Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Pulse Adrenaline 125 - Gear indicator not working 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all,

I've got an odd problem with my Pulse.

My neutral indicator stopped working on the LED display on the dash a few weeks ago. All other gears were displaying correctly, it's just when the bike was put into neutral the display just went blank instead of displaying the green 'N'.

Consequently, when starting the bike, it wouldn't start without holding the clutch in (even though the bike was genuinely in neutral) - the starter wouldn't turn. I suppose this could be related to the neutral light not working.

This has since deteriorated.

Now, the bike pretty much always displays '1' as if it's in first gear, regardless of the gear selection. Once or twice I have seen it display '4' correctly, and sometimes '5'. Once I'm convinced it was trying to display '4' and '5' at the same time.

It smells of an electrical issue to me. Could be wrong. Would welcome anyone's advice on a place to start investigation.

Many many thanks!
    AJE

2. #2 Re: Pulse Adrenaline 125 - Gear indicator not working 
    C-Moto Guru
    The gear position sensor is located behind the left crank case cover as shown in the photo below.

gear.jpg

It has 6 wires (one for each gear position) and a common wire coming from it. These wires come out of the engine from behind the front sprocket cover and then in to the wiring loom. These wires are very close to the front sprocket and chain and have been known to run up against them and becoming damaged in the process so a good starting point would be to check for any damaged wires behind the front sprocket cover.

Next if you follow the wire up a little bit you should find that it connects to the wiring loom via a 6 pin connector and a separate blue wire which I think goes to ground, check these connections for corrosion, damage, etc. There should also be another connector going from the other end of the wiring loom to the gear indicator so check this also.

If you have found no obvious issues yet then the next step is to check for loose connections along the wiring loom, to do this you will need a multimeter with a continuity function, if you don't know what this is it basically beeps with a good connection is made between both multimeter probes. If you don't already have a multimeter any cheap one will do. With the multimeter check for continuity for each wire from the gear indicator to where the gear position sensor first connects to the loom. If the loom is at fault you can either replace the whole loom (expensive and a bit time consuming) or remove the outer electrical tape holding it together and look for broken connections.

If you can't find any problems you could just go for broke and replace the gear position sensor. To replace it you drain the oil, remove the left crank case bolts and cover, unplug and unscrew the sensor then just install the new one in reverse.

http://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonl...XF125GY-2B.php
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

3. #3 Re: Pulse Adrenaline 125 - Gear indicator not working 
    It has a loose connection, tighten it up, they can come loose.

4. #4 Re: Pulse Adrenaline 125 - Gear indicator not working 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    The gear position sensor is located behind the left crank case cover as shown in the photo below.

gear.jpg

It has 6 wires (one for each gear position) and a common wire coming from it. These wires come out of the engine from behind the front sprocket cover and then in to the wiring loom. These wires are very close to the front sprocket and chain and have been known to run up against them and becoming damaged in the process so a good starting point would be to check for any damaged wires behind the front sprocket cover.

Next if you follow the wire up a little bit you should find that it connects to the wiring loom via a 6 pin connector and a separate blue wire which I think goes to ground, check these connections for corrosion, damage, etc. There should also be another connector going from the other end of the wiring loom to the gear indicator so check this also.

If you have found no obvious issues yet then the next step is to check for loose connections along the wiring loom, to do this you will need a multimeter with a continuity function, if you don't know what this is it basically beeps with a good connection is made between both multimeter probes. If you don't already have a multimeter any cheap one will do. With the multimeter check for continuity for each wire from the gear indicator to where the gear position sensor first connects to the loom. If the loom is at fault you can either replace the whole loom (expensive and a bit time consuming) or remove the outer electrical tape holding it together and look for broken connections.

If you can't find any problems you could just go for broke and replace the gear position sensor. To replace it you drain the oil, remove the left crank case bolts and cover, unplug and unscrew the sensor then just install the new one in reverse.

http://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonl...XF125GY-2B.php
    Thanks for the top reply dude, useful to see so much info.

Apologies for the late reply, I've just moved house so not had much of a chance to look at the bike in daylight yet! When I do, I'll give it a bash and let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
    AJE