Fellow MCMers,

An announcement: I am teaming up with a small team of expat motorcycle/electric vehicle enthusiasts here in Beijing to seriously investigate the feasibility of designing and manufacturing a line of proper electric motorcycles here in China.

As part of the requisite R&D process in the run-up to this, wed like to find out more about riding habits of various demographic groups here in China including the expat motorcycling community. Given that MCM is itself, a tightly knit community of expat motorcyclists in China, I felt itd be an appropriate venue to conduct such a survey (below), to find out more about the viability of this idea.

I would be most grateful if you had 5 minutes of time to spare, to share your thoughts and views on the notion of a small, foreign-run designing and manufacturing startup developing and selling electric motorcycles domestically here in China, through the below survey. Just copy the below responses and embolden/underline your response.

Thanks a million for your time, thoughts, suggestions and ideas.

Feel free to ping me with a PM if you have any questions.

-----

1. Do you ride a motorcycle?
Yes, I currently do
I used to, but not at the moment
I have not, but am interested in doing so
No

2. Do you own/have you owned an electric bike/electric scooter/electric motorcycle?
Yes
No

3. If you have never owned an electric bike/scooter/motorcycle, would you ever consider riding an electric motorcycle?
Yes, definitely
I would think about it
No

4. And if no, why not?
Limited range
Cheap image
Slow performance
Legalities
Cost
Visceral/emotional thrill (sound, vibrations, working a gearbox etc.)
None of the above

5. What style of motorcycle do you prefer?
Sport
Naked Street Fighter
Adventure
Scooter

6. If you have a bike, what do you mainly use it for?
Commuting
Leisure

7. What level of performance would you deem acceptable to you?
50cc
150cc
250cc
400cc
600cc
1000cc+

8. What amount of storage do you require on a motorcycle?
None
Small top box
Large top box
Large top box & small side boxes
Large top box & large side boxes

9. If you were to ride an electric motorcycle, what range would you require out of it on a single charge (to cover 95% of your riding scenarios)?
Under 25km
25 - 50km
50 - 75km
75 - 100km
100 - 150km
Over 150km

10. As an electric, two-wheeled vehicle, an electric motorcycle technically does not require a motorcycle plate (although one could argue that it requires an electric bicycle plate). As such, the total on-the-road cost of the vehicle is the cost of the vehicle only i.e. no plating costs. Given this, if you were to buy an electric motorcycle which met your performance and practicality requirements, where would you set your budget?
Under RMB10K
RMB 10 - 30K
RMB 30 - 50K
RMB 50 - 70K
RMB 70 - 100K
Over RMB100K

11. If something on the electric motorcycle requires repair/replacement, would you be able and/or willing to repair/replace the component as an individual?
Yes, able and willing
Yes, able but not willing
No

12. Any other comments/suggestions/feedback?