Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Lexmoto XTRS Headlight Upgrade 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi guys, as I understand it HID kits are illegal in the UK, so can anyone help me with getting some new bulbs (HS1 fitting I think) for my bike. The light output of my bike even with the reflectors cleaned isnt enough for me imho, and as most of my riding atm is to and from work in the dark on country roads (leave at 7am return at 6pm) I could do with some more visability but I am struggling to find a decent bulb with the correct fitting :(

Help me please :)

2. #2 Re: Lexmoto XTRS Headlight Upgrade 
    C-Moto Guru
    I think HIDs are legal as long as they are installed correctly and they don't blind oncomming traffic, you can get HID kits with a dual bulb so that on dipped beam they are like regular headlights and on high beam the HID part of it turns on so it dosen't matter if it blinds oncomming traffic (on high beam).

If you don't want to go the HID route the only options are to either replace your headlight with better quality ones that are rated for use with high wattage bulbs (i.e. 55w and up) or add extra lights. It isn't a good idea to up the wattage on your current headlight as I have found that cheap Chinese reflectors tend to melt if you use a bulb that runs as a higher wattage than what the reflector was intended for.

Since your bike dosen't have much room for mounting extra lights some mini LED lights like these should work pretty well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-4-C...item1e8079b2a2

If it was me I'd mount them on the front forks or under the front fairing.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

3. #3 Re: Lexmoto XTRS Headlight Upgrade 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    If you haven't already sorted something out you could try this with a 45W H4 bulb http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:KDS4444/HS1_bulb

4. #4 Re: Lexmoto XTRS Headlight Upgrade 
    C-Moto Noob
    Yea I have been thinking about that but the last bit of the wiki puts me off :(

Attention for converting into H4 might be danger on both wires and lens cause melting.

5. #5 Re: Lexmoto XTRS Headlight Upgrade 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I'm pretty sure you'd only have problems if you went up to 55/60 due to the power draw + heat involved, with the HID route they produce a fair bit of heat which may cause problems.

6. #6 Re: Lexmoto XTRS Headlight Upgrade 
    C-Moto Noob
    Bah, thats Osram Nightbreakers out then :(

7. #7 Re: Lexmoto XTRS Headlight Upgrade 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I run a xenon max ultima H4 in my kinroad but I had to wire the headlight straight from the battery and set up two relays due to the crappy wiring they use.

You could try one first and see if the wiring gets warm at all.

8. #8 Re: Lexmoto XTRS Headlight Upgrade 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I found these that draw a lot less power http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Brig...item2c7ade7bf7

9. #9 Re: Lexmoto XTRS Headlight Upgrade 
    C-Moto Noob
    They look promising but when I need 2 they are extremely expensive :( £58 lol - thanks for looking tho!

10. #10 Re: Lexmoto XTRS Headlight Upgrade 
    C-Moto Guru
    Just to expand on my previous post, I had a 55w bulb in my headlight for about 2 months and it melted a big hole in my reflector so I doubt that is an option for you unless if your reflectors are of good quality. I have also found that HIDs output a lot of heat; I have cheap spot lights with HID bults fitted and after an hour with them on the reflector was ok but the plastic ring around them melted.

Due to the fact that most automotive bulbs are very inefficient they output a lot of heat so I don't think that you have many options. If it was me I would mount a load of high powered LEDs to anywhere where there is room.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast