Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: GPS navigation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 GPS navigation 
    Banned
    Hi
    Anyone know if a motorbike GPS nav is good? And are the maps of China on Chinese only or English friendly?
    Or am I asking a local shop if they sell knifes and forks again? Yes I giggled with that shop keeper

2. #2 Re: GPS navigation 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Good question. I have used an old Papago GPS (probably designed for cars) that I picked up in Hong Kong which included maps of Beijing and Shanghai (the only ones I tested) in English pinyin and Chinese. It also had an upgrade card (think they all do now) for additional and updated Chinese maps from their website.

I am in the market now for a new one and have seen some more modern versions on Taobao that look quite good. Would be interested in what other forum members report by brand name and map packages.

I have heard that while the maps do change a bit quicker with new roads, the newer GPS units have maps that actually go very far out in detail these days. A friend of mine used one for a Qinghai trip and it was supposedly right on.

Banned
    Most seem to use igo maps? But is the map in English or can an only English speaking person use it in china?

4. #4 Re: GPS navigation 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I use google maps on my phone. Its in English but if you type Chinese it will also show you the right place. Remember to get some date package cos GM uses a lot of data unless you dont set it into turn to turn mode (as I do). Simply run GM, mark where you wanna go and tap that little arrow that centers on your location. Now the map will move as you go and your location will always be in the center. It wont need to download details so youll save data and battery life. Problem is that it wont tell you where to go, you need to control the screen which can be tricky

5. #5 Re: GPS navigation 
    C-Moto Noob
    Google (and other western maps) do not show the right location because china forces them to add random deviation. I use 3rd party program (locus) and download google maps of the area where I want to go (e.g. shanghai or most of it anyway since accurate and large area makes a big file), or just use 3g if you have. Then use programs function to de-offset the deviation, this works locally since the deviation is not the same everywhere. Another option is to use vector maps like openstreetmap which work out of the box but are not detailed. Have not tried navigation.

This does not answer OP's question though and I am interested to know as well if any stand-alone navigators are good (and in english) or maybe there is a good program for android?

e: and is it true that possessing some of the maps is illegal in china?

6. #6 Re: GPS navigation 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Miksu View Post
    Google (and other western maps) do not show the right location because china forces them to add random deviation
    My google map is pretty accurate. I never experienced any sort of deviation in eastern China nor in western part apart from one occasion when I had a problem but it wasnt a road, I was on a small camel path in Xinjiang

7. #7 Re: GPS navigation 
    C-Moto Noob
    I'm not sure about google maps application (don't remember if I've tried) but others are offset on purpose. Google "china gps offset" for example. Applies to pretty much all foreign services. 420 meters north and 240 meters west or so for google maps in shanghai for example.

8. #8 Re: GPS navigation 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Miksu View Post
    420 meters north and 240 meters west or so for google maps in shanghai for example.
    This is pretty huge difference. Interesting issue though, why would they force western map providers to add deviation? to promote domestic maps? Or to stop foreigners traveling around? What might be the reason?

Anyway, Ive just checked my google maps and when I sit on my ass there is a little difference (about 10-20m) b ut when I move is very accurate.

I tried nokia maps on my old phone and althought its supposed to be great cos you can pre-download maps on your phone (no need to use mobile data) it didnt work very good. It needed about 5 min to find where you were

Banned
    I have some app on iPhone but find it's not that good at all
    I have seen some others but looks complex
    Rather have a stand alone device and keep it so I can use it in other countries as well

10. #10 Re: GPS navigation 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I used a US Garmin car gps with the sim card China maps that worked fine in Shandong and Henan until I smashed it. Funny enough while walking not riding. I finally found a dealer that managed to install igo in English and that worked, but not as well as the Garmin. Now I use my Samsung IV smartphone connected to my bluetooth. I have to download the maps for the area, but it works well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast