Thailand. Lifan for example. So I figured why not buy on in China and ride it to my part time home.
    A 650 two stroke twin sounds like a bit of a weapon. It brings back images of Kawasaki ans Suzuki 750 triples and 500cc open class Motorcrossers. Lookout !!!
    They where all quite lethal weapons in theie own right.

The last two posts have been great information. Keep them coming
    Regards Whitworth

6. #6 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    No CFMoto aren't making a 2 stroker. Sorry that was a typo, - corrected. I can't make any comment yet on who or what is being made in Thailand, other than to say I was not meaning to imply that a PRC manufacturer was doing so. I'm referring to international motorcycle brands... but since one of your fellow countryman decided to be an arse over a post about a collaboration between an Austrian motorcycle brand consisting of three letters and CFMoto I started a thread on quite some time ago, I'm not going to go out on a limb with too much pre-release insider info. Suffice to say that one Italian brand is joining the ranks of both KTM, Kawasaki and others in manufacturing some models in Thailand. Nuff said...

7. #7 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I'm not going to go out on a limb with too much pre-release insider info. Suffice to say that one Italian brand is joining the ranks of both KTM, Kawasaki and others in manufacturing some models in Thailand. Nuff said...
    DOC, let me help here. Anyways it's hardly a secret by now.

The new Ducati Scrambler will be procuced in Thailand, featuring the air cooled Ducati V-twin and "is intended to be a low-priced, easily accessible bike sporting a great look." (http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/15...s-and-updates/)

Let's not forget that the Thailand Ducati plant is already fully operative and already producing the Monster 795 for Asian markets. Said bike retails in China for around 119'000 RMB. Source: http://ducatichina.cn/bike/121

8. #8 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome Whitworth!

Several MCM members, past and present, have ridden around China. Most have done this on small, domestic bikes and/or scooters. The main reason for this is simple ... mechanical support.

The interesting roads in China are punishing on a machine. The bike will be shaked, rattled & rolled (and so will you) into oblivion. However, small domestic motorcycles are the basic transportation for most of China's population (i.e., rural residents), and these bikes need to be repaired on a regular basis. Every little hamlet has a "mechanic" who can "repair" these basic motorcycles, for mere pennies. Further, you don't need fluency in Chinese - just point and cry - they'll quickly figure it out, and point you to nearest place to get food & beer, while you wait for them to rebuild your bike with a crescent wrench and a hammer. If you're on an imported bike, it will be the shop personnel who will be pointing ... and laughing ... and saying "hell ya, we can swap that Duc L twin engine out with a Jialing 150cc - we just need to weld some new mounts in, and toss out all that EFI crap!"

We, inside China, are being teased by new offerings from foreign manufacturers ... but they are far from being an intelligent "travel around China" bike. There is simply no dealer support network, and the advanced technologies require specialized tools, handled by trained technicians - both of which you will never find outside the major urban areas. Besides, imported bike prices are ridiculous - truly insane - it is all about showing off a certain image.

When I get paroled from China, and back to a bike-friendly country, my first purchase will be the new model of Ducati Multistrada (which Kevin Ash [RIP] calls "probably the best motorcycle in the world") ... but while I am still serving out my sentence, I'll stick with inexpensive domestic bikes. Frankly, any domestic bike is fine, if you are riding solo. Over in Chinese motorcycle forums, lots of "adv riders" prefer scooters for around-China tours.

My two cent recommendation would be to get a reasonably priced and LIGHT bike, commonly used by your typical Chinese rider. Spend your money on hotels with a decent toilet. In the long run, that will make your trip MUCH more enjoyable!

Addendum: also budget for carrying your own toilet paper.

9. #9 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    Quote Originally Posted by vale46 View Post
    DOC, let me help here. Anyways it's hardly a secret by now.

The new Ducati Scrambler will be procuced in Thailand, featuring the air cooled Ducati V-twin and "is intended to be a low-priced, easily accessible bike sporting a great look." (http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/15...s-and-updates/)

Let's not forget that the Thailand Ducati plant is already fully operative and already producing the Monster 795 for Asian markets. Said bike retails in China for around 119'000 RMB. Source: http://ducatichina.cn/bike/121
    Hello Vale,
    Thanks for the tip. I looked at the article and there is a picture of a 450 scrambler. My mate used to have one of these and I clocked quite a few hours riding around in the outback on it.
    It was a really light and handled quite well.
    Amazing
    Regards Whitworth

10. #10 Re: Newbie from Western Australia 
    Several MCM members, past and present, have ridden around China. Most have done this on small, domestic bikes and/or scooters. The main reason for this is simple ... mechanical support.

The interesting roads in China are punishing on a machine. The bike will be shaked, rattled & rolled (and so will you) into oblivion. However, small domestic motorcycles are the basic transportation for most of China's population (i.e., rural residents), and these bikes need to be repaired on a regular basis. Every little hamlet has a "mechanic" who can "repair" these basic motorcycles, for mere pennies. Further, you don't need fluency in Chinese - just point and cry - they'll quickly figure it out, and point you to nearest place to get food & beer, while you wait for them to rebuild your bike with a crescent wrench and a hammer. If you're on an imported bike, it will be the shop personnel who will be pointing ... and laughing ... and saying "hell ya, we can swap that Duc V twin out with a Jialing 150cc - we just need to weld some new mounts in"

We, inside China, are being teased by new offerings from foreign manufacturers ... but they are far from being an intelligent "travel around China" bike. There is simply no dealer support network, and the advanced technologies require specialized tools, handled by trained technicians - both of which you will never find outside the major urban areas. Besides, imported bike prices are ridiculous - truly insane - it is all about showing off a certain image.

When I get paroled from China, and back to a bike-friendly country, my first purchase will be the new model of Ducati Multistrada (which Kevin Ash [RIP] calls "probably the best motorcycle in the world") ... but while I am still serving out my sentence, I'll stick with inexpensive domestic bikes. Frankly, any domestic bike is fine, if you are riding solo. Over in Chinese motorcycle forums, lots of "adv riders" prefer scooters for around-China tours.

My two cent recommendation would be to get a reasonably priced and LIGHT bike, commonly used by your typical Chinese rider. Spend your money on hotels with a decent toilet. In the long run, that will make your trip MUCH more enjoyable![/QUOTE]

Hello Lao Jia Hou,
    My sentiments exactly. I know from my limited riding and extensive driving around Thailand and Laos that your advice is spot on.
    I have been talking to my mates and they are of the opinion that something like a Yamaha WR250R is the bike.
    While I realise the Yamaha is still quite a technically advanced bike. Is there a chinese equivalent?
    Not having local knowledge means I have to ask these questions.
    What do you think of this Bike
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...p260904107ca9d
    I do like the comment about the toilet paper Ha ha
    Regards Whitworth
    Last edited by whitworthsocket; 11-30-2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: double post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast