Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 49cc bikes and licenses 
    Visited one of my local bike shops this morning, they told me that a bike that is less than 50cc doesn't have to be plated and you don't need a license. Is this true ? If so I've just found a perfect bike for my girlfriend to ride.

Symon
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

2. #2 Re: 49cc bikes and licenses 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Not true.

Technically, any gas powered bike needs plates, and the rider needs a driving license. In most jurisdictions, there is a special plate for the <50cc class (mopeds). Usually, they are blue. Also, there is an "F" category of driving license for <50cc, but I have never heard of anyone actually possessing one. If you have an "E" or "D" classification, you can also ride <50cc bikes.

HOWEVER ... these "rules" all depend on your jurisdiction. In the smaller cities, it is likely that the police don't care. In places like Beijing, the police do care.

Finally, it also depends on whether you could use a 15 day break from your girlfriend ... if so, put her on the bike, wave down a cop, point out that she is riding illegally, and then hit the KTVs while she enjoys her free 15 day stay with the police.

3. #3 Re: 49cc bikes and licenses 
    Just put her on the seat in front of you and then go for a ride....
    LMMC/LAMF

4. #4 Re: 49cc bikes and licenses 
    LJH,

I am not planning to get away from my girlfriend at the moment but know I have a perfect plan if she starts to play up :-)

I think I need to go to the local Traffic Police and ask a few questions.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

5. #5 Re: 49cc bikes and licenses 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Symon260z View Post
    LJH,

I am not planning to get away from my girlfriend at the moment but know I have a perfect plan if she starts to play up :-)

I think I need to go to the local Traffic Police and ask a few questions.
    Don't expect any straight answers there either. Likely one orificer will tell you one thing that may or may not contradict what another orificer or other will tell you at the same or different counter at any given time.

Also different jurisdictions apply different rules. As an example, in Ningbo (Zhejiang province) no matter the size of the motorcycle/scooter engine (aside from electric - which also have restrictions in different jurisdictions), are either banned from the CBD (downtown) and one cannot obtain a plate, or else one obtains a plate from an outlying suburb/district (which is commonly done here) - in which case all engines >1cc get a regular yellow plate. If the motorcycle/scoot runs on gas (CNG) then a blue plate is provided, but these are not commonly seen here.

In Taizhou (also in Zhejiang province),motorcycles/scooters <149cc (from memory), are provided a white plate with black characters/alphanumerics, and the rider is not required to have a motorcycle licence.

In some locations one can also find light green plates - provided to bikes during amnesty periods (long ago), that had not been through the usual import/taxation/certification process.

Again comes back to trying to obtain the factual rules and regulations that apply in the specific circumstances and jurisdiction.

6. #6 Re: 49cc bikes and licenses 
    Bikerdoc,

Thanks for your comments.

I keep thinking how ridiculous this country is, it is so hard to find out what is the law therefore it is so hard to stay within the law. Or they make things so difficult so the vast majority find an illegal way round. Quite pathetic !

Symon

7. #7 Re: 49cc bikes and licenses 
    Quote Originally Posted by Symon260z View Post
    I keep thinking how ridiculous this country is, it is so hard to find out what is the law therefore it is so hard to stay within the law. Or they make things so difficult so the vast majority find an illegal way round. Quite pathetic !

Symon
    China:
    1. There are no rules
    2. There are countless rules to be followed
    3. 1. and 2. may be simultaneously applied
    4. Every village treats 3. differntly
    Andy