Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    [QUOTE=CrazyCarl;73028]As most of you probably already know, this bike is now being sold in the US through CSC in Califor

My two cents worth, I wish them well but California roads are huge and wide, freeways are usually 5lanes wide, thereby dwarfing even the largest SUV...also one usually has to drive a good distance to go off road... That's why most bikes are bigger Cc motors
    Also motorcycles and cars are cheaper than than anywhere in the world
    Everything in America is bigger because America is huge with few people and long distances between places.

I think they will do better in the nortwest or Colorado, if the locals aren't too busy getting high in Colorado...

2. #102 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey guys, another small problem on my RX-3

At about 8,000km my gear shifter all of a sudden stopped returning back to the center. I checked online and all of the information pointed to a broken shifter spring which was in fact the problem. My shop was pretty cool and let me do most of the work myself while using their tools, as I'm trying to get better at bike maintenance.

Getting to the spring was a pain in the ass, mostly because the way the bike frame covers part of engine cover. To get the cover off, 1 of the allen bolts was almost impossible to remove as its positioned directly behind the frame with maybe like an inch of room. One of the mechanics was saying that we need to pull out the whole motor! But luckily we finally barely just wedged an allen key between the bolt and the frame and used a lever to loosen it. The entire clutch assembly needed to be removed in order to wiggle the the engine cover past the frame. Also the rear brake and part of the exhaust needed to be removed.

Once we got to the spring the shop told me they dont have this spring and need to order it so my bike will be sitting at their shop all week. Pictures below:

IMG_8966.jpg
    IMG_8968.jpg
    IMG_8974.jpg
    IMG_8975.jpg
    IMG_8973.jpg

3. #103 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    [QUOTE=smr310;73121]Hey guys, another small problem on my RX-3

At about 8,000km my gear shifter all of a sudden stopped returning back to the center. I checked online and all of the information pointed to a broken shifter spring which was in fact the problem. My shop was pretty cool and let me do most of the work myself while using their tools, as I'm trying to get better at bike maintenance.

Oh...shit! had to do so much work because chinese manufactures use inferior items that cause big problems to save,,maybe 5 mao! you had to take exhaust off as well..... engine cover will need new gasket?? hopefully not leak in the future.....
    would you buy this bike again, let say if it was stolen? thanks for the input

4. #104 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    [QUOTE=kikikillercat;73122]
    Quote Originally Posted by smr310 View Post
    Hey guys, another small problem on my RX-3

Oh...shit! had to do so much work because chinese manufactures use inferior items that cause big problems to save,,maybe 5 mao! you had to take exhaust off as well..... engine cover will need new gasket?? hopefully not leak in the future.....
    would you buy this bike again, let say if it was stolen? thanks for the input
    Haha, yeah its pretty annoying, but I watched a youtube video of someone replacing the same thing on their KLR650 so I guess it does happen to japanese bikes as well. However, removing the engine cover on the KLR looked so easy and user friendly! What pissed me off more than the spring breaking was the fact that some of the cover bolts were positioned directly behind the frame. Its as if Zongshen didn't consider at all that at some point a human hand will need to remove this.

Honestly, I still do love the bike, and definitely don't regret buying it. However, 250cc is a little small (I want to be able to wheelie in 2nd gear!!), its not very suitable for offroad conditions, and mostly for those reasons I'm considering buying a Shineray X5. The RX3 is still my baby for now.

5. #105 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Honestly, I still do love the bike, and definitely don't regret buying it. However, 250cc is a little small (I want to be able to wheelie in 2nd gear!!), its not very suitable for offroad conditions, and mostly for those reasons I'm considering buying a Shineray X5. The RX3 is still my baby for now.[/QUOTE]

how do you mean not suitable for off road conditions??? thanks

6. #106 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by kikikillercat View Post
    Honestly, I still do love the bike, and definitely don't regret buying it. However, 250cc is a little small (I want to be able to wheelie in 2nd gear!!), its not very suitable for offroad conditions, and mostly for those reasons I'm considering buying a Shineray X5. The RX3 is still my baby for now.

how do you mean not suitable for off road conditions??? thanks[/QUOTE]

I mean that the RX3 seems to be more designed for the road, while the X5's design seems closer to a proper dirtbike, or at least more off road then the RX3.

7. #107 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Quote Originally Posted by smr310 View Post
    how do you mean not suitable for off road conditions??? thanks
    I mean that the RX3 seems to be more designed for the road, while the X5's design seems closer to a proper dirtbike, or at least more off road then the RX3.[/QUOTE]

JUST some infor... i had visited the factory just prior to the x5 revision a year and a half ago..and wasnt impressed with the factory and lost interest in buying the bike. i have been to 4 factories in china... CFMoto was the best.....

8. #108 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Hi SMR310
    Hope you ordered 2 springs just incase !
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #109 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Hi SMR310
    Hope you ordered 2 springs just incase !

also: may be a good idea to 'quench' the steel before use to assure strength!

10. #110 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Senior
    Japanese bikes have their weaknesses. What you may have seen about the Kawasaki is the infamoius "doohickey", which is the balancer tensioner. Kawasaki, in their original design of this, really cheapened out. The tensioner bracket was made of really thin metal, and very often broke, when the owner made the tensioner adjustment. It would break when the owner tightned the lock nut. in 2008 they redesigned the bracket, and it is much beefier now. But, the tensioner spring is still a pos. And you have to go in and remove a lot of parts to replace a .02 cent spring. Or there is a kit by Eagle Mike that uses a torsion spring, much like the spring on your bike you just replace.

Then there is the Suzuki S40 cam chain tensioner design. Then there was my 2001 Kawasaki KLR250. A small piece of silicone sealant they used on engine assembly broke off at 1400 miles and plugged the oil supply to the top end, and my engine "blew up". That was fixed under warranty.

Don't let people tell you that the Japanese makers are perfect. They are not. There are other bad design decisions. The plastic oil pump drive gear on the early Kawasaki Vulcans (hmm..I wonder why that might be a bad idea??). Etc.

Your Zong broken spring may be a weakness, or it may be an isolated incident. Time wull tell as more of these bikes hit the streets.
    Last edited by birdmove; 12-07-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast