Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Interesting! What made you change your mind about the X5? Price? Reliability? So is that the bike you're going to ride out to Turkey later on this year?

Could you post more pictures please? Back, front, sides etc. I'd especially like to see the outside/inside of the panniers. The side panniers seem kind of narrow at first glance (as in laptop-sized), but from other angles they seem pretty decent. What is the build quality on those? Are they aftermarket or did they come with the bike? Judging from stock pictures I'm guessing they come with it? Pretty neat. I ride a Shineray 200-GY7 and love it. So much so, that I'm considering importing an X5 or another China bike to Cambodia.

The extra power and torque of a 400 would be really nice, but the price tag of the X5 is a bit steep for me. Difficult to justify spending 4000$ on a bike (+shipping, + RIDICULOUS import taxes once it get here). No clue what shipping would cost, but probably looking at +6000$ all in... I could buy a used XR400 for 3-4k, so not sure it's worth it (although I love the look of the X5, the price seems a tad off). But I've had a really good experience with my Shineray. The engine is pretty much bullet-proof, although cosmetics go easily (most of what was going to break broke before I bought it). I'm ordering parts via taobaofocus right now. New tank (my old one's threads just broke off a week ago... They're made of once piece of plastic so it's a shame. My mechanic here could shave off what's remaining of the threads and make a new metal "plug" for it for around 10-20$ (no screw top, just a plug with a new metal "ring" inside the opening). But a new tank costs around 50$ so I figure I might as well splurge (getting new rear shocks as well, side panels, front mud guard, air filters etc). Can't seem to find an oil filter though...

Anyways, I digress. Is this your bike for the big trip? I like the fact that many Chinese bikes now come with panniers and big racks. You wouldn't be going fast on a 200, and they aren't the most comfortable bikes around for long-distance given their light weight, but a simple carb 200cc engine is pretty reliable. Given that yours is brand new, I'm guessing it's pretty comfy though. I figure importing one of these would cost me 4-5k,.. Not exactly cheap (new Honda CFR 250s are around the same price in Thailand), but it seems well-suited for long distance. I'm also tall (6'5") so I'm happy to hear it's ok for tall riders. That's a reason I stick to dirt bikes or dual-sport. Everything else is just too damn small!

2. #32 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Oh, and are you sure about your mileage? Seems damn low, even for a 200cc (I do around 30km/l on the highway).

3. #33 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Yup this is the bike for the big trip to Turkey. I had a tough time deciding between this and the X5. I would say reliability was probably the deciding factor. Zongshen has a good reputation for quality and I was getting a bit worried about all the structural problems discussed in the X5 review thread. I also figured that as I don't have any time constraints and plan to do a bit of site seeing along the way the extra speed i'd get from a 400cc engine wasn't entirely necessary. The roads i plan on taking are not really rough enough to warrant a bike that tended towards off roading and weight isn't at all an issue as i plan to take very little and I don't really weigh anything. The price was another big factor. I thought, and still think, that I got way more value for my money with this bike.
    From what I can see so far, I think i've made a good choice. I've taken passengers that weigh far more than my luggage will and there is no real issue, the speed is sufficient (without feeling like i going to break something i can cruise at about 100kmh) and it is incredibly comfortable. My longest ride so far was 7 hours straight and, well, I have no complaints. I think the X5 seat is a bit narrow. Mechanically and structurally I can't find any issues. it sort of makes this report a bit sparse but its given me nothing to complain about.

As for the mileage, I forgot what i said before. I write down how many kilometers i travel between every refueling and how much i put in and for the last three fills I've got 2.8L/100km, 3.08L/100km and 3.2L/100km. I was with my heavy friend for most of the time between the last two fills. Generally I ride on back roads or short highway stretches and don't cruise faster than 80kmh.

The panniers are alright. I'll get some pictures of them and everything else up soon and what i'll tell you will be a bit clearer. They're smaller than those hard silver ones people often get. Heh this might be a good indicator, I recently fit 10 rolls of toilet paper into the larger side pannier. As for depth, with the rolls in there was another inch and a half or so left. Both are indented, the larger one only slightly and the one on the side of the exhaust quite a bit. I found though that the heavily indented portion of the smaller pannier is perfectly suited for a 20oz MSR fuel bottle. There is also the top box which is probably the most useful. They're big enough for me but definitely designed for shorter trips than I intend.

Pictures will come. They weather just sucks these days and I've been lazy.

4. #34 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Cool. Yeah those little 200-250s are rugged as hell. Well, you can get lemons, but mine is bullet-proof. While some stuff may fall off, but the engine just keeps chugging along. And I know what you mean. I cruise around 70-95km/, which is plenty in most countries. No big hurry anyways. I've also had passengers and the big is quite responsive even with a passenger and luggage for two (though admittedly, I also pack light. Maximum 10-15 day trips). When are you starting your trip? How many KM do you now have on the bike?

I

5. #35 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    That's good that you finally got to compare them in person, or at least size them out. What were they charging for the bikes? I am not in China, but am curious...
    I didn't ask about the X5 because I'm not buying that bike, but the RX3 is a standard 20800 anywhere, no more or less... To get it legal they quoted me 24800 in Foshan.

6. #36 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    A couple of random pictures of crashed RX3.

Rx.jpgRX1.jpg

7. #37 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    I have had my first major issue with this bike. Im not exactly sure what is causing the problem and though the shop i go to has some idea they haven't been able to fix it entirely. A few days ago after washing the bike it began to idle way too high. Generally it idles at 1500rpm but now cold it starts at about 3 or 4k and after riding to the shop it wouldn't go below 5000. The power of the engine is generally reduced and it occasionally jumps or briefly loses power when accelerating and sometimes when driving at a steady speed. I also have trouble starting it after the engine heats up.

The shop thinks something was flooded when they washed it. I have trouble communicating with them but im assuming it was the carb. They unplugged and cleaned a bunch of electrical connections on the carb and that helped a bit but didn't completely solve the problem.

Another issue that might be related is lately i've been hearing a rattling sound, sort of like loose change, coming from the engine especially when in the middle gears. It has gotten worse lately.

Im going to take it back to the shop sometime in the next few days. We'll see how it goes. HOpefully its nothing too serious.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hmmm, sounds stupid but don't fuel injection bikes also have idle screws/knobs on their carbs? I know my idle needs a small adjustment now and then (after a washing for example, or once someone clearly toyed with my idle screw while it was parked). I'm sure the shop would have spotted that though.

9. #39 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    maybe mechanical problem inside the carburetor?
    Or throttle cable not oiled well? It can be a fuel supply problem only. The bike definitely gets too much of it.
    In my opinion it cant be the choke system because then the engine would die because of too less air and the spark plug will be wet.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

10. #40 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    The RX3 is EFI, right? No carb. It has a fuel injector, managed by your ECU, and a throttle body with a butterfly valve for your air delivery, also controlled by your ECU.

Did the shop wash your bike with a power washer? Those things are deadly for motorcycles, but Chinese shops seem to love them. The 2,000(+) psi can easily break air/fuel seals, as well as get into all sorts of electrical nooks & crannies, short out sensors, "confuse" the ECU, etc.

Your bike should still be under warranty, right? Unfortunately, it wlil be a Chinese warranty, hopefully honored by Chinese shops.

Good luck! Keep us posted. Lots of interest in that bike among the Beijing riders I know.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 04-14-2014 at 03:16 AM. Reason: remove auto-wrap

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast