Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Can anyone recommend a decent quality full face helmet that doesn't cost a fortune?

I'm looking for a cost effective helmet for riding that isn't just a plastic bucket. I'm talking a helmet that has a replaceable visor, and would be safe enough to save me at high speeds such as would be seen at the track. I'm sure there are decent enough helmets being produced somewhere in China that would be at least close to U.S. DOT standards?

2. #2 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    There are a couple of threads in MCM about helmets, and where to buy them in Shanghai.

I'm a fan of the HJC IS-MAX, a modular helmet that is under $100.

Start with Flip Front Helmets You'll see these are available widely in Shanghai, with a large selection at Chemichen.
    Then there's Bike Gear in Shanghai and leather, textile, mesh --a sobering report

Apart from the HJC's, you'll find Nolans and Cabergs and many others.

By the way, search and advanced search in MCM are not very good. I often start with a google search that includes what I'm looking for and adds the search term mychinamoto. Give it a try. There's a ton of excellent info in MCM just waiting to be discovered.

cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Not related to helmets but a hint for your google search: Adding "site:mychinamoto.com" (or any other domain) to your google search limits the results to this page.

4. #4 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    'Tanked' helmets are OK. They aren't DOT rated, but that's probably just because they haven't been rated. Reasonably light, very available not too noisy. Just make sure you blackmail the seller for at least three spare visors, usually 20-30 yuan each. Don't buy online because of the fitment issues. I'd much rather have a cheaper helmet that fitted well than a more expensive one that didn't.

Other than that buy something higher end, but then you have to spend lots of money on hard to find expensive visors, which won't be available unless pre-ordered. These days you can buy an exotic Arai helmet for a very reasonable price, because they know they'll gouge you on visors later. Printer and game consoles business model.

5. #5 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    I have bought a couple of these LS2 helmets for about 300RMB for me and my wife that have the flip down sunglasses inside. A tad heavy, but very comfy inside. I also like how it dampens the noise of those blaring truck horns at times. There are some sellers selling them even cheaper. I think it is DOT certified?
    http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm...d55e27b&pm_id=

Replacement visors 40RMB
    http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm...d55e27b&pm_id=

It seems to have worked well for me, although my only real test so far has been slamming my head into the asphalt and sliding on my face at about 60km/h - not exactly racetrack speeds. If you're planning on racing then I wouldn't skimp on a helmet. Also what ZMC said about sizing is also true. You could get away with ordering and then returning a helmet you buy from Taobao until you find the right size I guess. A bit of a hassle but...

6. #6 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    I think the Chinese head shape being wider more than longer, there is a real need to try before you buy. In most shops I found that all 90% of the helmets were large or XL. Pleading was needed to source small and medium sizes, with near commitment to buy. There is an advantage though as you can add your extra bonus visor order at that time. So it may be a case of trying on many helmets that are too big and then buying one on order from the shop or online the next size smaller and hoping it fits well.