Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 "Loose" front end? Bad suspension? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey guys, I own a 200cc Shineray. I've ridden her hard and heavy over the past 2 years. Busted the rear suspension a while back (as in, several months back). Finally getting new shocks (could still ride it, just felt very "springy"). I've been taking it easy lately as the oil from the shocks is pretty much drained.

Anyways, it now feels like my front end/steering column wobbles or is loose at low speeds. If I hit a bump at low speeds (5-15kmh) it feels like something moves inside the column (feel it through the handlebars). I'm thinking maybe my steering column bearings are shot? Any other ideas? Would the busted rear shocks also contribute to the loose feeling in the front?

Also, is it normal to hear a "pshhhh" sound from shocks? As in, sounds like air leaving. My shocks never used to do this. Then, after one of my front shocks got a leak, I got the seals changed and added oil to the front shock. Then that "pfff" sound appeared. Sounded weird, but the shocks felt fine. Now they still feel fine (albeit a bit soft for my liking), but I'm just wondering a about that sound. Is it normal/ok?

I know this isn't very specific, but it just feels like the front end wobbles (but only noticeable when I hit a bump at low speeds).

Thanks for any input my motorheads...

2. #2 Re: "Loose" front end? Bad suspension? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    No one?

3. #3 Re: "Loose" front end? Bad suspension? 
    dude, that sounds scary
    new bike next birthday?

4. #4 Re: "Loose" front end? Bad suspension? 
    ... guess your steering head bearings are done. Better don't ride in that condition. If it blocks you might be done too.

If the bearing are done and you turn the front, you can feel a rough metal on metal grind.
    (If you are lucky and this is not the case, then the bearing adjustment is just too loose. In this case you just hear a "clack clack" sound by diving the fork in. But i don't believe this )

... the "pffff" sound comes from the fork sealing ring. I assume a wrong assembly or some bad marks on the dive pipe (which destroy the seal) . I would expect that fork oil come out there too.

When your suspension is f...ed up that much ..... I would carefully check all frame weldings. Buy some penetration indicator and developer spray to detect cracks and perform a penetration test.

Anyway .... when is your birthday? ....
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

5. #5 Re: "Loose" front end? Bad suspension? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks Shuben. No rough metal feeling when I turn it around, but your posts scared me and I took it to my usual shop. I told the guy my bearing might be shot and told him that when I drive it slowly over a bump it does... He then quickly interrupted and said "clunk clunk", the exact sound I would have used to describe it. So it seems like my bearing is indeed out of commission or out of place or something. Might even be the original one...

As for the shocks, I forgot to ask him. I've brought up the issue at that shop before and they say there's no problem... Indeed, there's no leak. Maybe not enough oil or something? They feel fine though, just a bit soft (they've always felt a bit soft imo). If either problem persists, I'll bite the bullet and take the bike to a western-owned place, who should sort me out (for a cost ;-)).

What's this deal about birthdays? Are you guys talking about how old my bike is? It's a 2010. Ridden down from China and then ridden extensively here. Thinking of taking her on a trip through Laos/Thailand/Malaysia soon.

6. #6 Re: "Loose" front end? Bad suspension? 
    the "birthday question" is some kind of joke. the meaning was: make yourself a nice gift for birthday, buy a new bike.

I've brought up the issue at that shop before and they say there's no problem...
    if some guy in China would say to you: "mei wenti" (no problem), you would have big problems

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I know what you mean... They also say "no problem, no problem" here or "yes yes, I know!", haha. Got the bike back today. Feels a bit better. The handlebars are now really sensitive (greasy-like). Also feels like they might be pulling a bit toward the left, but that might be because they're so "loose/fluid" now.

They also refilled the fluid in my shocks, but put too much for my liking (they used to be too soft, now too hard). They drained a bit extra but still feels too hard (not much travel) so I'll go back in a few days to adjust the oil level again. Not sure if the problem is entirely gone though. I still feel a bit of a metal roughness when I hit bumps, though I think I'll wait for the rear shocks to arrive because they're probably affecting the manoeuvrability/feeling of the bike tremendously. Once they're on, hopefully the front problems will dissappear.