Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Benelli missing Beijing 
    好友的摩托车(Benelli 黄龙600)昨天在雍和宫附近被盗。如图所见,此车外观经改装后极具个性、辨识度高!请大家在路上帮忙留意 !车主是外籍,愿以万元奖金寻回爱车。请有线索或在路上看见此车的亲友们及时与我联系!186110705 17 喜洋洋 求扩散[抱拳]

Benelli stolen ..... if seen call the number above... reward offered upon return .....Jimi's bike.jpg
    LMMC/LAMF

2. #2 Re: Benelli missing Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Clay, any more pics? Is the headlight system changed? Transformer sticker below pillion seat?

3. #3 Re: Benelli missing Beijing 
    At the time of posting I had this one.., I will try and get more...notices have been place on Wexin and Weibo...dual headlights ....
    LMMC/LAMF

4. #4 Re: Benelli missing Beijing 
    LMMC/LAMF

5. #5 Re: Benelli missing Beijing 
    Thanks - those headlights are quite unique - although they've probably been swapped out by now. Nevertheless, eyes are open.

6. #6 Re: Benelli missing Beijing 
    thank you ..... and I am sure the guy who's bike this is really appreciate the support shown .... it has a B Beijing plate .....
    LMMC/LAMF

7. #7 Re: Benelli missing Beijing 
    We hear more and more of these sad stories, with CNY approaching I'm afraid it'll get way worse.

Do u happen to know how it was stolen?

Where was it parked, for how long, how was it secured and with what kind of alarm/locks?

8. #8 Re: Benelli missing Beijing 
    Double chained , one to a wall in a Hutong near Guilu...narrow streets so it appears they shattered the lock and carried the bike out of the narrow streets to a waiting van...been parking there for some time with no problems .....fairly populated area and close to inhabited dwellings.... not sure of any alarm...
    LMMC/LAMF

9. #9 Re: Benelli missing Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by hclayjones View Post
    Double chained , one to a wall in a Hutong near Guilu...narrow streets so it appears they shattered the lock and carried the bike out of the narrow streets to a waiting van...been parking there for some time with no problems .....fairly populated area and close to inhabited dwellings.... not sure of any alarm...
    Shit. Looks like pros. If they want it, they will get it. Worse, if it was pros, the bike likely already had a far-away destination planned.

A very long time ago, I did several years "time" in a maximum security prison (heh, heh ... as an employee). I was also a criminology student. Some researchers came through and surveyed >100 thieves doing time. Most of them were B&E artists - I remember one guy proudly admitted to several hundred B&Es over the years - but some were also big-time car thieves - and several were involved in organized gangs.

Anyways, they were asked about deterrents. The ONLY item which demonstrated more than a meager 20% deterrence was a big dog. A big dog acted as a major deterrent to a whopping two thirds of respondents.

They also asked about "best time of day." The majority said the middle of the day, when things are busy. Witnesses are too busy to get involved and most people think "nah, nobody would do it in the middle of the day, out in the open - they must have a legitimate reason for busting locks". Worst time was in the dead-quiet of night when people (and barking dogs) would hear, and arouse suspicion (after all, crooks work at night, right?).

So sorry about your friend.

I wish theft insurance for motorcycles was available in China.

10. #10 Re: Benelli missing Beijing 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by hclayjones View Post
    Very sorry about the loss. The fact that the bike was parked regularly in the same spot in a public alley means that the thieves had plenty of time to plan the theft -- watching the owner and neighbors come and go, seeing what defenses were used on the bike, and devising effective measures for defeating them.

Lessons for everyone in this case.

euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast