Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 looking for another wanderer. . . 
    Greetings All,

I'm making plans for my next trip out to China. This time I and my wife will be flying into Shanghai and we'll be staying for three weeks. Looks like the middle of May would be the earliest to arrive. We still aren't able to lock down dates as we're dealing with renewing my wife's Green Card here in the States and we have to work around the gov'ts schedule.

Anyway, I am presently negotiating with another forum member, ShanghaiFingers (Winston Sa) to rent a Chang Jiang rig from him. I'm planning on spending 5 to 7 days traveling around the back roads.

So far there is no exact itinerary, just the notion that we'll pick the bike up in Shanghai and ride some sort of big loop that ends back in Shanghai 7 days later. I've never attempted to camp in China and I am totally unfamiliar with that part of China. I don't know the "rules of the road" as far as what is allowed when one is looking for a camping spot. If anyone with experience cares to share I'd appreciate it.

Right now I am trying to convince two of my riding buddies to come over with us so that we can make a group ride, but they're hard to convince. I'd much prefer to ride with some other folks to make the ride more enjoyable and add a little peace of mind. Any China Riders living in or near Shanghai that would be interested in such a trip?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Black Hawk, Colorado

Forget about camping around Shanghai. The region and the terrain are not appropriate for that. You'll find cheap hotels everywhere.

Brice,

Thanks for the reply. It's disheartening however. I was hoping to be able to camp every other night. How far away from Shanghai does one need to go before that possibility arises?

What is it about the topography that makes camping difficult? I understand if an area is too built-up, but otherwise don't see what would prevent camping. I know there's no such thing as a commercial campground or provincial-type park to offer camping, but I've gotten all around Europe and North America just by traveling off the road a little bit.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan K.

The area around Shanghai is a vast crowded delta with low lands close to sea level. When it is not built, it is rice fields, rivers or ponds.

You will find few spots where you can set up a tent but they will be certainly full of rubbish.

Also if security is one of your concerns better to stay in an hotel where you can park your bike.

Regarding the hotels, you can find some very cheap places. It's called hotel but it is more few rooms on the back or above a shop.

Dan,

Camping is pretty difficult in most parts of "non-remote" China. Doesn't seem to matter where you stop, someone comes along and then it becomes a crowd. If the police find you, they won't really care that your camping, but they don't want to risk the loss of face if something happens to you, or your stuff, on their watch. Generally they will try to persuade you to find other accommodations for the night.

Technically speaking, you're suppose to register where you are each day at the local police station or a certified hotel. I have rarely seen this law enforced, but it does happen on occasion.

Good luck with the upcoming adventure, even if you don't camp it's going to be a great time.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

I love camping so during my last trip I had a tent, a sleeping bag and all the needed gear to do my meals. I never used them once in a month. I could have saved 5 or 6 kg. Always found a village with a place to sleep, have a shower and a good dinner. Also it was one of the rare moments where I could interact with people after a day alone on the bike.

7. #7 Camping 
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    The area around Shanghai is a vast crowded delta with low lands close to sea level. When it is not built, it is rice fields, rivers or ponds.

You will find few spots where you can set up a tent but they will be certainly full of rubbish.
    Very true Brice. I want to add that this area is heavily populated and you'll probably don't even have a minute alone, provided that you were able to find a spot

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Also if security is one of your concerns better to stay in an hotel where you can park your bike.
    I think this depends very much on the region you are camping. Beijing, Hebei, Inner Mongolia and Shanxi have never been a security problem for us. We stayed away from bigger towns and made contact with the locals. Buy something from them, like fresh eggs for breakfast, and they'll be your friends. Sometimes village police show up, invite them to stay for a beer and you are very safe. Bring some giveaways like lighters, pens, imported candy or other small stuff. Sometimes they even show you better spots to pitch your tent.

Andy
    Andy

Hey Guys,

You can camp "near" Shanghai but its at least a full days ride from the city....
    It completely un offical and most likely on a farmers land.... but has been done and can be done again

Thanks everyone for the info. I was hoping one day's ride would get me far enough out to be able to find camping spots. It's not the end of the world if I have to motel it every night. It would certainly knock down the amount of gear that I'll have to either bring over or buy/rent in Shanghai.

I'm negotiating with Winston Sa on the bike rental etc. right now so maybe he can provide me some GPS coordinates for some camping spots he knows.

Again, if any Shanghai bikers are interested, I'd welcome and enjoy more company.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast