Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: GPS navigation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: GPS navigation 
    I use Route66 on Android phone as Navigation. I bought the app for about 400RMB. Then (best with WLAN connection you can download maps (based on google maps or even same?) without any additional costs. With this you dont need a online connection as standard Google maps. Check from time to time if the is a newer map version and update them. Runs well for me.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

2. #12 Re: GPS navigation 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I have been using a dedicated Garmin GPS unit (Zumo 660) on my motorcycles. I purchased it inside China, and it has full support from Garmin China. It is in English, with very accurate & detailed pinyin maps, and English voice. It is water & shock resistant, includes a quick release mounting bracket, bluetooth (BT), MP3 player, and easily integrates with one's mobile phone (if someone calls, the calling name/number will show on the screen - and you can choose to reject/answer - and converse through your BT-enabled helmet). It is also glove-friendly, with large numbers.

It comes with both a motorcycle mount and a car mount, so you can switch the unit between each vehicle type. Additional motorcycle mounts are an option, if you have multiple bikes. This is handy because you can take all of your saved locations/routes with you.

Because I purchased it inside China, there is no issue with offsets. I've also loaded SE Asia maps and all of Mongolia, Russia, Stans, Eastern Europe, etc., on the unit.

Friends also use the same model on bikes inside China, and they are happy. Some, however, prefer the Garmin Montana. As a back-up, I could also use my mobile phone's (Samsung 4) GPS, but it is much slower and not as convenient. The Garmin is a dedicated GPS unit, and it does it extremely well.

The one downside of the Zumo 660 is price - it is expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12