Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Other people registering plates for you 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    ...If possible, have a Chinese friend accompany you to a reputable dealer to act as a translator. Less expensive, fewer hassles, IMHO...
    I'd suggest going a step further, taking a friend who is at least familiar with vehicles, licensing and if possible has some clues about the nuances with motorcycles and licensing of them. As an added requirement the friend should have really good comprehensive understanding of English if ones own Mandarin ability/skills are poor. Less chance for some cross-cultural misunderstanding to take place... tall order, but doable. Worst thing to do is to take a young Chinese female who has little to no clue... YMMV

2. #12 Re: Other people registering plates for you 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    OP, one other thing just to keep in the back of your mind whether it has relevance to your situation now or not is, that, the rules and ways of doing things in one location in PRC, may or may not apply elsewhere in PRC.

One can liberally apply this philosophy towards everything in PRC including our beloved motorcycles and motorcycling.

It's as though PRC is one kingdoOm (sic), full of multiple little and not so little empires.

Just sayin...
    YMMV

3. #13 Re: Other people registering plates for you 
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies!
    I just have a follow-up because I'm still not sure I've fully got the process. Mostly I'm wondering, at what point to you need to register a license. For instance, if I got a bike off taobao (so far with dealers here I haven't been super satisfied from what I've seen) is there a time frame in which I'd have to register? Also, if i buy a bike from someone second-hand that has no plates, can I register it myself? I guess i'm just unclear about how the whole plate process works. I've asked friends here, but because nobody really seems to know because nobody has plates (small city)

I'm thinking now that maybe the best route is to get temporary residency in the neighboring country (only 30 mins away) and register the bike there once I have temporary residency, because it seems like it'll be less hassle.

Thanks!

4. #14 Re: Other people registering plates for you 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by njbrwn View Post
    ... I'm still not sure I've fully got the process.
    As bikerdoc notes ... "it depends" on where you live. Your location is showing "Beijing" ... accurate? Your posts suggest you might be somewhere else.

Mostly I'm wondering, at what point to you need to register a license. For instance, if I got a bike off taobao (so far with dealers here I haven't been super satisfied from what I've seen) is there a time frame in which I'd have to register?
    You plate a bike, in Beijing, as soon as you purchase it. In theory, you have a short grace period (nobody really knows, for sure, how long that is ... as it is at the discretion of the Traffic Management Bureau).

Plating a taobao bike in/around Beijing will be tricky, to say the least. Understandably, no dealer would help you, and an agent would probably charge you extra for the hassle & complications. Your taobao savings would be consumed, and it would be a huge headache, in Beijing.

Also, if i buy a bike from someone second-hand that has no plates, can I register it myself?
    Nope, not in Beijing. Not a chance. Of course, the dealers/sellers will tell you whatever they think you want to hear.

I guess i'm just unclear about how the whole plate process works.
    Welcome to the club.

I'm thinking now that maybe the best route is to get temporary residency in the neighboring country (only 30 mins away) and register the bike there once I have temporary residency, because it seems like it'll be less hassle.
    Good luck with that one, especially in/around Beijing. It simply won't work. But, again, if you're not in/around Beijing you might be able to do this in one of the many, many other empires. Just don't plan on being able to legally use a foreign-plated bike in/around Beijing.

5. #15 Re: Other people registering plates for you 
    i'm actually in Jiangxi (just changed that) so maybe there's a bit more leverage. I'm headed over to the Traffic Management Bureau today so maybe I can get some answers, but i'm also assuming there's a bit more flexibility over here
    And for going to neighboring country i meant to say neighboring county haha. feels a lot more feasible.
    also, if I have plates on a bike from another city, persay Jing B's, and am riding in Jiangxi, is that kosher? I have a buddy in Beijing that is looking to sell his bike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12