Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Arranging Shipping (within China) from Taobao 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I live in Chengdu. I've identified a bike on Taobao that I want to buy. Here it is:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=26771800450

It's basially a copy of the YBR125. Looks like it's made in the JianShe factory. And JianShe mentioned the model
    on their website (CQ125-10)..so Im just gonna take a leap of faith (famous last words)

Anyway, I'm confused about how to have it shipped to me. I'm in Chengdu, they say the item will be shipped from
    GuangZhou.

I assumed they would have some relationship with JianShe out here in Chengdu, but they don't. They're saying they
    ship it to a general pick up area, and then I'm on my own. Or I can pay an extra 100RMB to have it shipped to a specific
    address in the city.

So, I know the bike arrives needing some assembly. How do I do this? I live in an apartment complex in a city. And I don't have tools and, oil. And I wouldn't want to push it to a gas station.

What seems to be the best way to logistically handle having a bike shipped to you from Taobao?

I read the other thread by Pope. It seems like he shipped it to a mechanic friend who helped with assembly and who had tools.
    Unfortunately, I dont have a friend like that.

What do you think is the best way to go about it?

2. #2 Re: Arranging Shipping (within China) from Taobao 
    I propose go out a find a bike shop that looks reliable and buy the bike directly there. Maybe you spent some more RMB but you also have a personal contact in warranty cases.
    On my former X5 have been several items that needed replacement. So it was easy to go to the dealer and get it replaced.
    A TaoBao shopping needs tools, knowledge and suitable location for maintenance.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

3. #3 Re: Arranging Shipping (within China) from Taobao 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    I propose go out a find a bike shop that looks reliable and buy the bike directly there. Maybe you spent some more RMB but you also have a personal contact in warranty cases.
    On my former X5 have been several items that needed replacement. So it was easy to go to the dealer and get it replaced.
    A TaoBao shopping needs tools, knowledge and suitable location for maintenance.
    ...yeah, I guess that's definitely an option. I'm poor..so I'd love to save a few bucks. But it might just not be feasible. Thanks for the reply.

4. #4 Re: Arranging Shipping (within China) from Taobao 
    effertime I am in Chengdu give me a call I have tools, its easy to assemble the bike at the freight depot and take some gas from my bike put it in yours
    135 4818 4561

5. #5 Re: Arranging Shipping (within China) from Taobao 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    effertime I am in Chengdu give me a call I have tools, its easy to assemble the bike at the freight depot and take some gas from my bike put it in yours
    135 4818 4561
    holy shit! Thanks a lot. I'll give you a call.

6. #6 Re: Arranging Shipping (within China) from Taobao 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Reading between the lines... I'd go with the idea and recommendation to buy from a Bricks and Mortar dealership in your town. If and when things go to hell on your ride, it is far easier most of the time for you to deal with a dealer nearby than some identity on Taobao of all places. If you have servicing concerns or warranty to deal with then that is far easier with a dealer nearby with whom you have a far better chance of developing a relationship with than some identity who can disappear into the ether any second. Don't for a moment take on good faith that the photos you see displayed on Taobao are an accurate reflection of the item you might receive since Photoshop are Chinese most used and hacked app/software. I've gievn up counting the number of sales on TB that are anything but what are advertised or appear to be on TB. Just as importantly, make sure that if you do decide to bite the bullet and buy from a seller (it's prudent to use the term "seller" since you have no idea whether or not you are really dealing with a "dealer" on TB [again lots of BS on TB with regards to supposed dealers who have nice photos of a sales/store when in fact no such location or store exists]).

A local dealer to you will, generally speaking, put the final touches on your ride in terms of pre-purchase assembly, fluids, connect battery, inspection(I use the term loosely) and so on (though the quality and standards to this can vary widely), with a TB seller you as you have found out are on your own. The other big question mark on a bike bought through TB concerns knowing what paperwork/documents etc you need, and what the TB seller will supply you for your money... since something arriving from elsewhere doesn't always equate to meaning that you can legally get it plated some place else. And again if the seller doesn't supply the correct documents you could find yourself up shiet creek without a paddle, stuck with a lemon you can't get plated. Just a word of caution in that regard. Don't take the seller on face value either. They often say anything to close a deal, get your money and supply a product or item far from what's expected. Lastly always, but always, only deal with a seller who agrees to take the item back within a specific time frame beyond delivery, and quantify just who will be liable for the freight costs to/from the seller. Shipping bikes from a dealer can appear cheap, but not so when one has to arrange this the other way round (back to the seller). Also always insist on using Alipay for payments (the escrow payment protection service tied to Taobao). Any seller who refuses to use Alipay should be avoided at all costs, with loud warning bells.

At the end of the day, buying local is the way to go for someone in your situation, even though it will cost more initially, buying from a TB seller might just work out costing you more in the longer term...

7. #7 Re: Arranging Shipping (within China) from Taobao 
    I'll put my points in simplified form.....

-Great choice choosing Jianshe, you'll be getting mostly a YBR without the name, so being low on money it makes sense.
    -I agree with Bikerdoc I'd say go with a dealer.
    -Firstly you've got someone to get the bike plated, leave a deposit and then you can get them to do the work getting it ride able doing that yourself is a huge PITA.
    -The bike could be assembled from the correct parts but actually not be a factory bike, therefore no VIN plate and no registration (maybe) eg Jialing JH125 assembled from parts costs 4000, but a factory legal bike is 8-9000.
    -Taobao dealers can be dodgy and send the wrong thing and refuse to take it back and return your money.
    -If you are low on money a decent registered 2nd hand bike could be a less hassle option.
    -The one thing I wouldn't worry about is losing dealer warranty, most dealers have mechanics that are useless, because good mechanics work for themselves and their warranty service is appallingly slow. Good Yamaha parts are cheap and cheap to fit.

I'd say even with Zhu's kind offer to help you, I still think there is only 70% chance you'll end up riding a road legal bike after a month.