Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Churchill Customs - We're Open! Custom motorcycles in China 
    Hey Guys,

I started a custom bike company in China. We build them all by hand!

I wanted to say that I finally got the shop open, and we have been getting orders faster than we can build, so I would say it's going well!!!

Anyway, if you didn't know the story before, serpentza (Winston) and I started a custom bike company in China. We are really happy how everything came out and want you guys to have a look!

We are looking at export within the next year or so, so expect some cool 250cc motorcycles coming stateside soon! (or now, in China if you live here!)

Come have a look! (all require VPN if in China)

http://www.churchillcustoms.com

http://www.facebook.com/churchillcustoms

http://www.youtube.com/serpentza

http://www.youtube.com/laowhy86

churchill4.jpg

2. #2 Re: Churchill Customs - We're Open! Custom motorcycles in China 
    I really like the bikes, really nice website too.

It would be great if you could get them legally registered, don't you worry about sending loads of friends out and about on the roads of Guangdong without registration and insurance though?

3. #3 Re: Churchill Customs - We're Open! Custom motorcycles in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I really like the bikes, really nice website too.

It would be great if you could get them legally registered, don't you worry about sending loads of friends out and about on the roads of Guangdong without registration and insurance though?

All bikes are insured and registered like any other bike bought from a dealer in China. No worries!

4. #4 Re: Churchill Customs - We're Open! Custom motorcycles in China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Bikes look beautiful!

Cant see any other way to get custom bikes register then getting them registered before all the changes, which does not make them completely legal tho. Nevertheless TIC and if you found a way to get them 100% legal then All Hail! and good luck with all the projects.
    Really some interesting designs there
    greets

5. #5 Re: Churchill Customs - We're Open! Custom motorcycles in China 
    Registration is legitimate. It's a two step process. Anyway, thanks for the props!

Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Bikes look beautiful!

Cant see any other way to get custom bikes register then getting them registered before all the changes, which does not make them completely legal tho. Nevertheless TIC and if you found a way to get them 100% legal then All Hail! and good luck with all the projects.
    Really some interesting designs there
    greets

6. #6 Re: Churchill Customs - We're Open! Custom motorcycles in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by matt999tye View Post
    All bikes are insured and registered like any other bike bought from a dealer in China. No worries!
    If you are selling bikes with legal plates and insurance...that's cool. I just don't understand how?
    Everything I've ever read about Chinese traffic law says you can only buy a bike from a CCC certified factory with a VIN plate and engine number that match. Then you take it to the police and they take photos and give you the plates and blue book. After that nothing about the bike can be changed or it will fail inspections and become illegal. So how the hell are you guys managing it?

7. #7 Re: Churchill Customs - We're Open! Custom motorcycles in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    If you are selling bikes with legal plates and insurance...that's cool. I just don't understand how?
    Everything I've ever read about Chinese traffic law says you can only buy a bike from a CCC certified factory with a VIN plate and engine number that match. Then you take it to the police and they take photos and give you the plates and blue book. After that nothing about the bike can be changed or it will fail inspections and become illegal. So how the hell are you guys managing it?

Bike is registered with frame and original engine. Engine is ordered with engine number. Original engine is destroyed or dismantled. Bike is rebuilt, brought back to inspection, picture is taken, stats are updated. Bam. Legal modified bike.

8. #8 Re: Churchill Customs - We're Open! Custom motorcycles in China 
    So you buy a Suzuki EN125 or something and register it, then you claim the engine broke and take it back to the cop shop with a maybe Qingqi 250cc single in it that slots right in. Because an engine change is legal new photos are taken at the cop shop after the work has been done and you're all sweet? If that's how it works, kudos!

Where I am, and I suspect most places in China they'd say that the bike must look the same as before and have the same displacement engine as before, but hey if that's a legal loophole in your area, then sweet, exploit it while you can! I hope you can sell loads and can make yourself into a factory. How about some models based around the CFMOTO 650cc twin?

9. #9 Re: Churchill Customs - We're Open! Custom motorcycles in China 
    I like what your doing, but selling in the USA is costly and you cannot simply send over custom bikes, they have to meet all the regulations. There are lots of procedural regulations as well as environmental regulations.

If you could get a deal with an established distributor and maybe get them to take responsibility for your bikes, but that’s allot to ask.

Technically modifications are illegal, so is selling parts that alter emissions, they often do and eventually get caught and it is not pretty when that happens and those that distribute here hold all the liability.

A standard bike might sell better then a custom bike, people like to do modifications themselves. If you do offer modifications it could be possible to offer build parts that actually move a bike to what could be an already approved version with the EPA. That be like selling a 125cc version stock and cheap and then offering a 223cc engine that is also approved and with all that is needed to make it just like an already approved 223cc version. That is the same as what the major brands do with performance parts, they are not defeating as in beating the EPA as the results are still within regulations.

There is only CCW that offers a similar type bikes, their misfit and ace. They sell them already custom and with a 229cc OHV engine, and sell performance parts that likely take the bike outside EPA regulations. It be better to sell a base 125cc for cheap and then sell all that you do with kits in full or in various parts. Like Ryca does…they sell kits for bikes already in the market, so if you can import a base bike then sell the kits to make the bikes. You have to have a legal entity in the USA and maintaining that and so much cost it is economically limiting.

10. #10 Re: Churchill Customs - We're Open! Custom motorcycles in China 
    The basic bike could be sold as is….for small margins and getting them sold online for cheap through all the online dealers.

Then offer kits that can be added to make it one of these…

You can centralize that aspect and it can all be done online and through mail order. That’s a matter of having the ability to build data tables and a thoughtful eCommerce site that is well maintained and linked to a well managed warehouse. You will never get any volume unless you can get the volume that the online retailers have. All that you need is them to understand and that would be challenging since they seem like creepy egocentric morons. Just getting them to embrace the concept…would be challenging. All they would need to do is sell them and with your name on them….one warehouse to sell all the parts to support the base and offer parts to customize them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast