Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: My God !!!!!!

1. #1 My God !!!!!! 
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

2. #2 Re: My God !!!!!! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Yes, it's true, and covered extensively in MCM. This expat was riding an unlicensed bike, with no driver's license or insurance, ignoring traffic laws with seeming impunity, hit a woman in a crosswalk, then cursed her with the most brutal epithets in Chinese. Crowd initially sides with the expat, assuming the woman is scamming him. Surveillance cameras capture his brilliant exploits, including hitting the pedestrian. Turns out he and his father are both working illegally in China. So after serving a bit of jail time and paying fines and compensation, both were deported. Apart from the "human flesh search engine" excesses on the Chinese internet, I find this eminently reasonable. You?

euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: My God !!!!!! 
    In the US, our government seems to want to reward illegal aliens no matter what they do! This is quite mild...

4. #4 Re: My God !!!!!! 
    euphonius,

Thanks for confirming that this story is true and providing the link to the coverage. It does seem that this guy is a complete a**hole and has got what he deserves, I only hope that the Chinese as a whole don¡t think that all foreigners in China have the same ethics as this Pr**k.

Symon
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

5. #5 Re: My God !!!!!! 
    They were lucky.. Driving without a license should be a 6 month stay in prison here.. Also the compensation to the E biker is piffling.. Really lucky.. One of the Chiefs of police here a few years ago told me that he felt very insulted that foreigners do not take the laws of his country seriously. Think on that people..

Quote Originally Posted by Symon260z View Post

6. #6 Re: My God !!!!!! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    In the US, our government seems to want to reward illegal aliens no matter what they do! This is quite mild...
    Dear Culcune,

Are you sure about that? Especially there in your state -- if an undocumented person is caught driving without a license, or has an accident without license/insurance, surely they are fast-tracked for deportation like our friends here in Beijing, with a 10-year ban on re-entering the US. Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

I do think visitors, including the undocumented, should be allowed to get drivers licenses, since this and only this allows them to get insurance and drive legally. That's way better than refusing to let them drive, thus guaranteeing that when they hit you or me they are uninsured. I don't see that as a "reward" for being undocumented, but a way of reducing risks for law-abiding folks like you and me.

cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: My God !!!!!! 
    Are
    you sure about that? Especially there in your state -- if an undocumented person is caught driving without a license, or has an accident without license/insurance, surely they are fast-tracked for deportation like our friends here in Beijing, with a 10-year ban on re-entering the US. Or am I misunderstanding the situation?
    I have in the past known illegals who were caught drinking and driving and were released when their sentence was served, no deportation at all. That was in the state of Washington.
    LMMC/LAMF

8. #8 Re: My God !!!!!! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    In Canada, an "illegal" can spend years in the country, attending hearings, court, reviews, etc. Canada holds "illegals" in jail only if it can be shown that they are somehow a public security risk, and that is a tough burden for the state to overcome. During their "dispute", illegals cannot work - so they receive government assistance, such as allowances for housing, food, medical, etc. China is not the only country with bizarre policies.

Perhaps fast & furious "justice" has its merits.

9. #9 Re: My God !!!!!! 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
    One of the Chiefs of police here a few years ago told me that he felt very insulted that foreigners do not take the laws of his country seriously. Think on that people..
    Though I can understand the anger of the chief of police, it's the local Chinese setting the wrong examples! Whether positive or negative behaviour, plenty of people just follow the examples set by the locals. It's in human nature to think "if they can do that, so can I"! Think on that…
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

10. #10 Re: My God !!!!!! 
    Actually you will find the deportation thing is probably not the right course of action. Driving without a license is minimum 15 days in detention. If there is an accident and people are hurt it is minimum six months. There was a "European" guy here who did three months and then deported. And that was just for visa overstaying. The reason they deport is because they don't want the sort of trash that has no respect for their laws in this country. Though.. Im' not 100% sure but they have locked me up 5 times (last time drunken driving) and I'm still here.

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Culcune,

Are you sure about that? Especially there in your state -- if an undocumented person is caught driving without a license, or has an accident without license/insurance, surely they are fast-tracked for deportation like our friends here in Beijing, with a 10-year ban on re-entering the US. Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

I do think visitors, including the undocumented, should be allowed to get drivers licenses, since this and only this allows them to get insurance and drive legally. That's way better than refusing to let them drive, thus guaranteeing that when they hit you or me they are uninsured. I don't see that as a "reward" for being undocumented, but a way of reducing risks for law-abiding folks like you and me.

cheers
    euphonius