Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: HELP I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE!!!!!!! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hmmm, sounds like a air/fuel <> rich/lean mixture ummm... I don't think it is worth adding the word 'problem' at the end of that since it sounds more like it is an issue where the engine may not be given enough time to warm up before you push the choke back in all-the-way or in other words return it to the 'off' position.

Out of all my rides, I still have a bike with a choke, my Dragstar 1100. When the outdoor temps are warm (as in the kick arse hot summer one experiences here in this part of PRC) then the choke is only needed for a shorter duration than in the winter which we're getting into here. Snow hasn't arrived here yet, but the worst air pollution I've seen in these parts have (another story).

FWIW with the choke operation on the Dragstar, I apply full choke, turn ignition key on, and press the starter button (no throttle - actually all my bikes I never need to use throttle on start-up). I leave the bike with choke on full for like a minute or two while I put on my riding gear etc. Never ever timed it so maybe more time, maybe less. When the engine is getting warm enough the idle will start to increase on it's own, at that point I will usually back of the choke a tad to find that balance. If it's too cold then the engine will hiccup a little if I back of that choke too prematurely, which it's more likely to do when the ambient temps are also cold like now, and less so in summer. It takes small increments of backing off the choke, until the engine is warm enough to not need it.

I'm not sure OP if this is your issue or not, but try just letting the engine run with full choke for longer, do the RPMs increase when it gets warmer? If so then that is your cue to back off the choke. Rather than shutting the choke off completely try smaller increments towards choke off and see if that works for you.

2. #12 Re: HELP I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE!!!!!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I did do that earlier today, started it with choke up left for a few mins revved it a little bit, put the choke down maybe a 1/4 maybe a bit less maybe a bit more, and it was fine, took it down another notch after about 30-50 seconds, it was fine, took it down a bit more it was fine, until it was completely off, it was fine. it doesnt always happen but when it does it is a pain in the arse i just wondered if the dirt in the tank could be affecting this and the split in the pipe that i mentioned earlier

3. #13 Re: HELP I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE!!!!!!! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    ^^ what he said +1

After your last couple of posts, I had the sense that you are backing off the choke too soon, and then flooding the bike with too much gas when trying to restart. Tricky to restart a flooded engine, but it usually means you need to use full throttle and full choke to get it running again (it spurts & sputters for a little bit), then back off the throttle completely, and back off the choke slightly, and then manage the running using both throttle and choke.

Really difficult to know via the WWW. Need to see the bike in person, sorry.

4. #14 Re: HELP I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE!!!!!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    i cant always get it to run which is also a pain because i do rely on the thing to get to work and back everyday but thats only a 10-15 minute drive up the dual carriageway so obviously when it wont have none of it i get frustrated and end up late for work cause i had to get the crappy train which is why i need this issue permanently fixed

5. #15 Re: HELP I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE!!!!!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    i will give it another try tomorrow and if it works i will get on it, take it for a ride, empty the tank out and put fresh petrol in and i will also clean the dirt from inside the tank, but if it still wont have it, i will take a video of it and post on here for you guys. Thanks ALOT for the help. much appreciated :)

6. #16 Re: HELP I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE!!!!!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    one more thing, just to be absolutely sure, it is ok to ride with the choke up yes? wont blow up my bike or do any damage i am aware that it can foul the spark plug and such.

7. #17 Re: HELP I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE!!!!!!! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hmm, running/riding with the choke engaged shouldn't really be needed. If you do so for an extended period though you will foul the spark plug.

One thing I read OP, is your giving the throttle a little work out with the choke still engaged. I've never needed to do that, on any bike or car for that matter that had a choke. The only time I might need to use the throttle during use of the choke is when I have backed off the choke fully or too much prematurely. It really is difficult to diagnose anything over the www which is why I don't. Engine's, moving machinery just like humans and other animal species need to be seen directly to really appreciate all the subtleties it takes to make an assessment and get an impression about any issue.

I'd also add that if you are in the habit of starting an engine for only a minute or two then ignition off, then you might end up with certain parameters being met, that lead to a hard start condition.

Ignition on, full choke, press starter, let the engine idle for several minutes or until the engine RPMs increase on their own, then back the choke off a little, wait until the next natural RPM increase with choke still on (though a little less so), and ditto until the engine is fully warm and the choke is not needed. I'm not sure you need to touch the throttle during this warm up period.

If you inadvertently end up with the engine cutting out during this period, and there's a strong petrol odour lingering about, then it's likely you have a flooded carb. WOT (wide-open-throttle) is most likely what you need to use to attempt to get the engine restarted immediately afterwards, and you may not need to use the choke at this point. But, again, really hard to work that out without being there.

If all else fails, take the bike to back to a motorcycle mechanic for a diagnosis etc. Oh, and yes replace that split pipe/tube...

8. #18 Re: HELP I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE!!!!!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ok I will post an update once I've given it another go, battery died trying to start it so is on charge, thanks again for the help :)

9. #19 Re: HELP I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE!!!!!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Just gave it a try, sounded very promising until the choke was down about 3/4 it was sputtering and struggling the revs were climbing but then going back down and climbing until it died

10. #20 Re: HELP I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE!!!!!!! 
    C-Moto Guru
    Many years ago, we were struggling with a similar issue on a friends' bike and in the end it turned out to be a "loose" intake valve. After valve adjustment there were no more starting issues.

Btw, ambient temperature and moisture must have changed since the bike ran OK, so it could be poor carb settings, that are simply "amplified" now in the cold weather. When it runs (after it's warm enough and all), does it rev properly? Any sputtering or flats? Can you check spark plug colour?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast