Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Campaign, crackdown, updates on traffic enforcement (scooters) 
    C-Moto Noob
    On 11/28, around 11pm I spotted at least three ad hoc police checkpoints set up at the following intersections in BJ:

*ChangAn and Dongdaqiao
    *GuangHuaLu and Dongdaqiao
    *RitanBei Lu and Dongdaqiao

At the second one, I spotted three cops wait for two scooters heading southbound on Dongdaqiao. Once they got close, the three of them ran out into traffic and stopped the two scooters by surrounding them and pulling out the keys. Both were wearing helmets and did not appear (from my distance) to be obvious offenders who ruin it for others. But I do not know what happened prior to what I saw (perhaps they evaded a prior stop).

Anyway, wondering if some renewed enforcement program is underway.

2. #2 Re: Campaign, crackdown, updates on traffic enforcement (scooters) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Police need to get their quota before the Chinese new year perhaps!?
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

3. #3 Re: Campaign, crackdown, updates on traffic enforcement (scooters) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lsussman View Post
    But I do not know what happened prior to what I saw (perhaps they evaded a prior stop).
    You`re probably correct - something likely happened beforehand and these two scooters were being targeted. Maybe suspected of being involved in a theft?

Quote Originally Posted by lsussman View Post
    Anyway, wondering if some renewed enforcement program is underway.
    I haven't heard/read about any new campaign, although I usually only know about them AFTER I've been stopped, and I start looking around online. October/November have been quiet for me, although the gas stations appear to be back in full force with demanding documents (after a lull a bit earlier).

4. #4 Re: Campaign, crackdown, updates on traffic enforcement (scooters) 
    last week there was a thread on a guy on a scooter who hit a woman .... and then proceeded to tell her off....tonight I got word that his result would be deporting after 15 days incarceration, pay 6500 and his father will also be deported.... the indication is they were working without proper papers and the employer will be fined 20,000rmb. Now this is not verified information as I got it from a phone news source here in China.. so not promising this is the whole story .. just what I heard.
    LMMC/LAMF

5. #5 Re: Campaign, crackdown, updates on traffic enforcement (scooters) 
    your information is quite accurate.

Father ans son have been deported. Both working illegally in BJ without permit, the scooter was illegal, the guy had no driving license, the traffic video shows his total rule breaking turn on the cross road, a phone video recording show him naming the Chinese woman a bitch and much worse chinese wording ..... so they charged them penalty and kicked 'em out ....

my statement: Well done! This assh... damage the Laowai image another time

I wish we would the same fast process in Germany ....
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

6. #6 Re: Campaign, crackdown, updates on traffic enforcement (scooters) 
    @ hclayjones: Thanks for the update. And this just arrived online an hour, or so, ago.

CRI News link

@ shuben

Couldn`t agree more! This is yet another example of a laowai-idiot that affects us all. I do wish, however, that he received even more of a penalty - the full 15 days for each of the Traffic and Employment offences.

Once again, as mentioned on the other thread, I am sure that he wasn`t setting out on his morning`s journey expecting this shit to happen. Folks, illegal bikes/plates just aren`t worth it in Beijing. Maybe the countryside, or smallish 2nd/3rd tier cities ... but not the nation's capital, FFS! Father & son ... dumb & dumber.

[rant]On Monday of this week, I was riding my scooter in Sanlitun. I watched an unplated sidecar being ridden in the bike lane by an old laowai, with a young female in the bucket (of course!). Both were unhelmeted. The laowai was riding like an idiot, honking his oversized horn at all the bicycles, e-bikes, etc., in the bike lane .. "get out of my way, peasants - cool laowai coming through". F me, it really made my blood boil - seriously made me want to go smack him around, but TIC so I just stared/glared (adopting the typical Chinese reaction). The idiot sidecar rider, who saw me staring, probably thought to himself "oh look at that big guy on that tiny scooter staring at me - he is probably jealous of how cool I am!" Grrrr ... time to take deep breaths.[/rant]

==========

On other news of crackdowns, etc.

Starting at the beginning of December, traffic camera enforcement is apparently now being used for 京B-plates within the 4th ring road, in addition to the more common roadside police enforcement. If you are nabbed by a policeman on the side of the road, you will probably only receive a 100 rmb fine. The cameras, however, are also handing out a 3 point deduction, in addition to the fine. Ouch.

京A-plate prices usually climb in December -> March each year, but this year the jump has been dramatic. Over the past week, or so, following the 京B-plate camera crackdown, 京A plate market prices have jumped from 50-60K, to 70-80K. Another "ouch"

7. #7 Re: Campaign, crackdown, updates on traffic enforcement (scooters) 
    This morning I heard tht there is a special 60 man force to take San le tun and check foreigners 24 hrs per day (for passports)......stay frosty!
    LMMC/LAMF

8. #8 Re: Campaign, crackdown, updates on traffic enforcement (scooters) 
    C-Moto Regular
    Recent information on motorfans strongly suggests that 公户(registered to companies and not individuals) Jing B plates will no longer be issued starting from 2014 and that Jing A plates may become non-transferable like Beijing car plates.

9. #9 Re: Campaign, crackdown, updates on traffic enforcement (scooters) 
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ View Post
    Recent information on motorfans strongly suggests that 公户(registered to companies and not individuals) Jing B plates will no longer be issued starting from 2014 and that Jing A plates may become non-transferable like Beijing car plates.
    Re 京B plates: Government is probably correct in addressing the company-registered plates. However, the unintended consequences could result in the value of existing company 京B plates rising. More likely, however, is that enterprising Chinese individuals who live in the 京B areas will sell their registration services for a fee (i.e., the same as is currently being done with companies). And if government says 1 person = 1 bike registration, well, I am sure the entrepreneurs have brothers, sisters, moms, dads, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, kids, neighbors, and so on. Or, instead of jing B plates, people will just arrange Hebei plates. TIC - always a way around silly government policies concerning "control".

Re 京A plates: Unless government begins issuing new 京A plates (quite unlikely, IMHO), I think the dealers (and citizens) will be quite unhappy with such a policy (non-transferable A plates). For example, how will the buyer of a new Harley / BMW / KTM / Ducati / etc., etc., etc. be able to get a legal plate? The unintended consequence could be a windfall for the illegal bike market, which is already flourishing. I've also heard a rumor that a lottery system will be put into place for 京A plates, functioning in the same manner as with cars. Again, TIC, and one can easily get around the car-plate lottery, for a price (around 80K right now). Walk into the Ferrari dealer with your bag of money and you will get a car plate without much trouble.

Due to years of mismanagement, and a myriad of patchwork "solutions", the government is faced with a can of worms. In its attempts at cleaning things up, it simply keeps throwing more worms in the can. It needs to start with a blank sheet of paper, and redesign the whole system. Unfortunately, I don't think many "leaders" have studied market economics, or public policy. There are libraries filled with studies on the true effects of price controls, but those studies are written in English. Or the city governments could simply take a look at the disaster underway in Venezuela with its price-control measures.

In the December - March period (when bonuses are paid out), each year for the past several years, 京A plates have dramatically risen in price. During this predictable period, people start screaming about prices (understandable), and government considers knee-jerk reactions. As one analogous example, the government's property-price cooling-measures seem to have had the opposite effect - house prices rose 20% year-over-year (2012-2013) in Beijing.

But who can predict anything that might happen in China? Definitely not me! But in my own China-experience, I've come to realize that whatever steps are taken, I am quite confident that they will almost certainly be the wrong ones. Like many people, I am planning my exit-strategy.

Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 12-13-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typical grammar/usage crap

10. #10 Re: Campaign, crackdown, updates on traffic enforcement (scooters) 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks for the info LJH and it sucks that you're thinking of leaving. China will have one less ambassador for law-abiding, recreational motorcycling.
    Last edited by PeteZ; 12-14-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast