Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: ASIAWING LX450

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: ASIAWING LX450 
    C-Moto Guru
    Well, AFAIK Christini still uses Asiawing for their AWD bikes.

2. #32 Re: ASIAWING LX450 
    Yeah and the Christini is a copy of a Honda CRF450, Its up to Honda to prove its theirs and can sue for damages. They are currently relying on dealers in local markets to do that, for now, its their way of gauging the actual threat to sales. If a Honda dealer gets wind of these, most likely have never heard of Christini , but if they cut into their sales, they can file a lawsuit in a local court, there is a case against CFMOTO, it was a complaint originating out of a local Polaris dealer that made the compliant and in that got them to stop selling what they believe is a copy of one of their side by sides. Its called a stop order or a cease and deceit.

http://news.priorsmart.com/polaris-i...ersports-l3k8/

Its not ok to sell copies….Its a tort, civil matter the government as in the law backs the civil rights of the owner of the designs, it not criminal so the police do not come in and arrest anyone, they get letters from the attorneys, stating that they are violating their rights. Once that begins its all over but the crying. The Japanese are funny about it, they typically settle quietly out of court, but Honda of America is not that Japanese, yes it is part of a Japanese company, but it also very American these days, at least American Honda Motor Co. is very American/
    http://www.honda.com/

They will give them enough rope to hang themselves with…IMO

3. #33 Re: ASIAWING LX450 
    Very interesting thread about this bike.
    My journey into the dirt bike arena in china have recently come full circle and I guess it's more or less due to exorbitant cost of smaller cc bikes. Without boring you with the details of said journey it seems that deciding on this type of bike (dirt bike) has two overwhelming factors for the country that I am in. (1) China - KTM is here with the 350 EXC and it can be had for 150 some odd thousand RMB. IMO a ridiculous price, but even more ridiculous is the inability to sell it when your done (I'm talking legal plated bike). (2) Bike Build - "There are no free lunches" I have read and truly appreciate the feedback, but from where I stand, I have never purchased any vehicle motorcycle or automobile from China or the US that didn't involve spending additional money to make it my own or enhance the performance. Heck, besides the purchase price you don't wanna know what I have in my GSA and I'm waiting on more upgraded parts as we speak. What I'm trying to say is that (again, from where I stand) even the purchase of a KTM out of the box is going to be PLUS, PLUS, PLUS. If I apply this thinking to the Aisawing LD450 it seems to me that a proper bonafied dirt bike could be had with the right upgrades.
    The two most important attributes to any bike have got to be the engine and the frame, these are the things that you can't change. From what I've seen this bike has these two attributes in it's favor.
    So let's do the math:
    KTM 350 EXC = 150,000 RMB Plus, Plus, Plus
    KTM 500 EXC = 200,000 RMB Plus, Plus, Plus
    Aisawing LD450 = 32,000 RMB You lose your mind, go crazy and literally make it a CRF with Honda parts or aftermarket parts (I'm talking) forks, chain, big bore kit, wheels, hubs, tires shocks & springs, carburetor, clutch & brake cables wiring harness, the whole nine yards, say 70,000 RMB (most people won't do that) you would still end up way short of the KTM mark out of the box.

After listening to all the talk and after having seen and rode the bike for myself, this bike is where I'll probably end up biting the bullet, because at the end of the day the bike is upgradeable where as, AFAIK all of the other Chinese bikes do not have that ability.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

4. #34 Re: ASIAWING LX450 
    C-Moto Guru
    Since you want to change basically everything, why bother buying a whole bike, and not get just the frame from ASIAWING? And maybe an engine?

5. #35 Re: ASIAWING LX450 
    Funny you should mention buying the frame and engine because I have discussed that option with one or two other people and on it's face it sounds like a great idea. The overriding factor that prevents that approach would be the inability to legally plate and register the bike here in Shanghai. As an example, if I were in the US doing something like that would be a no brainer, but then again, if I were in the US I'd just buy the KTM 500 EXC and call it a day.

The whole point of talking about purchasing the Asiawing bike is because of the frame and the engine, because those two features that make the bike attractive. The forks, triple clamps, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, etc. are the items that need to be dealt with.

"There are no free lunches". Making a stand on a Chinese bike requires biting the bullet on the purchase price. Can I live with double of what an X2 would cost? I believe the cost of the X5 is around 30,000 RMB as well.

Without anything to compare LD450 to it would be hard to see the bikes value, but there are comparisons to be made against other bikes in the same class. The Shineray X2, and the KTM 350 EXC are in the same class of bikes albeit on opposite ends of the spectrum with none comparable engines. I've ridden both bikes and the KTM is a great bike but falls short in terms of what I want to get out of a bike of this nature. The KTM kept me wanting for more power, but the bigger issue for me is the bikes inability to act as a traveling enduro. These two areas is where the 500 EXC gives you all that your longing for.

Motorcycles are best chosen to fill the need for particular types of riding. Other than the frame & engine my GSA is not even close to being the same bike that I originally purchased. The bike has has been transformed to tailor fit to my riding style. This holds true to for any dirt bike purchase as well.

The LD450 will never be a 500 EXC, but with the right upgrades it has a great chance of becoming a bike that can hold it's own in some of the best circles of bikes. The GSA can do most of what I want to do except tackle tight gnarly stuff, steep inclines, and tight trails, the bike is just too big & heavy. This is where something the LD450 can really be brought to shine, and with the right sprocket changes it should be able to travel the pavement and act as a true enduro, unlike the KTM 350.

The savings will come in the form of comparison to the KTM 350EXC. An all out upgrade with a total cost of say, 100,000 RMB as compared to bone stock KTM 350 EXC at 150,000 RMB, Plus, Plus, Plus. Would I end up putting an additional 50,000 RMB in the KTM for upgrades? Probably!!! They way I see it the Asiawing LD450 could save me 100,000 RMB or more depending on how far I'd feel the need to upgrade it, so I can't help but look at it as a smart buy and a bike that I should be able to live with. I already have a Yamaha YBR with less then 1,500 km's in over a 1½ year period that I can't live with, so I am very familiar with that feeling.

The OP said that the 2006 CRF 450 parts swapped over with no problems at all so, I don't think that gathering 06 parts in preparation for the swap is going to be that big of a deal and as I'm thinking about it, probably not as expensive as the 70,000 RMB that's in my head right now.

I think the Asiawing can be a winner if you can recognize what it is and are willing to work with it. From my point of view, because the bike lends itself to proper upgrades and can be had for what I think is a reasonable price, I'd be willing to invest a little money into it.

The bike also comes in two flavors, the basic model for about 25,000 RMB, and their upgraded model with CNC forks, triple clamp, hubs, etc. for about 33,000 RMB. I don't think those are bad prices to get started with.

If I purchase the upgraded CNC version there are a few things that need to be dealt with up front like the carburetor, brake, and clutch cables. After that ride the bike and perform the required upgrades as I see fit.
    OR,
    Purchase the base model and swap out everything on day one.

The next task is to price out the upgraded parts in order to get a realistic idea of what the total cost could be.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

6. #36 Re: ASIAWING LX450 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob whitworthsocket's Avatar
    Western Australia, often Udon Thani Thailand
    I really like the look of the Asiawing.
    I think they have addressed some of the quality issues that where around when they first came on to the market.
    The vote is still not in about ultimate reliability.
    In Australia they are branded ODES

http://www.goldcoastmotorcycles.com/...odes-450e.html
    http://downunderdirtbikes.com/main.a...ODES%20MCF450E

I am not sure about the 33,000RMB price though.

They retail on road here for AUD$6990 = RMB 38,452

The down under dirtbikes website states that the 2013 model has an upgraded exhaust pipe.

Regards Whitworth
    Previous. Honda CB400-4, Ducati 860 GTS, Ducati 900SS, Yamaha TT500, Motoguzzi V50, BMW 80/7,Kawasaki KLR250, BMW 100/7.My all time favourite-BMW R80G/S.
    Current BMW K75c Vespa 150, Zundapp-Bella 200, Jawacezeta 175.

7. #37 Re: ASIAWING LX450 
    I can't comment on whether the bike is reliable or not because I really don't have a clue, but in all honesty I'm not that concerned about it. My approach to dealing with this bike is more then likely quite different then that of the average bear. The way that I want to ride it and the places that I'd like to travel to will never be carefree if left to the hands of a Chinese manufacturer. The best way for me is go in with my eyes wide open.

I've heard good things about the engine and I've know someone that's been trying to kill it after adding a big bore kit and he claims it's like a Timex watch.

My previous test ride on the 250cc proved that I will have no worries with the frame.

The thing is, I didn't just happen upon this bike. I met at the Tienma track a while back, I was telling him about my dislikes of the X2 frame and he suggested checking out the Asiawing. Turns out the he and the company (French company) that he works for were the ones that designed the frame. He couldn't tell me much more about the bike but he was very confident about the frame design. If the frame of a bike isn't good the rest of it doesn't matter.

At the time the Shineray X2 had just come out and I was keen on that bike until a friend let me test ride his bike. I didn't get 50 meters before I wanted to turn around and give the bike back. It was the frame, I could feel it right away.

It wasn't long after that I got a chance to test ride the Asiawing 250cc bike. I can't remember being impressed with that bike either, but I wasn't complaining about the frame. To be clear, my test ride was not on the CNC upgraded bike it was standard.

So, fast forward to right now, they have a new model 450cc. I gotta believe that not much has changed from the previous bike except the engine. The uprated CNC parts may add something to the bike but I really dunno.

To be honest I was about 80% sold on the bike up until yesterday. What pushed me over the fence was when I read the review on this forum. Once I learned that the 06 Honda parts bolted right up I was sold.

From my point of view if the bike isn't reliable it dam sure will be by the time I get done with it.

As far as the price is concerned 33 is the price that I've been quoted, besides I know the guy. It stands to reason that purchasing the bike in OZ should be more expensive then buy an in country manufactured bike.

I had my heart set on a KTM but it looks like I'll end up with a Honda instead, things could be worst.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

8. #38 Re: ASIAWING LX450 
    Juice I really think you should hold off and buy a CFMOTO manufactured KTM and just having something legal and well(ish) made. Surely a heavily modded Asiawing is going to be a pain in term of reliability and legality.

9. #39 Re: ASIAWING LX450 
    Are you saying that CFMOTO is going to be producing bikes for KTM in China?

Believe me, I wouldn't even consider the Aisawing bike if I couldn't put a 沪C plate on it.

Am I must be missing something about the LD450? You guys are saying that the bikes not reliable? Please tell me what's the issues is with the bike, I really want to know. I think I'll have a re-read that review again, maybe I missed something because I don't remember anything jumping out at me.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

10. #40 Re: ASIAWING LX450 
    A quick re-read indicates the starter motor leaves little to be desired and the kick starters metal compound isn't going to win any medals either.

The wiring harness is a no brainer on any Chinese bike so puzzle there.

Just glanced at a post that said CFMOTO and a 650cc bike. Too heavy of a bike for what I'm looking for.

Well, it's not like I'm rushing out to buy the bike tomorrow, I'll ponder this a bit more and see what I can come up with in terms of parts and maybe see what I can do about putting an engine together.

The bike only works if the cost can be kept to a low roar, other then that it won't make any sense.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast