Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Handlebars for the 650NK 
    Following my latest ride, I have decided I really need to switch out the bars on my 650NK. The width of the bars is fine, but the sweep forces my wrist into an odd angle, resulting in extreme pain and a bit of difficulty with the controls as a result.

What are my options for bars? Feels like I'll need something with a bit less sweep to get correct the angle of my wrists.

Searching for bars for the ER6 lead me to the Renthol site.
    http://www.renthal.com/File/apps1.as...d=0&appid=ROAD

2. #2 Re: Handlebars for the 650NK 
    Quote Originally Posted by guangtouge View Post
    Following my latest ride, I have decided I really need to switch out the bars on my 650NK. The width of the bars is fine, but the sweep forces my wrist into an odd angle, resulting in extreme pain and a bit of difficulty with the controls as a result.

What are my options for bars? Feels like I'll need something with a bit less sweep to get correct the angle of my wrists.

Searching for bars for the ER6 lead me to the Renthol site.
    http://www.renthal.com/File/apps1.as...d=0&appid=ROAD

Best to look on Taobao so i am sure some guys will chip in with some links to Taobao for you ?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Thanks!

I have done a brief Taobao search, but I'm not yet sure what I should be looking for. What dimensions will work well for riding hundreds of kilometers in a day? What do I need to look for to make sure what I buy fits properly? Has anyone changed out their bars and food some that they like?

4. #4 Re: Handlebars for the 650NK 
    You were exactly right with the Renthals. The reason being that Taobao is awash with fakes, and running a fake bar could be deadly, also Renthal make about the best bar ever. Spend the extra and buy Renthal. Some online companies even do free shipping from overseas.

Also you could loosen your current bar and rotate it to improve the feel but nothing's better than the Renthal sweep and rise. Additionally also think about Renthal grips.

5. #5 Re: Handlebars for the 650NK 
    Look for Enduro or SM ones as they are very flat in profile personally I didn't enjoy having flat bars went for one that meant less of a reach.

Kennon

6. #6 Re: Handlebars for the 650NK 
    C-Moto Regular

7. #7 Re: Handlebars for the 650NK 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    In my opinion, buying handlebars is like buying shoes - you really need to try them on for a correct "fit".

But I don't know how you'd do that in China. Maybe the dealer can help (although dealers in China rarely have any proper accessories). Or, because there are so many 650NKs that have been sold, perhaps there is a 650NK group in Shanghai? If you read/write Chinese (or can get someone to help), check out weifengtang.com or motorfans for help. Both seem to have a pretty good support forums for local bikes, and can also hook you up with local 650NK groups.

Or maybe get a friend to take measurements when you are sitting on the bike and positioning your hands where you would like the grips to be, then see if you can match those measurements?

Be a bummer if you bought some expensive bars online only to find that they weren't quite what you were looking for. The amount of non-returnable disappointments I have bought online is mind boggling. Even the returnable items cost me money in shipping charges, and also waste a lot of my time.

8. #8 Re: Handlebars for the 650NK 
    LJH, in mountain biking and dirt biking the majority of riders know what they like by measurement. It's only road biking where most riders choices of bars come down to how they look for feel in the shop.

For example I like a 'dirt style' bar even on a road bike I like a 5 degree upsweep with a 7-9 degree backsweep. Then you can choose the rise according to what's comfortable on the bike. On a mountain bike I like a 20mm rise much more than a 38mm rise. If the bar is too low you can then change the stack height.

However things get annoying with road bikes as they go with everything in mm and no degrees. So maybe figure out where you'd like the bar to be compared to the one you have.

9. #9 Re: Handlebars for the 650NK 
    Thank you for the replies. Based on what has been said, I might wait until I go back to the states and I can more easily check out a variety of bars. This depends on some pending travel plans, but even if those fall through, I may still wait a few more months until I am back at the end of the year.

In the meantime, I'll look through some of the Chinese sites that have been mentioned.

Thanks again!

10. #10 Re: Handlebars for the 650NK 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi guys already fitted renthal fat bars with risers...new grips (which was fun to fit to throttle) new brake and clutch levers as well. I can say its a much better ride postion and the bike feels more aggressive to ride...will add pics later.

alex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast