Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 CFMOTO to pay $725,000 EPA fine for importing non-certified vehicles 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Source: Dealernews
    Publish Date: Posted by Holly Wagner Publish Date: Mar 5, 2014

WASHINGTON, D.C. – CFMOTO and its parent company in China will pay a $725,000 fine and replace fuel tanks in about 1,000 vehicles under a settlement with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that claimed the companies imported more than 12,000 ATVs and on-highway motorcycles without proper emissions certifications.

In the settlement, approved by the Agency’s Environmental Appeals Board, EPA alleged that more than 12,000 highway motorcycles and recreational vehicles imported by CFMOTO and its parent between 2007 and 2013 were not certified by EPA, in accordance with Clean Air Act (CAA) emission standards.
    Of these, EPA found that 993 vehicles had fuel tanks that did not operate properly to control evaporative emissions, or gasoline vapors, and that about 1,400 vehicles were imported without proper emission control information labels.

CFMOTO Powersports Inc., (a successor to CFMOTO America Inc.) based in Plymouth, Minn., and Zhejiang CFMOTO Power Co. Ltd. and Chunfeng Holding Group Co. Ltd., both based in China, will pay a combined civil penalty of $725,000, the agency said.

In addition to the penalty, the companies must institute a recall and fuel tank replacement program to replace all uncertified fuel tanks with certified ones to prevent any excess gasoline vapors. The companies must also correct the emission control information labels for vehicles that are still within the control of the companies.

EPA discovered the alleged violations through joint inspections conducted with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Bureau of Customs and Border Protection and through a review of importation documents and other information provided by the companies.

CFMOTO Powersports Inc. is a Minnesota corporation that holds certificates of conformity and imports highway motorcycles and recreational vehicles manufactured by Zhejiang CFMoto Power Co., Ltd. and ChunFeng Holding Group Co. Ltd., both Chinese companies. CFMOTO America Inc. is a now-dissolved Michigan corporation that was the predecessor to CFMOTO Powersports Inc.

EPA filed an administrative complaint against CFMOTO Powersports in April 2013 and reached agreement on the settlement through an alternative dispute resolution process.

More information on the settlement

2. #2 Re: CFMOTO to pay $725,000 EPA fine for importing non-certified vehicles 
    C-Moto Regular
    I am in the UK and experiencing this very problem with the vapour... It is so strong that when I open my garage door in the mornings the extremely strong smell of fumes that have accumulated over night give me serious concerns over safety issues. it is very worrying the fumes are so pungent that I consider them to be a serious fire risk. Our bedroom is over the garage. I have reported this to the dealer who has been very slow to take up the seriousness of my compliant. The bike is now with the dealer again... For further investigation, now that I have found this article I have printed it out, and will be taking to him this morning. I have also decided to speak to UK trading standards this morning to make them aware of this problem and about this article. Thanks for posting the article on here.

3. #3 Re: CFMOTO to pay $725,000 EPA fine for importing non-certified vehicles 
    Many, many Chinese companies have been crossing their fingers and bringing in bikes to the US and getting fined. Roketa, which used to be a brand, but is now a distributor, found its owner jailed for bringing in "phantom" bikes to the US. He had Shineray as one of his OEMs, and then found another lower cost OEM, and had a long list of VIN numbers and build plates which were slapped on the phantom bikes as if they were Shineray. There were hundreds of thousands of bikes involved!

650TR--as far as your bike, it does not sound safe whatever is happening! Leave the bike outside if it is causing so much concern. Hopefully your dealer will take care of you! Has anyone here on Mychinamoto or local friends with CFMoto bikes reported anything similar. Oh, and you should contact CFMoto's distributor for the UK besides the dealer. This could be a "ticking time bomb" waiting to happen. Your dealer might blow it off, but the distributor cannot risk the very negative PR that might arise from an accident--especially if they had issues elsewhere such as in the US. Good luck!!

4. #4 Re: CFMOTO to pay $725,000 EPA fine for importing non-certified vehicles 
    C-Moto Regular
    Contacted by the dealership yesterday who say they have replaced the upper and lower race bearings, they had to use cf moto bearings to ensure the 18 months or so of the warranty remained valid. They have also investigated the tank vapour issue and claim to have resolved that - what that actually means not sure yet as won't be collecting the bike till tomorrow. They have faxed the info I printed out to WK Bikes about the fuel vapour problem in the U.S.

I will reserve judgement on both problem solutions until I have used the bike for a week or so.

As for the race bearings as they have used cf moto bearings I will be keeping a very close eye on whether they deteriorate rapidly then consider what my options and actions will be.

5. #5 Re: CFMOTO to pay $725,000 EPA fine for importing non-certified vehicles 
    CFMOTO: Company has 'fully complied' with EPA, replaces consulting firm

Source: Dealernews
    Publish Date: Apr 10, 2014

PLYMOUTH, Minn. - Management at CFMOTO says the company has "fully cooperated and complied with the EPA" in relation to the agency's claim that CFMOTO vehicles were imported to the United States over several years without the required emissions certifications.

In an announcement dated March 4 and received by Dealernews on April 9, CFMOTO said it is replacing the fuel tanks on 993 vehicles as part of the agreement with EPA that also requires the company to pay a $725,000 fine for importing, according to EPA, about 12,000 vehicles without the required emissions certifications.

CFMOTO also said it has replaced its "EPA approved outside certification consulting company during the time of the claim," according to the announcement issued by Dave Auringer, vice president of sales and marketing for CFMOTO U.S.

“We will comply with all regulations and requirements to continue our commitment to our strong dealers and growing number of customers in the U.S. market. We have management systems in place to insure that this oversight will never happen again," said Mr. Lai, president of CFMOTO Worldwide and CFMOTO U.S., in the March 4 announcement.

6. #6 Re: CFMOTO to pay $725,000 EPA fine for importing non-certified vehicles 
    C-Moto Noob
    I'm from Malaysia and so interested to import CF Motor 650TK to Malaysia. So I need to know how to do it

7. #7 Re: CFMOTO to pay $725,000 EPA fine for importing non-certified vehicles 
    C-Moto Regular
    I would say don't bother, import another make :)

8. #8 Re: CFMOTO to pay $725,000 EPA fine for importing non-certified vehicles 
    Quote Originally Posted by cameroul View Post
    I'm from Malaysia and so interested to import CF Motor 650TK to Malaysia. So I need to know how to do it
    Why do you want to import a CF650TR/TK?

If you want to import a single unit, look at other brands. If you're considering an import dealer/distributor concept, then PM me and I'll put you in touch with CFMoto, (but not before some advice).

If you are seriously looking for a sport tourer to buy for yourself, why not consider the Kawasaki ER-6F made in Thailand, Thailand being part of ASEAN group and located within the Asian region you might find that there are better import policies and tax breaks in place. Comparing CFMoto with say, Kawasaki, then the latter is an altogether way better product IMO. The only reason I have bought 3 CFMoto products (and still own 2 of the 3), is simply because many of the alternatives in PRC are ridiculously expensive, and more importantly most of the imported models still represent a compromise on the model(s) I really want. I've only suggested you consider the Kwaka ER-6F since that is the closest model made in Thailand that resembles a sport tourer even though it doesn't have the panniers as the CF650TR/TK does, however the Honda CBR500 also is a consideration in this category too IMO.

There are other altogether more reliable makes and models also made in Thailand that are worth considering e.g. Kawasaki KLE650 (Versys), Honda CBR500, CB500F, CB500X (my personal favourite after having ridden a CB500X over 15000km in NW Thailand for 7 weeks earlier this year). There was also discussion going on in the motorcycle fraternity about Kawasaki's plans to have the KLR650 built in Thailand starting this year, though this is not confirmed AFAIK.

My point is that outside of PRC and a few other third world countries where brand barriers exist, I wouldn't give CFMoto or any of the PRC motorcycle manufacturers a second look, actually they wouldn't even be given a cursory glance sideways, but that's my opinion. Oh and I don't discriminate, I apply that fundamental view-point across all product ranges, not just motorcycles (where possible). I'd advise you to reconsider a CFMoto if you have the option to buy a Jap bike, do so. Generally it's likely to be more reliable, serviceable, have better dealer and part support, brand awareness and resale value. The CFMoto will be a bit hit-and-miss on all these fronts.

YMMV.

9. #9 Re: CFMOTO to pay $725,000 EPA fine for importing non-certified vehicles 
    I'd have another look at CFMOTO after they are five years into their KTM partnership, if they have have the models I like and it would be a CFMOTO joint venture bike and a KTM model, I am still living in China.

If I was anywhere else in the world a Honda Sports tourer, Honda or Triumph for race and street bikes, I'd never look at anything else, to be fair that includes little interest even in Kawasaki and Suzuki. let alone anything Chinese. I like Honda and Triumph, can't help it.

10. #10 Re: CFMOTO to pay $725,000 EPA fine for importing non-certified vehicles 
    C-Moto Regular
    I have to say, I went into buying a 650TR believing it would be good value. Hoping that it would not be as troublesome as reports I had seen about previous Chinese bikes. I have owned the bike for 7 months and it was fine for the first couple of months. But since then has spent considerable time in the garage for warranty work covering several faults that I can only describe as poor attention to detail during manufacturing. I was hoping that it would last me for the period of finance I have on the bike. But alas, this is not to be I have complained to the dealership and finance company about the standard of the bike. But it seems the only way I am going to solve my problems is to take a massive hit on losing loads of money and px it against a different make at the dealership where I bought it... Why you may ask, well it's due to the fact that no one else wants it at any cost!!
    So very expensive lesson learnt... avoid any Chinese motorbikes like the plague...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast