Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New to everything, looking at a few bikes. . . 
    Greetings!

I am a newcomer to the motorcycle world, as I have always loved them from afar, but never got too much into the culture and the mechanics until recently. I decided that since I would be new to riding, I would start out on a simple beginner type bike, and go from there later on. I had my eyes on a few models of "china bikes", and found this forum when doing background research on them. I know you fine people here probably get asked a veritable plethora of stupid questions, and possibly even a dusting of educated ones, so I hoped to cultivate a resource for an informed purchase down the road, and a place to share tech-tips, mods, and other info!

The bikes I'm currently looking at are fairly standard:

Sport Bikes:
    JinLun JL250P-2
    DONG FANG MC-D250RTC
    Roketa MC-113

Cruiser Bikes:
    Dong Fang D250RTD Streak
    Lifan 250F V-Twin

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I have found videos, articles, and other publications on these bikes, but rarely mature, honest reviews of the bikes. The comments on videos are less than helpful, as the internet motorcycle trolls pipe up who've never owned one, but "totally had a friend who has one and it sucked and burst into flames and blah, blah, blah".

Thanks in advance!
    Jon
    Three Harleys have cured me of my desire for "American Iron".

2. #2 Re: New to everything, looking at a few bikes. . . 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I ride a QinJiang 250J here in China. I've had the Qjiang 250 for a month. It is comfortable to rise and seems to be a good bike for the cost. I would consider it along with the other cruisers. If you're in the US it is marketed as a Qlink 250. The current model has disc brakes front and rear and EFI. Having EFI is a great help on cold mornings if you live in northern latitudes.

3. #3 Re: New to everything, looking at a few bikes. . . 
    Unfortunately It appears that they are not available in the US. :(
    Thanks for the info, though!

Quote Originally Posted by lmcmanus View Post
    I ride a QinJiang 250J here in China. I've had the Qjiang 250 for a month. It is comfortable to rise and seems to be a good bike for the cost. I would consider it along with the other cruisers. If you're in the US it is marketed as a Qlink 250. The current model has disc brakes front and rear and EFI. Having EFI is a great help on cold mornings if you live in northern latitudes.
    Jon

4. #4 Re: New to everything, looking at a few bikes. . . 
    Welcome...obviously, the Dong Fang bobber (not sure if either DF you mentioned is the bobber ) has the longest thread, so will contain anything and everything about that bike. You should join www.chinariders.net as well since most of us are from the US/Canada and can steer you to the right bike/dealer in the US. If you like enduros/motard style bikes, I have been pleased with my TMEC 200. Someone in Florida sells them as the 'Denali-TMEC' but the distributor for them is Excalibur Motorsports www.atv4usa.com and if you do not have a dealer near you, they will sell you one directly for under $1700 shipped. I do believe the enduro is the perfect learning bike no matter which brand you get.

5. #5 Re: New to everything, looking at a few bikes. . . 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Q-link 250 is available in the US. This is an email from a dealer in Warner Robbins, GA.
    DaveBrgmn@aol.com

Yes absolutely

We have the Q-Link Tour 250 With Dual Leather Saddle Bags and Windshield, Carburetor Only not EFI for $2499 Total Delivered to Your Residence in any location the US. We ship Directly from the Q-Link Distributor in TX.

Yes absolutely

We have the Q-Link Tour 250 With Dual Leather Saddle Bags and Windshield, Carburetor Only not EFI for $2499 Total Delivered to Your Residence in any location the US. We ship Directly from the Q-Link Distributor in TX.

Below is a Copy of the MCO Title for Reference Only.

When you have the US Address Please E-Mail Address and Phone Number, color choice, Black or Red and we will first e-mail you back a complete Bill of Sale, that gives you all the information on shipping time, etc, and then you can go ahead and order.

Thank-You

Dave Bergman
    Extreme-Scooters
    www.extreme-scooters.com

TL: (478) 987-8509
    Fax: (478) 224-8518
    Direct: (478) 396-6796

6. #6 Re: New to everything, looking at a few bikes. . . 
    Personally I wouldn't buy a Chinese bike if I lived in the united states, I'd buy a 2nd hand Japanese bike. Also there is nothing wrong with a bigger capacity bike even if you are a new rider, I'd suggest a 2nd hand Honda CB500.

7. #7 Re: New to everything, looking at a few bikes. . . 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't buy a Chinese bike if I lived in the united states, I'd buy a 2nd hand Japanese bike. Also there is nothing wrong with a bigger capacity bike even if you are a new rider, I'd suggest a 2nd hand Honda CB500.
    Ditto to that... friggin DITTO!...

CB500X... awesome...

And for those of you (I sympathise) stuck back in PRC that can't access fbook... here's a few pics from the Thai Honda X team... see the CB500X... very capable with or without the mods for offroading as my RR of my two months in Thailand will demonstrate on my return... sorry no RR teasers yet, I'm having way too much fun riding every day... way more fun here with a population that have and demonstrate a real road awareness... not used or felt the need to touch the horn button more than once... oh and no friggin www censorship cr@p!

Thai CB500X 01.jpg

Thai CB500X 02.jpg

8. #8 Re: New to everything, looking at a few bikes. . . 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I wanted to do that originally, however even on the second-hand market it was a bit more than I could practically afford. Add to that my fickle financial situation, and it makes reliable buying difficult.
    Jon

9. #9 Re: New to everything, looking at a few bikes. . . 
    Quote Originally Posted by Daeouse View Post
    I wanted to do that originally, however even on the second-hand market it was a bit more than I could practically afford. Add to that my fickle financial situation, and it makes reliable buying difficult.
    Really? Even for bikes five years old and over and smaller capacity?

10. #10 Re: New to everything, looking at a few bikes. . . 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Hard to beat a deal like this: a KLR650 in seemingly excellent condition for $2200. It's hard to guess its vintage, since the KLR was basically the same bike for 20+ years until a bit of an upgrade in 2010. This is surely the pre-upgrade version, probably mid-aughts. My KLR will go 75 mph for hours on the freeway without complaining, and is heavy enough not to be buffeted by crosswinds and backdrafts when you pass big trucks. Throw on some panniers and there would be no limit to where you could ride.

Why on earth would you want a chinabike if you didn't have to have one!

cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast