Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Technically anything over 250cc is illegal..........but TIC and it seems some local ideas preempt National rules.

WTO rules are being used against China in regards to bigger bikes, at this point they are resisting but as soon as the Chinese have a viable big bike I'm sure the regulations will be relaxed. As I understand Beijing is the only area where you can actually get a new imported bigger bike registered.

The Jialing 600 in 2 and 3 wheel varients is registrable in some areas. Frankie here has one and I've seen pictures of others with plates. I think this is the start of the opening up policy, the Govt want to have a player or two in place before they open up the market to all comers. And then they may do so in increasing displacement sizes.

New Chang 3 wheeler registrations are now stopped nationwide.......and it seems just as this regulation came to pass it seems it has become possible to get the Jailing 3 wheeler registered and plated......with the caveat that no all provinces are are obliged to do so.

Shanghai is particularly tough......no new CJ plates for about 5 years and same for two wheelers. CJ's cannot be transferred from one owner to another and the plates cannot be switched from an old bike that's been ordered scrapped to a new machine now. It's still possible I think to do this with 2 wheeler plates but you pay a premium to get them from the original owner if you want to run a bike in your own name. I heard that the going value was @ 20,000 RMB and up.......but as a foreigner you have the possibility of additional residence restrictions.

The value is based on the trade in value scheme the local Govt invented a few years ago to get bikes off the roads. After 8 years of ownership of the bike plates you could trade in the plates, scrap the bike and get car plates. This was attractive as car plates were going for @ 40,000 ++ RMB even though Beijing decreed this against it's regulations....... the auction of plates/registrations still goes on today.

What happened was the bike riders turned in the plates for the car plates, sold them back to the State, the State then auctioned them off, gave the money to the bike owner who then bought a smaller blue plated 50cc bike and pocketed the rest of the cash.........so one more car on the road, same amount of bikes buzzing around and another ill thought out policy hits the books. I believe they assumed people with bikes would trade up to cars.......but they just downgraded engine size and ate better.

Only when there is total gridlock in the cities and they've run out of space available for roads will they see the sense of two wheels again.............Downtown they even tried to ban the bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker
    The R1 is imported, I assume. Price calculates approx. as follows:

Landed price (the CIF price) + 31% (import duty) + 10% (environmental fee ??) + dealer margin + 17% VAT = fapiao price + 8.9% (purchase fee) = A LOT + plate (depending on the city / province)
    Ahh Andy, now this is more what I was thinking.......So I was hoping that a Chinese made bike above 250cc would be.......

Manufacturers/dealers price + 0% (import duty) as it's made in China)) + 10% environmental fee + 17% VAT(where applicable) = fapiao price + 8.9% (purchase fee) = Expensive (possibly affordable) + plate in rural/small town China (probably quite cheap).

Are we basically saying that that an imported R1 or BMW is three times the price 'on road' in China? (as compared to its home country) Whereas a Chinese 500c might cost twice as much as its purchase price to get 'on the road' or am I reading between the lines too much? We can only be general here because of the variations between provinces......

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in PRC.
    Only when there is total gridlock in the cities and they've run out of space available for roads will they see the sense of two wheels again.............Downtown they even tried to ban the bicycle.
    This is so right! The Chinese authorities seem to be in a phase of trying to legislate everything except cars off the roads...including bicycles! WTF?!! Anything that might use up precious car space. But as they have done this they have realized that it is the actual cars themselves that are the number 1 problem! I'm sure with a healthy influence of Hong Kong/T*****(Self censoring)/Singapore culture of loving all things two wheels China will change in the next 5 to 10 years.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in PRC.
    The Jialing 600 in 2 and 3 wheel variants is registrable in some areas.
    Let's hope this is in my area too!

Lets say Asiawing Spark 500........

Manufacturers/dealers price = 20,000 RMB

+ 10% (environmental fee ??) = 2,000 RMB

+ 17% VAT = 3400 RMB

= fapiao price = 25400 RMB

+ 8.9% (purchase fee) = 2300 RMB

= 300 RMB registration (for Shandong)

Grand Total = 28,000 RMB

So I feel this would be affordable, if the bike could be legally registered.....
    Last edited by ZMC888; 02-13-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: retarded math!

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Ahh Andy, now this is more what I was thinking.......So I was hoping that a Chinese made bike above 250cc would be.......

Manufacturers/dealers price + 0% (import duty) as it's made in China)) + 10% environmental fee + 17% VAT(where applicable) = fapiao price + 8.9% (purchase fee) = Expensive (possibly affordable) + plate in rural/small town China (probably quite cheap).

Are we basically saying that that an imported R1 or BMW is three times the price 'on road' in China? (as compared to its home country) Whereas a Chinese 500c might cost twice as much as its purchase price to get 'on the road' or am I reading between the lines too much? We can only be general here because of the variations between provinces......
    An imported bike (Yam, BMW, HD, DUC), legally (or as legal as possible ) on the road in China is somewhat double the price from it's country of origin .
    A street legal, ready to go JH600 should be around for under 40k.

Andy
    Andy

Thanks Andy, question answered!

A Chinese bike over 500cc will become around 25% more expensive when registered legally, depending on the cost and availability in your province or city.

ZCM, you have a line on an Asiawing? Remember, ride reports and photos/videos...

Factory visit and ride report still to come.........

Wait for a while, need time and weather to be right.

ZMC,

If there is any strength in numbers, I'm willing to fly up and visit Asiawing with you. How far from a major airport is the factory?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

V, kind of you to offer to come up to help, but I don't think it's a good idea to waste all that money flying and then you'd have to take buses and taxis and such.

I will give you all the low-down on the facts plus pictures and will be super nice to them, and try to pull in all 'guanxi' favors with the factory through the locals.

Also I will only make a decision to go down if the weather is dry, sunny, and above 15c. Weather may be warm enough this weekend, but don't hold your breath!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast