Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Need help changing rectifier, simple if you know what the wires are 
    C-Moto Noob
    I have a pulse adreniline 125.

The old rectifier i have has 2 plugs.

1 plug has a red and black and white cable attached and the other plug has 3 black cables attached.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...mL._SY300_.jpg

The new rectifier i have has 1 plug which has

1 red, 1 white, 1 black, 1 green and 1 yellow wire going to the one plug..

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...l3kjOaW26g.jpg

The mechanic/parts sales man said to take the wires out the new plug and attach them to the old plugs i have but make sure i get the cables right.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT CABLES ARE WHAT? AS LONG AS I CAN ISOLATE THE 2 CABLES IN THE ONE PLUG , THE OTHER 3 SHOULD BE FINE.

2. #2 Re: Need help changing rectifier, simple if you know what the wires are 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    the reason some manufacturer split the 5 wires is to isolate the output side -
    the important thing is that the red and the black MUST go to the battery - the other three can be mixed up -it's not critical.
    HTH
    marc

3. #3 Re: Need help changing rectifier, simple if you know what the wires are 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by marcrbeaudry View Post
    the reason some manufacturer split the 5 wires is to isolate the output side -
    the important thing is that the red and the black MUST go to the battery - the other three can be mixed up -it's not critical.
    HTH
    marc
    I already did it, and it connected perfectly.

The problem is the bike is still dying on me after about 30-40mins of riding....

Could it be the battery?

4. #4 Re: Need help changing rectifier, simple if you know what the wires are 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    the bike is cutting out - when ? at idle ?
    when you are under way the alternator should be making enough power to supply the bike's ignition AND charge the battery.
    if it's cutting out when you are underway it's likely a short somewhere - if it's when the RPMs are down low - you likely have a charging issue (which still doesn't mean you dont have a wiring problem)
    before spending more money on it - check all your cables and terminations - make sure they are tight, clean and properly connected.
    in particular the ground strap - from the negative side of the battery to the frame - assure that the mounting is clean and tight.
    if that doesnt fix it - have your battery checked and charging system - do you have a Voltmeter ? if not get one - they can be purchased CHEAP, if so - with the bike turned off , and battery disconnectd- check the voltage at the battery across the terminals. let me know what you get there.
    same test- with the bike running battery reconnected at idle- what is the voltage.
    same test- with the bike running - increase the engine speed and note if and what is the voltage change as you increase RPMs.

if it's making on top of 13+ volts , when it's running and you note an increase in the voltage as you rev it - your charging system is doing it's job. if not your charging system is suspect.