Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Qlink XF200 light; not sure why it's there... 
    So, I got a Qlink XF200 and I've been checking out it's features. First, I was surprised to find that it has a temporary hi-beam switch. That's nice for signaling when the horn isn't enough. I was also surprised to find that there is a switch to turn the gauge lights on/off. What has me stumped is the purpose of the extra bulb in the head light. It's located at the bottom of the headlight and It only turns on when the gauge lights are on. It seems to be some sort of running light but that doesn't make sense since the headlight goes on when you turn the key. Am I missing something here?

It's something to do with being DOT compliant.My machine has this also.

I wonder if it's like that so at road side in the event of a break down the unit has a front and rear lamp to indicate it's position?

I'll look at the BC standards ( as they are from federal) for a new motorcycle and let you know what I find out.
    Last edited by kens; 03-07-2009 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Add info

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    In Europe it's obligatory to ride with your headlight on, but not for them to come on automatically. The switch therefore works as in the past: position one turns on the sidelights or position lights, this is the small bulb that you see in the headlight casing and the rear light, and also the instrument ilumination.

Position two keeps these on but adds the headlight. We have a headlamp flasher as well.

It seems to me that the makers have modified the actual headlight connection to ensure it comes on with the ignition but left the old switchgear on, the Japs are more professional and use new switch clusters omitting the ON/SIDELIGHTS/HIGH BEAM switch. They also wire up the headlamp through a relay that turns the headlight off momentarily as the starter motor works. This is to ease the load on the battery during the start sequence.

A lot of Japanese bikes already come with permanent headlights on, but here it's not compulsory. (yet!).
    Last edited by forchetto; 03-07-2009 at 09:46 AM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY