Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1. #71 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    So Im just about one week in and am taking a day break in Xi'an. The RX3 survived a pretty heavy rain storm around Wuhan unscathed while my iphone in its "waterproof" case didn't fare so well.

It turns out that The Sound didn't go away after replacing those missing bolts... I'm not really sure how i missed it before. It has gotten a bit worse. I'll have it checked out again tomorrow but for now I've just been listening to music. That seems to help.

I should summarize it again. Its a metal on metal rattling sound. Its NOT constant only happening in certain situations. It gets more intense when the engine is under greater pressure for example riding up hill or accelerating on the low end of a gear's range. It goes away when I reach a speed, any speed, and let off the throttle a bit or when I go above either 6000RMPs or about 80kmh. I think i would still be able to hear it so i'm pretty sure it does go away at that speed. It's hardly noticeable in 1st gear but gets progressively worse up to 3rd then I don't notice it once in 5th or 6th.

The dealer said he "replaced the engine." later I asked if he replaced the WHOLE engine including the gear box and he said yes which should rule out a problem in the gear box but, I don't know, he could have been lying. The sound existed both before and after the engine replacement.
    Will the Zongshen RX3 survive??http://kelleyssilkroad.blogspot.com/

2. #72 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Im at the end of China near the Khorgas border with Kazakhstan with about 13000km total on the bike. So far on the trip I have no actual major issues to report. The chain is shot and my replacement is too short, some more bolts have fallen out and a pretty lengthily period of rain caused some water damage in the ignition switch but that was easily fixed.

I decided today to test my tank range. I had expected to get maybe 300km out of it, my previous record was 292 but I ended the day with 413km on the trip meter. I ran out of time in the day before I ran out of gas. I'm going to do this again just in case I forgot to reset the trip meter last time.

I took the bike to about 3000m above sea level for a few days and there was a noticeable drop in power from a top speed (loaded) of 120kmh at about 1000m to 80-90kmh. I often found the engine couldn't handle 6th gear at that altitude.

So far so good. Once I replace the chain I should be in good shape.

3. #73 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Quote Originally Posted by gjackson4431 View Post
    Im at the end of China near the Khorgas border with Kazakhstan with about 13000km total on the bike. So far on the trip I have no actual major issues to report. The chain is shot and my replacement is too short, some more bolts have fallen out and a pretty lengthily period of rain caused some water damage in the ignition switch but that was easily fixed.

I decided today to test my tank range. I had expected to get maybe 300km out of it, my previous record was 292 but I ended the day with 413km on the trip meter. I ran out of time in the day before I ran out of gas. I'm going to do this again just in case I forgot to reset the trip meter last time.

I took the bike to about 3000m above sea level for a few days and there was a noticeable drop in power from a top speed (loaded) of 120kmh at about 1000m to 80-90kmh. I often found the engine couldn't handle 6th gear at that altitude.

So far so good. Once I replace the chain I should be in good shape.
    Very well done to have got so far !! Sorry can't advise on the noise from
    the engine , but after replacing 2 chains on my Chinese made Yamaha
    after only 12.000 km and using OE Chinese made chains, it was time
    to re-think so I purchased a DID chain must say what a good chain D.I.D
    are, so if you can obtain one then i recommend D.I.D

image.jpg
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #74 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    i agree. Get a DID chain.
    I had very good sustainable result on my X5. One time install adjustment and one time a slight readjustment after 300km .... and then nothing but maintenance for the next 8000km until i sold the bike.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

5. #75 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Great job so far and I'm looking forward to future updates. My Zongshen also has a pretty bad sound recently. It sort of sounds like something is trickling through the motor. Usually happens for 2 or 3 seconds at times when I am accelerating. You mentioned the sound of metal on metal. One time I also had this sound, and it was just that one of the frame protector / slider bolts was a little lose - maybe try checking that.

6. #76 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    I'm glad someone else has mentioned this. That pretty well describes how my sound started out. You might think there were little pieces of metal spinning around in the engine somewhere. For me, eventually under greater load the sound got louder, slower and more distressing like larger pieces of metal rattling around.

Over the past 8000 or so km my bike has made lots of different strange rattling sounds but this one has remained and become a bit worse. I'll mention how i solved the others in a bit but my theory about this persistent sound is that its the cam chain tensioner. So my sound (a) only happens under load, (b) occasionally goes away randomly and usually is inaudible for the first hundred KM after an oil change, (c) started off only happening in a narrow RPM range, about 5000-5500, in the middle gears, but now it happens in all gears above 3rd regardless of the RPMs. if you do a google search for cam chain tensioner noise, you'll find other people describing similar things.

Anyway, thats my theory. I'm not really in a position to do anything about it at the moment. I'm pretty sure the tensioner is automatic / non-adjustable. I suppose I'll replace it with an adjustable one when I get a chance.

The motorcycle now has about 15000km on it. I've replaced both tires which were mostly worn. I replaced the chain so this is now my third chain. The first was replaced by my dealership and probably wasn't necessary. The only somewhat major issue I've had so far besides the possible cam chain issue, is the rear wheel bearings which broke shortly after leaving China. I replaced them with Chinese bearings which broke after about 5km. While changing these I found that it is incredibly difficult to remove the bearing on the side of the chain if it doesn't come out in one piece. The other day I adjusted a couple of spokes. Besides these things the only other issue worth mentioning is the generally poor water proofing discussed earlier.

7. #77 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    I'm glad someone else has mentioned this. That pretty well describes how my sound started out. You might think there were little pieces of metal spinning around in the engine somewhere. For me, eventually under greater load the sound got louder, slower and more distressing like larger pieces of metal rattling around.

Over the past 8000 or so km my bike has made lots of different strange rattling sounds but this one has remained and become a bit worse. I'll mention how i solved the others in a bit but my theory about this persistent sound is that its the cam chain tensioner. So my sound (a) only happens under load, (b) occasionally goes away randomly and usually is inaudible for the first hundred KM after an oil change, (c) started off only happening in a narrow RPM range, about 5000-5500, in the middle gears, but now it happens in all gears above 3rd regardless of the RPMs. if you do a google search for cam chain tensioner noise, you'll find other people describing similar things.

Anyway, thats my theory. I'm not really in a position to do anything about it at the moment. I'm pretty sure the tensioner is automatic / non-adjustable. I suppose I'll replace it with an adjustable one when I get a chance.

The motorcycle now has about 15000km on it. I've replaced both tires which were mostly worn. I replaced the chain so this is now my third chain. The first was replaced by my dealership and probably wasn't necessary. The only somewhat major issue I've had so far besides the possible cam chain issue, is the rear wheel bearings which broke shortly after leaving China. I replaced them with Chinese bearings which broke after about 5km. While changing these I found that it is incredibly difficult to remove the bearing on the side of the chain if it doesn't come out in one piece. The other day I adjusted a couple of spokes. Besides these things the only other issue worth mentioning is the generally poor water proofing discussed earlier.

Just like to mentio your problems with
    Your RX3 with regards to the bearing
    And chain !! My Yamaha YBR [ made in china]
    Needed 2 new chains and a full set front
    and back bearing only after 5000 km !
    and this is a Yamaha bike !!
    Fitted a D.I.D. chain and changed all the
    bearing to NSK fully sealed ones !!
    Now after nearly 20000 km all the new parts are spot on !
    It don't matter if the bike is a RX3 or a
    Yamaha some of the bits which are made
    in China are basically SHIT . Need to find
    The weak links in your bike and change
    them to None Chinese made parts
    then you should have a good bike
    as much as it can be for a bike made
    here
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #78 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my bike is also an RX3, haha. I'll go to the dealer this weekend and see if they can identify the sound and then let you know. Also, I wanted to ask you, did you replace the tires with the stock RX3 tires? I am also planning a long distance trip next year, and I was thinking about getting tires more suitable for offroad. I don't think the RX3 tires are too good off road. What are your thoughts?

9. #79 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Yeah, I know full well about chinese products by now. Let me think... At this point, the only major piece of equipment i have that was bought in China that hasn't broken in an unusual way is the motorcycle: "waterproof" phone case- not waterproof and some screws are now rusted into place and stripped, tank bag must now be tied to the tank as the zipper is useless, yellow waterproof seat bag- one strap broken and one handle has been ripped from its mounting (it is waterproof at least), and usb charger is now rusted and hardly works, only the cigaret lighter section still functions.

I now have japanese bearings and that nice shiny gold plated DID chain. Turns out I CAN count and the chain I brought IS the right size...

smr310, Let me know what your dealer says. Maybe mention a possible problem with the cam chain or cam chain tensioner. As for tires, I replaced them with tires that are about the same as stock. I spent a long time searching taobao for good intermediate tires but I couldn't find a good set.

I didn't have any real experience off road before I left and thus far on this trip because im alone and lack experience I've stuck to the main roads. I did go through some pretty rough construction areas and had a nice fall on a section of about 5 inches of some incredibly fine dust. I also got stuck in some deep mud. I don't know how much off road tires would have helped in those situations but the stock are generally good for what Im doing. 80 percent road, 20 percent easy off road or sections of very bad road. I'll let you know if anything changes after I finish the road to aktau.

10. #80 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    So I went to the dealer today, and it turned out the the sound was actually my loose chain. Yesterday, I identified the noise at the 5,000 - 6,000 rpm range in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear. We tightened the chain today and the sound went away. I think maybe it is also time for me to buy a DID chain.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast