Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Marushin Helmets 
    So after many hours playing in the Shanghai motorcycle market, I have fallen in love with this:

They are available at a price less then TaoBao.com (barely) but at around 500.00 rmb its a good deal.
    Their company website

http://www.marushin-helmets.jp/%20)

Anyone got one of this type or us a Marushin Helmet?

What are your thoughts?

Winston

I've tried those on in motorcycle centers in Chengdu and while the general design appeals to me as a cross style (motox and standard full face) helmet, I found the visors had some optical distortion and weren't the easiest to lift, shut or swap.

For long distance riding I end up changing visors more than some might expect. Dark tinted reflective visors really help in keeping the inside of the helmet cool on hot sunny days as well as not straining the eye balls. At night or cool and cloudy conditions, visibility is critical so I stick with the clear. Sometimes I'll change visors several times a day so this feature is important. For travel I also tend to go with modular (lift face) helmets because it eases stuff like drinking, smoking and (more importantly) talking with people who would rather be talking to a friendly smiling face than Darth Vader.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

I think it looks great, what sort of safety standards do they have on helmets in China? Anything like this available in North America?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I think it looks great, what sort of safety standards do they have on helmets in China? Anything like this available in North America?
    I believe Maurshin JP is distributed to the USA. Have a look at their website....
    Over all quality was nice, felt a little light to be full DOT/SNELL standard but it could be new composite materials or something. The sizes seemed to run a little small so definitely try before you buy....

Winston

It says Canada coming soon, I did not see the USA...

Also no mention of snell or dot on their site?

It says they use a different method then standard to build them, resin transfer moulding, they are more lightweight and apparently spread out impact over the surface of the helmet better then a typical one... I would like to see test results before taking their word on that of course...

Looks like I am the designated crash test dummy

I have one, all black with tinted visor. It's ECE 22.05 approved, which is the Europe equivalent to the US DOT approval, I believe. It's great value, even if - like it has been said - the visor changing is a bit awkward. I think it gets easier with practice though. I think it's cool looking and it works for my use. Haven't used it for longer trips or in really bad weather yet though.

I've wondered this about the mx style helmets with the sun visor thing, in a crash, if it was face first wouldn't that likely cause your head to snap back and cause neck injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I've wondered this about the mx style helmets with the sun visor thing, in a crash, if it was face first wouldn't that likely cause your head to snap back and cause neck injuries?
    I saw on the Maurshin site that it is sort of modular in construction. The visor can be removed without tools to change the look. I would think it would snap of in situation you describe.

Also I am looking at my TroyLee design MX helmet and the visor is not one peice with the helmet... in fact if i pull hard enough... it... just... might... come... off.....................

Oh great! now I need some really strong glue

[/QUOTE]

Lord Vader that won't fit in your Tie fighter!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast