Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Navigating in chinese traffic? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello everyone

Im not sure if I got the question in the right section of the forum, if not please forgive me.

Im currently planning a trip to Yunnan region in China. Since I never been in China at all , im not sure what to expect.
    Could someone please give me some tips how to navigate in Chinese traffic? Do they have any traffic signs which can be read in other language than Chinese characters? Or is it best to use GPS device ?

Any advice is well appreciated!
    Thanks !

2. #2 Re: Navigating in chinese traffic? 
    You'll need GPS in China because many places are signed badly, pinyin (Latin script) isn't always used, some towns have two names and many roads are repaired without the use of handy 'diversion' signs.

About other riding questions see the 'sticky' threads in 'ride prep and making tracks'.

3. #3 Re: Navigating in chinese traffic? 
    You need a Chinese driving license as well if you are thinking about getting on the roads yourself.. If you are not on a long term visa here it can be almost impossible to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by nutter View Post
    Hello everyone

Im not sure if I got the question in the right section of the forum, if not please forgive me.

Im currently planning a trip to Yunnan region in China. Since I never been in China at all , im not sure what to expect.
    Could someone please give me some tips how to navigate in Chinese traffic? Do they have any traffic signs which can be read in other language than Chinese characters? Or is it best to use GPS device ?

Any advice is well appreciated!
    Thanks !

4. #4 Re: Navigating in chinese traffic? 
    GPS is a bit of a joke in most places here. New roads are completed so quickly you will struggle to keep your map up to date. My advice is to learn classical navigation. Learn to read a map, learn to estimate distances traveled and to navigate by sun position. You can depend on Google maps on your phone for basic directions, but forget about turn-by-turn directions.

Most larger city centers mark main roads in pinyin characters as well, which helps, but if you're like me, the names all sound the same and turn into soup in your head. Pick out landmarks and navigate based on them - rivers, big hotels, squares, etc. Plan in some time to get lost a bit, and enjoy the serendipity that occasionally ensues.

To live on the Chinese roads, understand that the Chinese are the most uneducated, selfish drivers on the planet. Expect everyone to do the most ignorant, unlikely and unsafe thing possible at every moment and you might be alright. I am not joking and I am not exaggerating. All political correctness aside, the roads here are a nightmare of selfishness, entitlement and plain ignorance. If you can avoid driving here as a new arrival, do so. I rode a bike for over a year before I went and got my drivers license, just to learn the patterns.

If you want to brave the stupid, understand that driving here is pretty similar to downhill skiing in the West. You are basically responsible for what is in front of you - no matter how quickly it got there, what direction it is heading or what you think the law in that particular situation might dictate. Nobody understands the use or function of a mirror or a turn signal. I am not talking about the law, which is basically irrelevant and useless to a foreigner, because you will ALWAYS be in the wrong. This is just a summary of the habits of local drivers. Expect them to turn without signalling, stop without warning, reverse in the middle of a highway and talk on the phone constantly. I have never seen a Chinese driver capable of safely operating a vehicle of any shape or size, period.

Good luck - I hope you live, but please be aware that the stress of driving here will quickly outweigh the enjoyment you get from experiencing a new culture.

5. #5 Re: Navigating in chinese traffic? 
    Hey, welcome to MCM.

Forget about traffic signs.

To navigate, once in China, just buy a China Unicom SIM card (Zhongguo Liandong), then use the google maps app on ur phone and u're good to go.

Find a shop where there are phones, show them ur SIM card and say Zhongguo liandong. They may ask for ur passport. If the card is too big cause u got micro SIM, then cut it with a carpet knife.

Don't buy China Telecom (Zhongguo Yidong) SIM card cause u can't call when u change city unless u call them and get that fixed in Chinese as they won't speak any English, morons.

If ur phone is locked for use with a specific subscription operator, then u need to unlock it before u come or Chinese SIM won't work, or buy a smartphone here when u arrive.

Make sure u have 2 or 3 extra recharge cards of 100 RMB like this one below during ur trip or u'll be out of google map and it will suck.

To buy it just show them this pic on ur phone.

ChinaUnicomRechargeCard.jpg

To recharge call 10011, wait that they speak english and follow the instructions, easy.

Google map probably won't work everywhere, also get a paper map and compass...

Get a portable battery to be able to recharge ur phone anywhere anytime.

Electric plugs are like this in China:

DSC_0900.jpg

Sometimes just the bottom triple one, sometimes just the top double without the circles, just 2 parallel bars.

Make sure u have the proper adapter.

Regarding insurance make sure it covers u regardless of what (as u'll probably drive without a license) in China for the whole period of ur stay, make sure u can call them anytime, that they can bring u back straight to ur country at no expense, also make sure u don't need it, don't drive too fast as some roads quality will be poor, there'll be dust and oil in corners and other drivers are just like in themicah's post above, wear full gear all the time.

Regarding Chinese driving license and other legal stuff, u'll be driving in Yunnan, probably not for too long, if some cop asks u to stop, don't look at him and just drive on like if u didn't see him. It don't make things worse here to try and escape the police, if caught u can say u didn't see him.

Full face helmet with dark visor will help u not be recognized as a foreigner.

If u're in an accident involving other people, get out of here ASAP if u can, regardless of what, or u'll be much more sorry.

If someone hits u, don't expect him to stop either, it's like that here.

U'll probably buy the bike here in China, so, just like every time u spend money here, remember that everyone will try to scam u all the time for as much $ as possible, as it is written on ur face that u don't know how things work here and that u got more $ than u need, be extra cautious, don't trust anyone ever. U may be afraid of looking dumb or offending if over cautious, take that feeling and put it in the trash and make sure u're the most paranoid and annoying buyer every time u buy something, the more expensive the more mega ultra paranoid u should be, as even that way they'll find ways to scam u, but it won't be as much then.

Still don't be afraid, it's safe, just be & ride smart, cautious & safe.

Yunnan is gonna be fantastic by bike.

Read the threads about people who rode Yunnan on this forum, check those pictures.

Enjoy ur trip.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

6. #6 Re: Navigating in chinese traffic? 
    I would go with the last guys post! i had internet on my phone... and honestly it did worlds of wonders for me.You'll be able to navigate and do a lot more with it... whether its looking up translations and directions to finding food.

7. #7 Re: Navigating in chinese traffic? 
    Mate.. you pretty much hit the nail on the head.. But GPS is a good tool for getting thru cities. I mostly use google maps and put it onto WALKING if I'm anywhere else. I was using maps here 18 years ago and frankly GPS is the best choice. A compass is good because then you know which direction you're going. They do these APPS for your phone. The best trick about riding here however is to completely avoid any major roads. I tend to try and work out the X designated roads as they tend to be good quality and meander through some beautiful scenery but then, that depends where you are.
    Asking for directions can help but most people will give you an answer whether they know or not. Google maps can pan right in and give you the tiny roads.. you can follow them to the end to see if they are connected to other roads.
    For me, I love to get to a junction and ask a local.. Not because I need to know.. but because you get into conversations with people that can lead to some great experiences. Don't forget... when we are riding around, we are ambassadors of the LAOWEI world. We have the choice to give them a nice or a not nice experience.

Quote Originally Posted by themicah View Post
    GPS is a bit of a joke in most places here. New roads are completed so quickly you will struggle to keep your map up to date. My advice is to learn classical navigation. Learn to read a map, learn to estimate distances traveled and to navigate by sun position. You can depend on Google maps on your phone for basic directions, but forget about turn-by-turn directions.

Most larger city centers mark main roads in pinyin characters as well, which helps, but if you're like me, the names all sound the same and turn into soup in your head. Pick out landmarks and navigate based on them - rivers, big hotels, squares, etc. Plan in some time to get lost a bit, and enjoy the serendipity that occasionally ensues.

To live on the Chinese roads, understand that the Chinese are the most uneducated, selfish drivers on the planet. Expect everyone to do the most ignorant, unlikely and unsafe thing possible at every moment and you might be alright. I am not joking and I am not exaggerating. All political correctness aside, the roads here are a nightmare of selfishness, entitlement and plain ignorance. If you can avoid driving here as a new arrival, do so. I rode a bike for over a year before I went and got my drivers license, just to learn the patterns.

If you want to brave the stupid, understand that driving here is pretty similar to downhill skiing in the West. You are basically responsible for what is in front of you - no matter how quickly it got there, what direction it is heading or what you think the law in that particular situation might dictate. Nobody understands the use or function of a mirror or a turn signal. I am not talking about the law, which is basically irrelevant and useless to a foreigner, because you will ALWAYS be in the wrong. This is just a summary of the habits of local drivers. Expect them to turn without signalling, stop without warning, reverse in the middle of a highway and talk on the phone constantly. I have never seen a Chinese driver capable of safely operating a vehicle of any shape or size, period.

Good luck - I hope you live, but please be aware that the stress of driving here will quickly outweigh the enjoyment you get from experiencing a new culture.

8. #8 Re: Navigating in chinese traffic? 
    Mate.. you have offered some good advice but really..
    If he doesn't have a Chinese driving license he cant ride the bike.. You are crazy to suggest he does this. If he hits someone and he has no license his insurance is null and void. If he leaves the scene of the accident they will find him and there will be big trouble.
    He could be facing a minimum 6 months imprisonment and be forced to pay compensation.
    I have heard that it is possible to get TOURIST driving licenses but again.. if he hasn't got a license he is really stupid to buy a bike and go riding.. especially with absolutely no experience of riding here.
    Very very very few people in China will try and scam your money from you. I dont' know where you get that idea from but hey.. I've only been here 18 years. But the advice on accidents and the police.. MATE.. that is so out of date now.. The police really do take this seriously.. There are more and more working traffic cameras and not only that.. if a mob gets together they could tear you to pieces..

Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    Hey, welcome to MCM.

Forget about traffic signs.

To navigate, once in China, just buy a China Unicom SIM card (Zhongguo Liandong), then use the google maps app on ur phone and u're good to go.

Find a shop where there are phones, show them ur SIM card and say Zhongguo liandong. They may ask for ur passport. If the card is too big cause u got micro SIM, then cut it with a carpet knife.

Don't buy China Telecom (Zhongguo Yidong) SIM card cause u can't call when u change city unless u call them and get that fixed in Chinese as they won't speak any English, morons.

If ur phone is locked for use with a specific subscription operator, then u need to unlock it before u come or Chinese SIM won't work, or buy a smartphone here when u arrive.

Make sure u have 2 or 3 extra recharge cards of 100 RMB like this one below during ur trip or u'll be out of google map and it will suck.

To buy it just show them this pic on ur phone.

ChinaUnicomRechargeCard.jpg

To recharge call 10011, wait that they speak english and follow the instructions, easy.

Google map probably won't work everywhere, also get a paper map and compass...

Get a portable battery to be able to recharge ur phone anywhere anytime.

Electric plugs are like this in China:

DSC_0900.jpg

Sometimes just the bottom triple one, sometimes just the top double without the circles, just 2 parallel bars.

Make sure u have the proper adapter.

Regarding insurance make sure it covers u regardless of what (as u'll probably drive without a license) in China for the whole period of ur stay, make sure u can call them anytime, that they can bring u back straight to ur country at no expense, also make sure u don't need it, don't drive too fast as some roads quality will be poor, there'll be dust and oil in corners and other drivers are just like in themicah's post above, wear full gear all the time.

Regarding Chinese driving license and other legal stuff, u'll be driving in Yunnan, probably not for too long, if some cop asks u to stop, don't look at him and just drive on like if u didn't see him. It don't make things worse here to try and escape the police, if caught u can say u didn't see him.

Full face helmet with dark visor will help u not be recognized as a foreigner.

If u're in an accident involving other people, get out of here ASAP if u can, regardless of what, or u'll be much more sorry.

If someone hits u, don't expect him to stop either, it's like that here.

U'll probably buy the bike here in China, so, just like every time u spend money here, remember that everyone will try to scam u all the time for as much $ as possible, as it is written on ur face that u don't know how things work here and that u got more $ than u need, be extra cautious, don't trust anyone ever. U may be afraid of looking dumb or offending if over cautious, take that feeling and put it in the trash and make sure u're the most paranoid and annoying buyer every time u buy something, the more expensive the more mega ultra paranoid u should be, as even that way they'll find ways to scam u, but it won't be as much then.

Still don't be afraid, it's safe, just be & ride smart, cautious & safe.

Yunnan is gonna be fantastic by bike.

Read the threads about people who rode Yunnan on this forum, check those pictures.

Enjoy ur trip.

9. #9 Re: Navigating in chinese traffic? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
    Mate.. you have offered some good advice but really..
    If he doesn't have a Chinese driving license he cant ride the bike.. You are crazy to suggest he does this. If he hits someone and he has no license his insurance is null and void. If he leaves the scene of the accident they will find him and there will be big trouble.
    He could be facing a minimum 6 months imprisonment and be forced to pay compensation.
    I have heard that it is possible to get TOURIST driving licenses but again.. if he hasn't got a license he is really stupid to buy a bike and go riding.. especially with absolutely no experience of riding here.
    Very very very few people in China will try and scam your money from you. I dont' know where you get that idea from but hey.. I've only been here 18 years. But the advice on accidents and the police.. MATE.. that is so out of date now.. The police really do take this seriously.. There are more and more working traffic cameras and not only that.. if a mob gets together they could tear you to pieces..
    Ok, man but in his case what can we say to him then?

Forget about riding Yunnan cause u won't have license? What percentage of local riders u see everyday u think have proper license insurance and plates? I'd say less than 10% riders of gas powered 2 wheelers here are legit. Now that's in SH, how about Yunnan?

Still, I regret what I said regarding accidents.

Please discard my previous advice regarding fleeing an accident scene as it is immoral, not even mentioning how it may end up.

Any local would flee, as any minor hit would have no consequence whatsoever (unless u're in the middle of a mob yea), now what u do in case of a major hit is up to u.

Just don't have any major hit in the 1st place.

Now regarding police, a policeman can lose his job and be sued should he follow u and cause u to crash, reason why they don't follow, as of today.

How do u explain 90% locals still driving non registered vehicles? They never encountered a cop these last years when police started to enforce rules more severely? I have all papers but still flee from cops when I see they're just too focused on me.

I'm on the wrong lane, wrong way and a cop starts whistling at me pointing fingers and all, I don't stop anymore, did it once, won't do it again. Never been followed.

I only stop if I'm 100% sure there's ZERO chance for him to bill me.

Now he's not gonna have a license, so what do u recon he should do should a cop point his finger at him in the middle of Yunnan? 18 years later China is still China and it's ok to do things u wouldn't do in homeland cause TIC, not homeland.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

10. #10 Re: Navigating in chinese traffic? 
    Check it out, that was last year, post number 5:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...traffic-police

"There has been only one chase that I have witnessed, which was a three wheeled motorbike taxi with enclosure, ridden by an elderly guy who didn't want to stop - he was chased the 20-30 metres or so by two young cops in a Santana police car (no lights or siren), who drove up beside the taxi (likely illegally operated or in an area disallowed) and then forced it into the curb. The two cops were smiling and laughing as they got of their patrol car. It was very Laurel and Hardy-ish."
    Georges Brassens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast