Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'd like to bring as little gear as possible over with me on the plane. I've never looked on my previous trips over for gear prices. Anyone near Shanghai know of the availablility of reasonalble quality helmets?

They're too bulky to bring over, but I don't want to wear the typical unlined plastic shell that I've seen so many native riders use. Is it possible to find a helmet that is at least DOT certified?

Cheers,

Dan k.

Dan,

I will take you to the motorcycle market in Shanghai and we can out fit you with a helmet of your choice.

Winston

Quote Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
    . Is it possible to find a helmet that is at least DOT certified?
    Yeah.............I'll print the stickers myself.

Yes easy to find a pretty good lid......and DOT compliance is I believe self policing so

The new latest wiz bang helmet brand locally in Shanghai is Tanked..........check the prices on www.taobao.com The literature states DOT compliance for some of their products @350 RMB for their top of the line. I've seen them at the bike market in Shanghai.........and now you also have something to base your bargaining skills around. Also easy to find Harley leather jackets and boots.......but then again it has Harley plastered all over it.

After seeing my friends Chinese Pilots helmet that I also favour fall 3 feet and crack like an egg I believe I'll be looking for a replacement soon. The temple piercing visor bolts should have been the first clue however.

As usual very few of the many, many helmets available inside China are DOT or Snell certified. However millions of helmets that meet these standards are manufactured in China for export. This is because most Chinese riders only use helmets to keep their head warm in winter, thus there is very low domestic demand for anything decent, and hence the low availability.

5. #15 Thanks everyone 
    Hey, thanks to everyone for the information and offers of help, but it looks like my nascent plans for a proper bike romp around the countryside are going to have to be put on hold.

My wife and I come back to China every two years 'cause it takes that long to save up the money for the airfare, hotels, etc. Unfortunately, although I can easily afford the cost of renting a bike, etc. the company that I was dealing with needs for me to provide a sizable cash security deposit for the bike. I just can't swing it. Such is life.

That, as they say, is life. I guess I'll just have to settle for being a regular old tourist on this next visit.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan,

I really sorry things could not be different..... Let me know if there is anything you need help with in the future.

Winston

Winston,

No worries. Thanks for your help. Hopefully, in the future, things will work out better.

Cheers,

Dan K.

8. #18 The countdown begins 
    Once again, thanks to everyone who's offered help and information.

It looks like my wife's Green Card renewal paperwork went through OK, so we're confident enough to schedule May 23rd. as our date for flying from Denver to Shanghai. I got the boss to let me take three weeks in a row off (I was sweating that request a little bit. We just laid off 40% my fellow I.T. staffers last week! Yikes. . .), so we'll be in China until June 13th.

I'm itching to get a bike under me while I'm there. I intend to check out a few CJ shops in Shanghai while we spend a few days doing the tourist thing when we arrive. Then it's off to SuZhou, HangZhou, and NanJing for some days.

We're going to take the train from NanJing up to BeiJing, where I'm hoping that I'll be able to get two wheels under me for at least 5 days. No firm plans there yet, but I've rec'd offers of help in that regard.

The only potential hiccup at this point is my wife went and had a few interviews with a Chinese paper manufacturing company that is looking to expand into the U.S. domestic paper market and is looking for a marketing manager for their start-up based in Los Angeles. Two paychecks coming in would be nice, but I'm hoping this won't break out plans.

I hope that I'll be meeting in person a few of you folks that I've met here in MCM. Beers are on me.

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Black Hawk, CO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12