Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Looking for used BMW 650GS or if no BMW, last resort is Jialing 600 Enduro 
    Backroads Rider
    Hi,
    I'm a university teacher and have been in China for 2 1/2 years.
    I've been looking for a used BMW G650 GS for some time now.

I live in Kunming and I've looked on line and through local people. I'm now thinking to buy a Jialing 600 or 650 but I can't find them online.

I really want to buy a used BMW 650 but it seems they are really hard to find in China and people are very unrealistic about their asking price. Most of them are in Eastern China. That's not a problem. I can travel to get one but it needs to be in good condition with low miles and a reasonable (sic) price... I can buy one in the US for $8500 new but the problems associated with importing seem to be too complex for a non chinese speaker. I don't mind paying the tax, shipping and import fees but finding someone to trust in doing this is quite difficult.

Chinese BMW dealers want over $20,000 for a new one and it's a bit much!

Can you provide any information or assistance either for a used BMW 650 or for the Jialing? I really prefer the BMW but I think I may have to resort to the Jialing. I have a Honda 230 and it is just too underpowered for the long trips I want to make in Yunnan, Sichuan and Tibet. That and the seat is too painful to ride for long distances. Some of the trips I want to make will take more than a week.

Thank you for your reply,
    Rob

2. #2 Re: Looking for used BMW 650GS or if no BMW, last resort is Jialing 600 Enduro 
    I would look into the new Zongshen RX3, even if it only has a 250. It is set up for touring from the get go, and won't cost you an arm and a leg (although the Jialing is a domestic bike, too, and wouldn't cost you as much as a BMW, too).

3. #3 Re: Looking for used BMW 650GS or if no BMW, last resort is Jialing 600 Enduro 
    Backroads Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    I would look into the new Zongshen RX3, even if it only has a 250. It is set up for touring from the get go, and won't cost you an arm and a leg (although the Jialing is a domestic bike, too, and wouldn't cost you as much as a BMW, too).
    Yeah. Thanks a lot.
    I really need the power of a bigger engine. 250cc is just not enough!
    Thanks

4. #4 Re: Looking for used BMW 650GS or if no BMW, last resort is Jialing 600 Enduro 
    Go with a Jialing JH600. They are not that bad a bike and you can get local help if any issues. You can buy them direct or they come up in the used market from time to time. Lots of information here. Just do a search for Jialing JH600.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

5. #5 Re: Looking for used BMW 650GS or if no BMW, last resort is Jialing 600 Enduro 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Importing is too difficult and too expensive. Youd probably end up paying much more then $20000 for the whole gig as youd still have to pay that gigantic import tax.
    There are not a lot of choices in China for bikes bigger then 250cc. You have the JH600 you mentioned. I think its best China bike for traveling at the moment. There is CFmoto 650TR but its more touring bike, and there is Shineray X5 (400cc) which in theory and on paper is great (would be my choice) but it will give you a lot of drama.
    Im sure you can find a dealer in Kunming that can get Jialing for you.

6. #6 Re: Looking for used BMW 650GS or if no BMW, last resort is Jialing 600 Enduro 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Searching Taobao for JH600 gives an idea of the range of parts available, and their prices, for the JH600. Quite a few bikes show up too. I remember Jialing itself used to list bikes in Taobao. Not sure if they still do.

cheers
    Euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Looking for used BMW 650GS or if no BMW, last resort is Jialing 600 Enduro 
    It really is to bad about the cost of what are really just regular bikes in other parts of the world. It makes no sense but proper bikes in China are out of reach or just too ridiculous a price to pay for the average guy. On the bright side you can count your lucky stars that you don't have to deal with the price of plates in Shanghai.

The issue in China is that there is virtually no used bike market.

If I hear of something I'll let you know
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

8. #8 Re: Looking for used BMW 650GS or if no BMW, last resort is Jialing 600 Enduro 
    Backroads Rider
    Yes, it's hard to understand where these bikes are. I think most people buy them for trophies and use them seldom. I'm a daily rider and want to make some long trips. It's crazy because the people who spend gobs of money on a great adventure bike and then ride it 3000 km are the majority. There must be many, many bikes out there sitting around and not being used but then they want to sell them like they are new... if at all.

I have a friend who has one that will be in a garage for most of its life. This person has sentimental attachment to the bike and unrealistic value on it so no one will be able to buy it as the price is way too high.

I may have to settle for a Jialing. I've always dreamed of buying a BMW since driving across South America many years ago on a Honda 500XL. I put 16,000 kilometers on that bike in one year. I hope the Jialing is a good bike. I'm about to give up on my dream bike. Maybe they are too complex to work on. I checked the valve adjustment on a BMW G650GS and it is really complex and you have to have lots of shims to do it. Not like my old Honda. Simple, reliable, east to work on.

Thanks for your post
    Rob

9. #9 Re: Looking for used BMW 650GS or if no BMW, last resort is Jialing 600 Enduro 
    Backroads Rider
    It's still cheaper to import but the hassle is huge. You pay tax on the price paid plus shipping. That is still less than half the China cost. Import tax is 71% of the invoice and shipping cost. At $8500 for a new BMW I'd still be money ahead by importing if I could find a trustworthy person experienced in doing it.

10. #10 Re: Looking for used BMW 650GS or if no BMW, last resort is Jialing 600 Enduro 
    I ride mine and I love it. bought last year for 105.000 RMB, incl every Tax (and there are more than the 70% you talk about) and legal plated.
    I don't believe it is cheaper if you try to import on your own, if it is possible at all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast