Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Riding in Pudong SH with a Waidi plate and SH plate proces? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey,

Looking to get the new ZhongShen Piaggio BYQ150. I already talked to the dealer but the problem (as usual) is the plate. I live out near the airport and only want to ride out there. The dealer is saying even a 沪C plate is over 20K...

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=36760472708

I remember the Yamaha dealer quoted 3-4K for a 沪C plate on a YBR125 last year. Is the smaller Yamaha possible categorized differently when it comes to plates?

The Piaggio dealer suggested a waidi plate. I know that's not fully legal but can it be insured in SH?

Thanks

2. #2 Re: Riding in Pudong SH with a Waidi plate and SH plate proces? 
    I am reasonably sure this is not the answer that you were looking for.

The problem is not the plate, the problem is the inability or unwillingness to pay for it.

Attempting to side step and, or blatantly conspiring to disregard China's motor vehicle regulations is foolish at best.
    Legally operating a motor vehicle in one of China's major provinces is not an inexpensive endeavor and foreigners that deal from the bottom of the deck make it harder for the ones that don't. Not preaching here, just telling it like it is.

Would you operate in this manner in your own country? If not, then why would you do so here?
    If on the other hand this is your normal (in your own country) operating procedure then character flaws is not the only thing brought into question here.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

3. #3 Re: Riding in Pudong SH with a Waidi plate and SH plate proces? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you for the lecture, I know you had the best intentions.

But my qestion is still unanswered. Can I insure a waidi plated bike that is in SH? Can I do the yearly inspection in SH? If not is there an agent that can help with the yearly inspection/renewal?

I own and maintain several cars/trucks in SH, most of which are waidi plated and fully legally insured and operated in SH daily. I know the legal procedure for doing the yearly inspection for waidi cars/trucks in SH but I'm unsure for motorcycles.

The bike that someone is offering me is legally registered, insured and plated but the reg/inspection expires in 4 months. I do realize waidi plated bikes are technically illegal but since its a temporary situation and only operated way out by the pudong airport it should be okay. But it does have to have legal plates, insurance and such.

Thanks

4. #4 Re: Riding in Pudong SH with a Waidi plate and SH plate proces? 
    I am sure that this is probably a dumb question but can't you get that info from the guy that you are buying the bike from?
    It may also be possible to buy the bike from him and make a contract with him to keep the bike in his name and carry on as usual.
    I am pretty sure that transferring the bike into your name and keeping the Waidi plates would require you to produce a temporary residency permit for Waidi which should enable you to purchase the needed insurance.
    I would think that insurance from any other provence would be legal anywhere the bike is ridden in China.

As far as I know (pertaining to automobiles) outside plated vehicles can be inspected in Shanghai but for additional fees.
    Hope this helps
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

5. #5 Re: Riding in Pudong SH with a Waidi plate and SH plate proces? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the reply Juice. Everything you said is a valid point.

I did ask the guy but he doesn't know much since he is selling it for a friend who just says the usual "mei gunxi" when ever motorcycle legality questions come up. Seems like a decent guy and I did check the paper work and it all seems in order. (I have bought many cars and I can read basic chinese.)

The guy did offer to leave the bike in his name and do the contract as you mentioned which would be by me. Even if I wanted to transfer the ownership that wouldn't be so hard in most outer provinces as long as I get a agent. I have a old Cadillac legally registered in my name in another province. I just mailed my passport to the agent when I bought the car and they took care of everything and shipped to car to me in SH.

Insurance I'm not sure about. I buy insurance from PICC for my cars and the local office doesn't care where the car is plated or who owns it as long as its got its yearly inspection done. But I have no idea about waidi plated bikes since "technically" waidi plated bikes are not supposed to be ridden in SH. But I also live all the way out near the Pudong airport where the restrictions are less. I guess when I get back to SH I will go to the PICC office and ask.

All this said I'm mostly getting the bike just to play around with temporarily. I rode semi professionally in the States and rode across Vietnam and Cambodia. I love riding and bikes, but really not sure if ridding in SH will do it for me. If I find that its useful and I want to keep riding then I will drop the 30K on a 沪C plate and a Yamaha or Piggio duel sport. But I dont want to drop all that coin up front.

Thanks!

6. #6 Re: Riding in Pudong SH with a Waidi plate and SH plate proces? 
    I realize what you are trying to do but at the end of the day you will never be legal because the plates are illegal in Shanghai. In light of that fact your insurance won't matter in the event of an accident. Not only that you'd be looking at not only fines but when you get stopped you can count on the police confiscating your bike.
    There really isn't any more to be said about this pursuit because if the police even get a glimpse of the plate they are going to stop, detain you, and then take your bike. Period!
    For the life of me, I just can't understand how 20,000 RMB for a 沪C plate could be such a hardship.
    Anyway best of luck to you.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

7. #7 Re: Riding in Pudong SH with a Waidi plate and SH plate proces? 
    Are outside plates really illegal in Shanghai? Surely just not trying to use outside plates in Shanghai if you are resident in central Shanghai? Long term yes but short term? Also outside of peak times? Also if you can prove you are based outside Shanghai and visiting legitimately? So really that means it's impossible to ride in Shanghai if you are based anywhere else? From Beijing? Visiting friends in Shanghai? 'Sorry mate, park your bike on the edge of town and take a bus'.

If that's really the law then it deserves to be broken, because it's unreasonable.