Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Hello and seeking advice on a town to live. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Firstly, I'm sorry I make you feel that way. I know that I too, feel frustrated sometimes when dealing with computer newbs.

As it happens, I didn't ask for advice on what bike to get, although I certainly appreciate the advice you have given. Cost is indeed an important factor, but so are ride comfort, reliability, safety and to an extent, style. I like the look of a cruiser and imagine that I would like the feel of riding one. The reliability of the Japanese bikes has already been strongly impressed upon me by my local mentors. Two of them have Japanese bikes and speak highly of the reliability and engine. Were I able to find a cruiser style bike from a Japanese brand, I would buy that over the Raptor, even if it was more expensive. However other factors, such as safety, might take me to a sit-up bike. I've also considered getting a DS as I've read here that they're well suited to Chinese roads (although I'd like panniers which I don't think are easy to fit to a DS).

Regarding safety, when you speak of the "poor riding position", are you talking about the relatively higher vantage point afford by the sit-up style bikes, being better for awareness?

2. #12 Re: Hello and seeking advice on a town to live. 
    If you can't afford 25,000 for a YBR250 or Suzuki GW250, then I personally opt of a YBR125, maybe the X version or a Honda CBF150.

However there is a Suzuki GN250, not sure if they are made any more, last time I heard they were being made by Wonjan. That would enable you to have a Jap cruiser, they are very ugly though.

See cruisers are about style, form over function. That's fine if you are riding Captain America at 55 mph from Reno to Las Vegas on a hot day, especially if the rebel Rodeo Clown image appeals to you. But if you want to really ride in Asia or Europe you need a bike with a regular riding position and the best brakes and tires to avoid those lunatics that just pull out of intersections without looking. It's not just me, the opinion is pretty much universal on these message boards.

3. #13 Re: Hello and seeking advice on a town to live. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Cool, the safety aspect is more important than style. Thanks for the advice. I probably will go for a Japanese 250. Before that though, a licence and settling on a town to stay in for a few years.

4. #14 Re: Hello and seeking advice on a town to live. 
    just picked up my secondhand ybr250 in shanghai, definitely worth the money !

5. #15 Re: Hello and seeking advice on a town to live. 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    just picked up my secondhand ybr250 in shanghai, definitely worth the money !
    Were you the lucky buyer of the "deal of the decade" via this forum? Even if not, one cannot go wrong with a YBR250 - great bikes.

6. #16 Re: Hello and seeking advice on a town to live. 
    yes I bought Mauro's bike a while ago but only got to pick it up now. Its a bit scruffy looking but that doesn't bother me. As to the original question, buy the best bike you can and pay more than a little attention to the air quality where you plan to live because it is a real issue here in Shanghai.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12