Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1. #91 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    I got the japanese bearings in Kyrgyzstan. I'm sure there are plenty of non-chinese bearings on taobao. I didn't lengthen the axel tube myself. I think the guy just welded a bit of metal to the end of it.

The motorcycle is now in Istanbul and on the last day of my trip a new problem emerged. At the moment I'm unable to start the bike with the electric starter after it's been sitting around for a while. Push starting works fine and after it's been running for a while it will start again without issue.

My theory is that there is some problem with the battery. While replacing the wheel bearings once, I lost a lot of some mysterious odorless fluid which I now think was battery fluid. I don't have the money at the moment to test my theory but once i do i'll let you know the results.
    Will the Zongshen RX3 survive??http://kelleyssilkroad.blogspot.com/

2. #92 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Thanks for posting the update. Are you in Istanbul with the motorcycle, or elsewhere? If you are in Istanbul, will you please post a photograph of the left side of the rear wheel? I am wondering if you have the original rear wheel, or the updated rear wheel with a cush (cushion) hub?

If you aren't in Istanbul, please examine the photographs below. Does your rear sprocket look like the sprocket of the orange motorcycle, or does it resemble the sprocket of the red motorcycle?

3. #93 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Sorry for the late reply to this. I've learned from another RX3 owner that there is an upgraded version of the rear tire. I got the bike pretty soon after it was released so I probably have the old wheel style. I can't see the 2nd picture but "cushion hub" does not at all seem to describe the inside of my rear wheel. There is only a lose metal tube which holds apart the bearings and which the axel passes through. Nothing that could be described as a cushion.. Does anyone know how I might get that free upgraded rear wheel here in Istanbul?

The starting problem continues. The other RX3 owner i spoke with mentioned that he had a similar problem which was solved by replacing the starter. At the moment, I have to push start it. The engine turns over when I try to start it normally but nothing happens. For the first 5 or 10 minutes of riding I also have to rev the engine when stopped to keep it from shutting off. Once I get to the point where I can let it rest in neutral without reving and then shut the engine off, I am able to restart it with the electric starter if i dont wait too long.

4. #94 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    The cushion hub has a sprocket assembly similar to the one shown in the link below.

http://www.taobao.com/view_image.php...ate=20352&fv=9

This sprocket assembly fits into the rear hub with a rubber cushion which separates it from directly contacting the rear hub. The rubber cushion softens the impact of the drive chain on the sprockets, the wheel bearings, and the entire drive chain.

C-Moto Guru
    Gjackson i do not know if rx3 is with carb or injection. For me it seams as a problem of Choke or Spark plug. Warm engine starts without problem, cold will not start. If it was the starter it will be a problem to start it by warm and cold.

As i wrote i do not know this particular model but technically it seams not a starter problem.
    With starter i mean the electroengine which roll the engine.

6. #96 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    sounds to me like your battery is nearly dead , when turning over the engine on the starter not enough voltage to run the ignition and when it starts a lot of current trying to charge the battery so the bike cant run at idle. New battery should sort it out.

7. #97 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    sounds to me like your battery is nearly dead , when turning over the engine on the starter not enough voltage to run the ignition and when it starts a lot of current trying to charge the battery so the bike cant run at idle. New battery should sort it out.
    This is easy to check, try to start the bike with Car battery with cables.

8. #98 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Yup. I thought this this starting problem was caused either by my battery or the spark plug. Both have evidence: I lost some mysterious odorless fluid at one point during my trip which could have been battery fluid. At the time, the rear brake fluid was also low though. And later I electrocuted myself when I touched the spark plug. I didn't have any fresh plugs at the time so I had to replace it with another old one. I'm essentially broke so I haven't been able to test either theory yet but I'll let you know when I get around to it.

About the battery though.. If it were low on fluid, or in need of replacement, wouldn't all the electronics suffer? At the moment I'm able to use turn on the lights and the ignition and they don't seem to be suffering. The engine also sounds normal when I try to start it.

I mentioned the starter motor because someone else with the same bike had what seems like a similar problem and that fixed it. I'm not sure however if he was able to turn over the engine or not.

The bike has a fuel injection system by the way.

9. #99 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Noob
    What's up with our intrepid RX3 rider? I've been following this thread and your Silk Road thread and they kind of ended without any resolution.
    Did you and the bike make it to the destination? How did you both hold up? Do you still like the RX3?

The pics in the Silk Road thread are great. I'd love to see some shots of you and the bike in Turkey!

10. #100 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    As most of you probably already know, this bike is now being sold in the US through CSC in California.

ADVMoto has ridden the RX-3 Cyclone distributed by CSC in the US. Not sure if the specs are identical and it still looks like some kinks are being ironed out, but lots of people are hoping this takes off. For more info, check this thread or image below.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-Test-and-Info

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast