Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    Nick,
    I will be using a LEGAL "big scooter" plate not a 49cc plate which is only 3000 I have spoken with the goverment and the local police. Eventhing is above board!
    That's good news.......I'd no idea that there were big scooter blue plates. I thought blue was under 50cc and anything over be it a scooter or a bike got yellow..............I've seen big scooters with yellow plates. Impossible to keep up with all these regulations.

Have you had trouble with the Chang riding downtown ?

Neither was I.
    The whole reason sachs builder in GuangDong build the 120cc model is to meet this requirment (I think). The bike is labled as the Madass 125 but the builder clearly states is actual displacement is 120cc. I not sure if the export model is 125cc or also 120cc. It might be for the domestic Chinese market the lower the displacement.
    As I currently understand it;
    Bikes with displacements 125cc and over get yellow motorcycle plates. Bikes 50cc and over get large displacement scooter plates and under 50cc bike can get a blue plate at a lower cost (but not all under 50cc bike can get this plate, pocket bikes for one and mini dirtbikes). I believe the small LPG's and LNG's fall in the smaller catagory.
    You still need a HuKu from a family or friend, but they dont need a motorcycle endorcment for the scooter plate. Shanghai C plates(outside districts) can not go into the center of the city, the danger of confication is very real. This plate also has the added trouble of the fact that the Huko holder must also hold a vaild motorcycle drivers license.

Have you had trouble with the Chang riding downtown ?
    No not..... yet
    But tomorrow is another day.

Actually today I went out on a roadside repair for a friend who was riding a SOLO from Pudong. He had a flat and obviously no spare. He had just cleared the FuXing tunnel and the tire went POP!!. I used the YanAn elevated to get to Tibet rd. exit the drove around Yu Yuan for an hour looking for him with my CJ. We then fixed the bike in front of the police station(very stupid) and then at 3:30 today we rode together from Peoples Square to Gubei on the elevated rd.
    Last edited by Shanghaifingers; 03-04-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Holy Cow!

$2,900 US Dollars to register a bike under 125cc!

I hope the Shanghai authorities never wonder why they lost the mototgp!

Shame it didn't go to Zhuhai though.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Holy Cow!

$2,900 US Dollars to register a bike under 125cc!
    Makes @35,000 RMB for a Shanghai car plates a bargain huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in PRC. View Post
    Makes @35,000 RMB for a Shanghai car plates a bargain huh.
    It cost the same 35,000 rmb for a 150cc or larger bike. At least then you can upsale that to a car plate....
    For the less then 150cc plate you can resell to the dealer when you dont want it or transfer it to the next toy or person.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    It cost the same 35,000 rmb for a 150cc or larger bike. At least then you can upsale that to a car plate....
    Yeah until they change the rules one dark night. That's what happened to the Dealer I got my Shanghai CJ plate from.

Apparently he had a stock, that became worthless next day after a rule change.
    He hadn't owned them long enough to trade them in and they weren't yet transferred onto new bikes.

Wow that just sounds like really bad luck and timing. I fear this could happen to any of us at anytime. Fortunately I am only holding one plate.

You know some dark night they are going to decide to enforce all those motorcycle and CJ laws, then we are all left with something we can not use or sell! OUR BIKES!

That why i like this, and let me correct myself "light motorcycle" not "big scooter" plate. It will allow me to drive in and out of the downtown area completely without fear of harrasment, fines, or jail....

Just some footage of the a stock Madass 125 in the hands of a decent rider!

ITS ALL SHIT..... NICK was right its an engine swap. As I went to pick up the bike I took a quick glance at my new 20,000 rmb plate book and saw the bike was offically a 50 cc. when the engine is a 125.... The made up the shit about having a lite motorcycle plate its just a F*@KIng scooter plate on a motorcycle the cant even be registered as a motorcycle do to the fact that the have swapped the engine............ I almost killed someone. In my range I called the cops to the shop the came but nothing happened.... nothing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast