Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I took the ferry across Galen Bay that connects to 23. Where is the other ferry near Nakusp? Is that the one from Faquier to Needles?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

2. #32 yes 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    there is the shelter bay to galena bay ferry north of nakusp , south of nakusp is the needles fauquier ferry . near nelson is the balfour crawford bay ferry . the most exciteing ferrys are the cable retention ferrys on the fraser river . they hold two cars and cross the river powered by the rivers current . one is quite remote and a hour off the pavement on gravel roads .

The reason the interior ferries are free is because they are part of the highways infrastructure system.the Balfour ferrie is a back up route if the #3 salmo pass is closed in the winter from avalanches so the southern route is not blocked.Some of the smaller ones are still in place becuase it is way cheaper than building bridges ( they are small cable ferries)that cross the smaller areas of the flooded regions.

Quote Originally Posted by 7up View Post
    ... they hold two cars and cross the river powered by the rivers current . one is quite remote and a hour off the pavement on gravel roads .
    MMMMMM! And which one would that be?

Sounds like a good ride...I'll have to see if I can hook that one next time in that neck of the woods for sure!

CC

5. #35 big bar ferry 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    its called the big bar ferry . from the town of lillooet there is a gravel road that goes up the fraser river on the west side . the east side is pavement . the road follows the banks above the river for about 80 klm in think . then a side road zig zags down to the rivers edge . there is a solar powered phone that you can call the ferry man on . he lives in a little house on the other side of the river . he will come pick you up if it is before 7 pm . if you come from the other side of the river a dog goes and tells him someone wants across the river . two guys do the job 2 weeks on 2 weeks off . the road continues to a place called jesmond . from there you can go to the town of clinton or a longer better trip is to williams lake on gravel following the river . the first time i took the road from williams lake to the ferry i stopped near the indian reserve called alkali lake to read my map . an old indian man drove his truck down the hill to see me . he asked where are you going ? i told him the big bar ferry . he said " in one half hour you will feel like a very small man in this big world" and drove away . i did not understand what he ment and carryed on my way . half an hour later i came around a corner and almost fell off my bike . the view of the river deep in the canyon below was an amazing sight . i then understood what the old man had told me .

I stayed a night in Lillooet, home of Mugs N Jugs! Had no idea the dirt road on the east side of the river led to such amazing scenery but then again I was on a fully loaded Bandit 1200 at the time and didn't really check. Next time, it'll be different for sure!

Seriously, much thanks for those most excellent gold nuggets of riding info on that area. IMHO, it is one of the most beautiful readily accessible places in North America.

Paz,
    CC

7. #37 lillooet 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    the best rideing area around is there , china head mountain is great obove the treeline rideing . pluss the B.C. HYDRO campground is really good and free . today the whole town was evacuated . forest fires are working there way down the mountain and threaten to enter town

8. #38 lillooet 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    I stayed a night in Lillooet, home of Mugs N Jugs! Had no idea the dirt road on the east side of the river led to such amazing scenery but then again I was on a fully loaded Bandit 1200 at the time and didn't really check. Next time, it'll be different for sure!

Seriously, much thanks for those most excellent gold nuggets of riding info on that area. IMHO, it is one of the most beautiful readily accessible places in North America.

Paz,
    CC
    i was in lilloet this week , the mugs and jugs is now called the feelin good pub . i didnt take the roads i had planned as there were so many fires and i think i had heatstroke , it really was to hot and no shade in mid day . here a picture of the fish me and a friend caught by the old bridge . the reel snapped so it took three off us to bring it in . i noticed the local yamaha dealer sold orange saga 250 models . i wanted to stop in and look but standing in the hot parking lot was not a good idea i discovered another great area called trout lake . heres a picture of the old hotel and glass pumps .
    Attached Images

Man that's good livin.' You definitely live near some of the coolest riding in North America and its good to see you're taking advantage of that.

You and Dan talkin' about these points west really make me wanna hit Alaska, the long way there. Need me some mtns. I got this thing about mountains. Zoiks!

Oh and SWEET fish. I bet it was tasty!

CC

10. #40 sturgeon 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    ive been told they are good eating but are a protected species nowdays . looks like conservation is working as we caught 3 in a few hours .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast