Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Different engine choices in the CQR? Shineray vs. Zongshen vs. GTY vs. CBi500 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I'm located in Chengdu and there's a fairly large motorcycle market in the area. After scouring the bike market, taobao, and reading ThePopes thread, I've decided to go with a super-moto style bike. I often see a bike for sale listed as a CQR, and most often it has a Zongshen 250cc, air cooled, single, inside.

But i've run across the same CQR platform with a Shineray, "GTY" and CBi500 engines as well (and i've probably even missed a couple).

The zongshen seems to come in the cheapest at around $5500-7000 for a decent setup.

My question is about the difference in quality between these engines. I've heard (read) decent things about the zongshen. Is it worth the extra money to upgrade to a shineray or something else? Are there fairly significant differences in kw/hp?

If the zongshen is "good enough" without being drastically underpowered, ill probably stay cheap. I want to ride around the city at night and have general super-moto city fun! ..and maybe even some touring trips out of town. If the zongshen is unreliable, has problems or is really underpowered, i dont mind spending more for something like a Shineray. What do you guys think?

sorry for the frat!

2. #2 Re: Different engine choices in the CQR? Shineray vs. Zongshen vs. GTY vs. CBi500 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Oh..and for reference. Here's a shop in Chongqing that sells the same style bike with different engine setups...so you can see what Im talking about.

http://yueye023.taobao.com/search.ht...derType=_price

3. #3 Re: Different engine choices in the CQR? Shineray vs. Zongshen vs. GTY vs. CBi500 
    Those are all not street legal none of them have legitimate emission certificates.

These do and cost more….
    嘉陵 新翼侠

The manufacturer is Jialing they have a 223cc engine, which is the engine size your considering, commonly called a CB250.

If you copy and paste 嘉陵 新翼侠 in Taobao you will find some for sale.

It is also identified here on this website as a JH200GY-5A however it has the 223cc OHC engine.
    http://brand.newmotor.com.cn/jialing5/

Eventually they will crack down on all the illegal bikes being sold and owned as well. The companies making legitimate bikes will rule after that and the industry will be healthier for it.

Other thing to consider is that when the price is very low your going to get really bad build quality and you will be ridding on that.

4. #4 Re: Different engine choices in the CQR? Shineray vs. Zongshen vs. GTY vs. CBi500 
    Its a just scam and some of the bikes look very cool and may be decent, however if you get one its likely going to be registered as a 150cc, that is the only way as the 223cc cannot pass emission, its likely the 150 does not either but they may slip it through with a certificate for one?

I really like this one…but it is what it is.
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...&id=3508411807

5. #5 Re: Different engine choices in the CQR? Shineray vs. Zongshen vs. GTY vs. CBi500 
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=10267183332

I bought the following CQR last year. It has the Jialing 223cc.
    Off course the build quality is not up to a Honda XR standard, but I am quite happy with my CQR.
    Especially considering the price. Initially I was looking at a Galaxy XTR 250 for over 12,000RMB.
    But I ended up going with the ~6,500RMB CQR, and have no regrets in doing so.
    "The world is boundless, yet the heart controls all."!

As we say in Australia, Stay Upright!

6. #6 Re: Different engine choices in the CQR? Shineray vs. Zongshen vs. GTY vs. CBi500 
    Some things to consider. I don't regret having bought my cheap CQR. I have put over 10,000km on it in less than six months and it has served me well for the most part. However, after about three months, I quickly felt like I was ready to move up to something bigger and better. I learned some things about bikes and turning wrenches since I got this thing, but it has given me quite a few headaches. There have been months where I spend inordinate amounts of time on taobao ordering and replacing things that either broke or fell off. I have the Shineray 250 engine and have had zero problems with it. I think which engine you choose is of very little consequence because these things are really cheap and simple. They're basically the same. The one thing I can't stand about the engine I have in this bike (and I think you'll find the same in any engine of similar price) is how much the thing vibrates. I mean it really shakes. If you spend an hour or two wide open on or off road, you'll feel it inside and out. I don't know your riding style or if you just plan to cruise around town. If you plan to do a lot of pothole smashing and curb jumping and occasionally go off road, this bike will do alright, but it's not that great and comfortable to ride around town. I think the CBi500 engine you mentioned is 6 speed and balanced shaft. I would definitely make this upgrade if you are set on getting a CQR.

About overall quality. This bike is really cheap and really cheap quality. I really didn't have anything to compare this bike with when I first got it because I haven't ridden a dirt bike in nearly 20 years. So for a while I thought it was fine. After I drove my friend's Galaxy TGR, I quickly felt the suspension on the CQR is nearly useless. Instead of absorbing bumps it tends to spring you off of them. After I was jumping the bike pretty hard one day (in the video on the thread of mine) the front fork seals started leaking. I never tried to repair them. That was months and a few 1000kms ago. I've never noticed any difference in the damping even though most of the fluid has leaked out. What does that say?

I've replaced the exhaust twice. I've replaced all engine mounts at least once, some twice (even after using Loctite 243 thread-locker on them). I'm on my third set of passenger foot pegs and I don't carry passengers that often. I'm on my third clutch cable, which seems to go at roughly 4500km. I'm getting ready to buy the third rear master cylinder. I replaced a complete rack/license plate/rear light/signals mount that just fell off somewhere in the middle of a two hour journey at top speed. Remember to loctite EVERYTHING. The CQR is a mass of cheap parts made from poor quality steel, etc.

It has held up in some crashes though. Among minor things, I smacked a car at about 15-20km/h with no damage and a few days ago I spun out on a turn after driving over what appeared to be oil on the road at about 50-60km/hr. The only result was a broken starter button and mangled up hand guards (and seriously painful back and neck - I was wearing full gear so no road rash).

As I said, I don't regret buying it. It has been fun and a learning experience, but things will need to be replaced. I personally am really kind of tired of it and want something that just doesn't feel so "cheap". If you don't ride that hard and are just looking to cruise around town on decent paved roads, then you should have little problems. Make sure to upgrade and get the steel, silenced exahust. The cheap one is obnoxiously loud and offensive and if you happen to break a weld on it you'll be riding it home being even more obnoxiously loud and offensive because you can't re-weld the aluminum (that was me from Huizhou to Zengcheng one day - embarrassing).

I'm looking to buy either an X2, an X5 or a TGR/XTR something or combination thereof in the future. Trying to finish running this thing into the ground first. I'll post a video when I finally set it on fire and drive it off a cliff

7. #7 Re: Different engine choices in the CQR? Shineray vs. Zongshen vs. GTY vs. CBi500 
    I believe that the Jialing Wing Man has an internal balance shaft.
    Which should lesson the vibrations?
    I believe the engine is called a Cbi700.
    But they cost nearly twice as much?
    You would have to test ride one and give it a good going over, I imagine that Jialing tried to make a good copy of Honda CRF230?

I see the Jialing as very low cost at 2k USD and the others at 1k seem just too cheap.
    Honda sells their original for 5k and it’s a good bike for what it is, but certainly not going to hold anyone’s attention for long.
    http://www.newmotor.com.cn/html/cpht/30742.html
    Many are suspect of the Jialing and its price and wonder if it would be any better?
    Last edited by MJH; 12-13-2013 at 03:03 PM.

8. #8 Re: Different engine choices in the CQR? Shineray vs. Zongshen vs. GTY vs. CBi500 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for all of the replies guys..and for the awesome write-up by ThePope (i was hoping you would chime in!).

I guess I'm going to have to put on another pot of coffee and think it over a while. Although the bikes look the part, Im just not mechanically able to handle the CQR and the challenges it will present to me, it seems. Although a part of me wants to be optimistic and think of it as a great chance for a learning experience! hehe..yeah right.

It's a shame, because they look like so much damn fun. I'd love to mash around the city on one...until it gets confiscated by the police, that is :/

I think, instead, maybe I'll save my pennies for a while longer and get something in the 15k range. Maybe a used ybr/gw, or a cb400.

...the journey continues.

Thanks again, all.

9. #9 Re: Different engine choices in the CQR? Shineray vs. Zongshen vs. GTY vs. CBi500 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Its a just scam and some of the bikes look very cool and may be decent, however if you get one its likely going to be registered as a 150cc, that is the only way as the 223cc cannot pass emission, its likely the 150 does not either but they may slip it through with a certificate for one?

I really like this one…but it is what it is.
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...&id=3508411807

Can you explain the "passing emission" part a little further? Im not sure what this means. If the 250cc bike cannot be plated anyway, what is the purpose of passing emissions? Would there be a benefit to buying a 150cc CQR legally?

Sorry for all the newb questions... :)

10. #10 Re: Different engine choices in the CQR? Shineray vs. Zongshen vs. GTY vs. CBi500 
    Quote Originally Posted by effertime View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies guys..and for the awesome write-up by ThePope (i was hoping you would chime in!).

I guess I'm going to have to put on another pot of coffee and think it over a while. Although the bikes look the part, Im just not mechanically able to handle the CQR and the challenges it will present to me, it seems. Although a part of me wants to be optimistic and think of it as a great chance for a learning experience! hehe..yeah right.

It's a shame, because they look like so much damn fun. I'd love to mash around the city on one...until it gets confiscated by the police, that is :/

I think, instead, maybe I'll save my pennies for a while longer and get something in the 15k range. Maybe a used ybr/gw, or a cb400.

...the journey continues.

Thanks again, all.

Like I said, I don't regret getting the CQR. All you need are some basic tools and strip the thing down and loctite everything when you get it. Nothing wrong with it. My friend has one and he rides it everyday around town and it's staying in good shape. He does not abuse it like I abuse mine, however. Things will have to be replaced on any bike you buy. I learned some simple things that you should know how to deal with anyway. Again with the obvious - you get what you pay for. They're cheap and cheap quality, but so are replacement parts. Good luck!

ThePope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast