Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by whitworthsocket View Post
    Has any one used this LS2 Helmet

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-L...340798475.html

I found it also at this link http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm...aId=&q=ls2+455

I looks like it has adjustable air pump bags that you can use to get a custom fit?

I never liked the idea of a peak. I thought that it would add noise and drag. Three of my mates have the Zues

http://www.offroadexplorer.com/Produ...us_Review.html Which I can t find on the Zues website

They all rave about them as being quiet helmets and the visor is brilliant when riding into the sun. They all use them for both road and offroad.

The Zues reatail in Australia for close to AUD $300.
    I figured the LS2 might be worth a try?
    Regards
    these LS2s have ECE 22.05 certification. They seem like a good value for money but i found some info that the weight is 1900g.... really bloody heavy
    I think these are worth a try and are DOT certified

2. #12 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    In a high speed crash, above 40mph.... a modular helmet will not hold up as well... However, most of the time it is barely needed.

3. #13 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    C-Moto Guru
    I have a modular LS2 and the HJC IS-Max (without BT compartment). The HJC is way better than the LS2, opening visor/front on HJC works much smoother, sun visor on LS2 can easily come down a bit by accident for example (impossible on HJC). Price of HJC is only slightly higher.

As for price vs quality: for example you can get the HJC IS-Max for about 600 RMB now, I came across it in Europe last time I went home for € 189 (about 1600 RMB). Prices obviously don't always tell everything about quality when it comes to motorcycle gear/equipment, and are often based on location.

As for safety I guess any approved helmet should be good enough. In my optinion most important are 1. comfort and 2. price! You can buy the most expensive high tech helmet because some motorcycle guru reviewed it as the best helmet he ever wore, but if it feels uncomfortable on your head then that is a distraction and you can forget about all the other details that make it a good helmet. I say: "go for comfort!"
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

4. #14 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    So i dropped my HJC is-max helmet for the 3rd time (I know, Im an idiot) and the part thet you can flip slightly changed shape and now its bit windy inside. Well, normally it wouldnt be a problem but the stream of air goes directly into my left eye causing it to dry! F***ing annoying and makes it really uncomfortable to ride. So Im looking for a new helmet.

The HJC has been really good but bit noisy and windy. I found this Marushin helmet which looks interesting. Anyone had any experience with it? also do you think its genuine? Tmall supposed to be more reliable then taobao but TIC. Its cheap too. Found it in Europe for RMB1500

5. #15 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    [...] Once you've used a modular you'll never want to go back to a standard helmet. [...] euphonius
    Actually seeing how much lighter and quieter a proper full face is, the comfort of being able to talk eat drink isn't worth the extra weight of the modular system.

My modular was Caberg Justissimo GT, maybe it's that model that's just heavy though... Wouldn't recommend those. And it was over 1000 RMB. A friend threw it to me but threw it short, the thing hit the ground bad. I actually was happy to go and shop for a regular full face after this.

- - -

Now regarding OP's post, don't u buy a Chinese helmet.

I don't get how saving 500 RMB is more important than saving ur head? What are u gonna do with ur 500 when ur head is a puddle, buy a gold spoon to pick it up? Nor do I get how 500 is more important than everyday's riding comfort.. No DOT certification => fake helmet, period.

Don't buy on Taobao either, trying it is essential, and even if trying all helmets in the shop u still may have noise level and poor aerodynamic fatigue surprises, crappy airflow...

To try it best, sit down in the shop, lean forward as much as when on ur bike, shake ur head; it should "stick" the skin of ur face and move only as much as that around ur skull. The top of the eye opening should cover ur eyebrows, then its chin shouldn't hit ur shoulders when u check ur dead angle with ur arms raised as high as if holding ur handle bars. Should feel light. Should be a TINY bit too tight as pads are gonna soften up a tiny bit with time. I like double D strap as they still don't do safest ones, although it's a pain to fasten with gloves at times, the time it takes gives u a few seconds to focus, to empty ur mind of everything else than the road, to enter the "I'm now riding my bike" concentration and state of mind, and I like taking those 10 seconds and fasten it slowly before I start the engine, as I crashed a few times within seconds after starting, not since this helmet though.

Read some reviews online! Then go and try as many as u can here and pick according to safety rating, then comfort, price should be the last factor.

I think 2000 RMB is the minimum u should be ready to pay to get a "cheap" real helmet.

It's not just having DOT certification, it's getting a helmet as close as possible from maximum safety rating for as minimum $ as possible.

Same thing goes for ur back plate, minimum 1000 RMB, and read lots of ratings.

Peace.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

6. #16 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    you could always buy 2 sizes on taobao and then send the one that doesnt fit you. I did that before and had no problems with the seller. I live in a small city......well its small in China but still bigger then capital of country Im from, there is no other option then buying online or traveling for few hours to a big city

7. #17 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    I don't get how saving 500 RMB is more important than saving ur head? What are u gonna do with ur 500 when ur head is a puddle, buy a gold spoon to pick it up? Nor do I get how 500 is more important than everyday's riding comfort.. No DOT certification => fake helmet, period.
    Braillce, are you sure you know what you are talking about? DOT, Snell, CE are just various certifications for helmets used in different countries. Not having DOT simply means that the helmet hasn't been tested by that organization in the United States. So if I was selling a particular helmet domestically in China why would I go through the trouble and cost of getting my helmet tested by an American helmet testing organization?

Helmets are just a thick layer of polystyrene with a harder outer shell made from plastic or fiberglass. Are you sure you are not just paying out money in the hope that more expenditure will protect you better? Surely the costs of many of the higher end helmets are to recoup the cost of fancy marketing and rider sponsorship?

Anyhow the smart money looks like getting a HJC helmet as they are made in China but have DOT and other certification (depending in what country they are sold). But maybe buying and fitting one in a shop back home (to ensure it's not a fake and to get the best fit), then buying new visors on Taobao for 45 yuan instead of being gouged for more than ten times as much in a western shop.

8. #18 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    Oh.. I didn't mean Snell and CE are fake certifications, just that no certification at all is absurd. Although I don't really trust Snell (SMF) because of their history. CE is the same as DOT to me.

Helmets are NOT just a thick layer of polystyrene with a harder shell of random plastic... Come on.

Now to answer u, I'm not sure that I ain't paying more $ on the hope that it'll protect me better, how can I be sure? I can't before I crash the exact same way with each helmet on. Now I did read comparison in magazines and tests where people actually submitted different back plates to the same stresses before I bought one. I don't really remember how I picked my helmet, but I sure won't go for the coolest brand because it's out of price and fashionable, believe me I'm picky, and that's for foreign products.

Regarding Chinese products, I've bought some before, and so did you, they had all sorts of certification, what is ur general conclusion regarding these products?

To me they were cheaper, but lasted surprisingly little time and were much more prone to catastrophic explosive failure than any other product I bought that was designed in the awesome foreign world. So it ain't just cheaper cause hand work force is cheaper in China, it's also cause they have tendencies to flirt with the limit of certifications, with the limit of plastic needed for something to fill it's intended purpose and not any bit more, or managed to escape real testing somehow.

Even of certified DOT, SMF and CE, I'd never buy a Chinese helmet, if it was given to me I would say thanks but would never use it, nor give it to anyone I like, not to anyone I don't like for that matter, I'm not that cruel.

I guess yes it is belief, as I have no proof that DOT certified Chinese helmets are bad.

But I've seen where industry cuts short here, I'm not putting any $ in that machine anymore, ever, and even less than ever when it's a product that can mean life or death for me.

This isn't being responsive to fancy marketing. Although yea I have a nice AGV and bought an extra visor in the shop for 120 RMB.

Don't u make a thread crying out loud about ur unbelievable bad luck when ur 45 RMB taobao visor flies off and decapitates your pillion passenger.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

9. #19 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    Braillace, I sum up with: buy HJC. Now it's got a 45 rmb visor but it's not gonna fly off and kill my pillion because it's the same helmet as used by Jorge Lorenzo twice 250cc and twice Motogp world champion.

Chinese helmet, famous in western countries yet has western safety certification, sponsor a champion but Chinese visor prices=Have your cake and eat it.
    a7895b00fe2009e75b1d6ba7f639db95.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ZMC888; 03-01-2014 at 12:50 AM.

10. #20 Re: Chinese Helmet - Good Quality Ones 
    Oh...

I just realized what have ur cake and eat it means..

Thought u meant smthg like shut up.

Which I will as u did make ur point.

if someone gives me a HJC I'll wear it with pride...
    Georges Brassens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast